Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yea I really wanted a tune but now I'm to scared. Wait.... I have a tune! Yay!!!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I'm going with a slight change of plan; installing the CAI and A/B exhaust without the tune for now. I will wait on the tune for a while and see what happens. The CAI and A/B can easily be swapped if there's a need. The sad part, naturally, is the tune is the main gain...it's almost like poking a hole in a rubber. What's the point?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm going with a slight change of plan; installing the CAI and A/B exhaust without the tune for now. I will wait on the tune for a while and see what happens. The CAI and A/B can easily be swapped if there's a need. The sad part, naturally, is the tune is the main gain...it's almost like poking a hole in a rubber. What's the point?
My thoughts and change of plans exactly lol.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

Make sure it a non tune required CAI

That does suck, if I had a new stang like you guys, I'd probably wait a couple years before I tuned it. At least let the bumper-to-bumper run out first.

Well, at least the new 5.0 is a freaking monster straight out of the factory:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I'm guessing you mean the "no tune required" cai with the insert?
Yep. One of the reasons I went with Airaid. Tune or no tune. I also want to delete the sound tube and the Airaid kit includes everything you need for that as well.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Staying stock here. As my car is a garage queen, Ill be seeing the 5 years before the 60,000 on the powertrain warranty. Its all good though, it's kinda fast stock :yelwacko:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Most of these failures have been the same "tooners," pick a good one and I don't think you'll have any trouble. I personally use Amazon Racing because Rick drives a 2011 that is his primary transportation. He's been doing it as long as anyone and has had zero failures.

·
Registered
203 Posts
:bigthumbsup
think about it
when you load your custom tune via sct tuner,it shows you a disclaimer.... that if you blow up your engine its NOT their FAULT!
so why do you want Ford to cover it:?:,
the tuners will not even warranty it
!
same with bama sales video! they should cut out the part where he starts talking about.....(sounds little harsh) how to abuse the ford warranty system

just start listen at 3min 41sec

YouTube - ‪Tuning 101 - Bama Custom Tuning at AmericanMuscle‬‏

dont get me wrong i like the bama tunes!

you play you pay!
thats it

·
Registered
826 Posts
So let see, if you get a Tune, have a problem, the dealer suspects the cause was a Tune, Ford denies your warranty claim, void's your power train warranty, sticking you with a potential $6000 service bill, or worse, leaving you stranded with a broken engine.

Now here's the twist. If you are financed through Ford Motor Credit, maybe someone experiencing the above situation should consider using a strong-arm tactic against Ford if they won't play nice, forcing Ford to fix your car. If you had to pay for the repair, potentially costing you $6000, you tell Ford to keep their car if they won't repair it, you stop paying for the car, and then take your $6000 and put a down payment on another car before the blown engine car hits your credit. Either way, Ford will still have to fix your abandoned car, while you acquire another car.

While I don't condone this, and the approach is very aggressive and morally wrong, you're credit will get screwed, but people, you have to be aware that consumers do have options.

I'm just saying....

·
Registered
585 Posts
Very interesting. I had an oil leak and they had to drop my transmission to replace the rear main seal. After I got my car back I started to get misfiring (flashing CEL) and eventually a solid CEL that would not go away. I did some searching and found this...
21474 SOME VEHICLES COULD EXHIBIT MISFIRE CODES AFTER CERTAIN REPAIRS - MULTIPLE VEHICLE LINES
SOME VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ON BOARD DIAGNSTICS (OBD) MISFIRE MONITOR NEUTRAL PROFILE LEARNING CAPABILITIES MAY EXPERIENCE THE MIL ILLUMINATING ACCOMPANIED BY ONE OR MORE ENGINE MISFIRE CODES P030X IF THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR PROFILE (MP_LRN) IS NOT RELEARNED FOLLOWING CERTAIN HARD ENGINE REPAIRS. THE MP_LRN DATA IS NO LONGER CLEARED WITH A KAM RESET OR BATTERY DISCONNECT. REPAIRS THAT REQUIRE RELEARNING THE MP_LRN DATA: CRANK SENSOR,CRANK SENSOR, TRIGGER WHEEL, ENGINE TIMING, DAMPER, CRANKSHAFT, ENGINE, FLYWHEEL/FLEXPLATE, CLUTCH (MANUAL TRANS), PRESSURE PLATE (MANUAL TRANS),TORQUE CONVERTER (AUTO TRANS). FROM THE IDS TOOLBOX SELECT "POWERTRAIN", THEN "SERVICE FUNCTIONS", THEN "MISFIRE MONITOR NEUTRAL PROFILE CORRECTION" AND FOLLOW THE PROMPTS.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 08/26/2010

21463 2010-2011 5.0L/6.2L - MISFIRE CODES P0300-P0316
SOME 2011 MUSTANG VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 5.0L ENGINE AND 2010 F150 AND 2011SUPERDUTY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 6.2L ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT THE MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP ILLUMINATING ACCOMPANIED BY ONE OR MORE DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES P0300 THROUGH P0316. IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR PROFILE (MP_LRN) BE RELEARNED PRIOR TO PERFORMING THE PC/ED PINPOINT TESTS FOR THESE CODES. FROM THE IDS TOOLBOX SELECT "POWERTRAIN", THEN "SERVICE FUNCTIONS", THEN "MISFIRE MONITOR NEUTRAL PROFILE CORRECTION" AND FOLLOW THE PROMPTS. IF ONE OR MORE OF THE MISFIRE CODES RETURN AFTER PERFORMING THE RELEARN PROCEDURE, REFER TO THE PC/ED PINPOINT TESTS.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 08/17/2010

And this TSB

Here is where it gets interesting. In this new TSB about modification or after market components they have this:
Common failures associated with unauthorized modifications have included:

• DTCs present indicating cylinder misfires (P0300 - P0308)
So, there was a TSB out there that specifically addressed misfiring for "some 2011 Mustang vehicles built on or before 8/16/2010" and called for installing the latest calibration on the PCM. Plus, if you have certain major repairs that require relearning the crankshaft position sensor profile and the tech forgets to do this you could end up with one of the codes above, as I did, but yet these same codes could be a red flag for a dealer to potentially initiate the warranty cancellation process.

The tech who did my repair did not do the procedure to trigger the relearning of the crankshaft position sensor profile and I ended up getting the misfiring codes after I took the car home. This did not become apparent until I got on the gas hard a couple of times about two days later and kicked up the RPMs. I had to bring it back for them to do the relearning procedure and everything is perfectly fine now.

I'm just really glad this new TSB was not out last week. What's next, if you exceed the speed limit we'll void your warranty :thumbdown

·
Registered
646 Posts
No, you are in left field with that one. It doesn't read anything like that. Falsely setting misfire codes due to forgetting a procedure is a far cry from a cylinder with no compression due to broken ring lands...... You guys need to sit down and actually read and comprehend that. Nowhere does it state or even suggest half of the things people are pulling out of it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
No, you are in left field with that one. It doesn't read anything like that. Falsely setting misfire codes due to forgetting a procedure is a far cry from a cylinder with no compression due to broken ring lands...... You guys need to sit down and actually read and comprehend that. Nowhere does it state or even suggest half of the things people are pulling out of it.
I honestly haven't had the time to read through it, but it seems as if you have read it and have a good understanding of it. Mind if I ask for cliff notes?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Basically, the TSB puts in writing that damage resulting from modifications is not warrantable (which is obvious) and it also guides the technician on how to determine if a failure is due to modifications. None of this is new news or anything unique to Ford, it is simply now in writing like every other manufacturer. They only put these out to identify common failures directly resulting from modifications (like our mysterious #8 failures that some shoddy tuners have tarnished).

As for the Magnusson Moss stuff, sure that obviously still holds true. Ford isn't going to do anything that will cause them to get stomped on in court. HOWEVER, if they are publishing a bulletin to specifically diag your burnt #8 or the like, you better believe they will have tons of case documentation, examples, and proof to confirm that your tune or whatever caused it. This wouldn't be out if the legal department wasn't on board I'm sure. That law is very much a double edged sword, not a get out of jail free card like many try to suggest.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Falsely setting misfire codes due to forgetting a procedure is a far cry from a cylinder with no compression due to broken ring lands......
I don't disagree but my point was that the fact this thing is so broad, and it includes some things that could even be caused by careless techs, sets the stage for some potential aggravation in trying to prove to a dealer that you have a legit issue and not one caused by an aftermarket mod.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Agreed. Unfortunately, that can happen with or without modifications even if this document didn't exist. Nothing can fix a stupid or ignorant tech.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Choose your dealer wisely. Talk to the service writers a bit and make a call. You go to a place that's being audited for too many engine repairs and your odds go way down. There are plenty of stores that want happy customers and will apply common sense to a repair evaluation.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts