Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just loaded my 93 bama street tune before I read this lol. This seems to be the most conservative compared to the performance and racing tune so hopefully I have more margin for error if there is some.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The MM Warranty Act PROHIBITS dealers/manufacturers from denying warranties/claims for failures that WERE NOT caused by unauthorized aftermarket parts/procedures, i.e Ford CANNOT deny a warranty claim for 2nd gear because you have an aftermarket exhaust. They would have to PROVE your aftermarket exhaust CAUSED 2nd gear to go. This is nothing new.
The only way you're effected is if you PLANNED on getting Ford to foot the bill for a problem caused by your modification(s). If this is the case, then you deserve what you get.
You get informed about the mods you do to your car, and the possibility of them causing problems, then make your decision.

·
Registered
627 Posts
The MM Warranty Act PROHIBITS dealers/manufacturers from denying warranties/claims for failures that WERE NOT caused by unauthorized aftermarket parts/procedures, i.e Ford CANNOT deny a warranty claim for 2nd gear because you have an aftermarket exhaust. They would have to PROVE your aftermarket exhaust CAUSED 2nd gear to go. This is nothing new.
The only way you're effected is if you PLANNED on getting Ford to foot the bill for a problem caused by your modification(s). If this is the case, then you deserve what you get.
You get informed about the mods you do to your car, and the possibility of them causing problems, then make your decision.
Easy...

Your exhaust components increased the engines TQ/HP output above the factory specifications, there by exposing other drive line components (transmission) to power beyond the scope of what they were designed for.

WARRANTY CANCELED.

Now go pay your lawyer and sue Ford Moto Co for the next 2 years, judges aren't mechanics either and don't think like them...

Screw warranty anyway... If your going to mod your car and something breaks - build it or replace it with something stronger so it doesn't break (or dont mod your car if you cant pay to play).

·
Registered
826 Posts
This is whole situation is so screwed up. Used to be that about the only thing that could destroy our Mustang motors was Nitrous or Supercharger/Turbo's, now we have to worry about Tunes and Air Filters potentially destroying our motors.

I know the cases of this happening are very small, but I can't help but be worried about simply installing some properly working, non-bouncy, good rebounding, struts/shocks on my car without Ford potentially looking to void part of my warranty, much less anything other than a Ford branded Air Filter, which is ridiculous in its own right.

Just imagine someones horror if they had a noise in the front suspension, which turned out to be bad stock control arm bushings, but because some they installed better struts, with or without stock/aftermarket springs, Ford could then try to void that warranty claim by relating the control arm bushing to the different strut.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
This is whole situation is so screwed up. Used to be that about the only thing that could destroy our Mustang motors was Nitrous or Supercharger/Turbo's, now we have to worry about Tunes and Air Filters potentially destroying our motors.

I know the cases of this happening are very small, but I can't help but be worried about simply installing some properly working, non-bouncy, good rebounding, struts/shocks on my car without Ford potentially looking to void part of my warranty, much less anything other than a Ford branded Air Filter, which is ridiculous in its own right.

Just imagine someones horror if they had a noise in the front suspension, which turned out to be bad stock control arm bushings, but because some they installed better struts, with or without stock/aftermarket springs, Ford could then try to void that warranty claim by relating the control arm bushing to the different strut.
we always had to worry about a tune destroying the motor. thats nothing new.

·
Registered
58 Posts
In reality adding any part to increase airflow or reduce back preassure is a modification to the air flor requirments of the motor. With this the "stock calibration" is altered. Any way you look at it the warranty can be voided. Looking at what Ford is doing it is safe to say all we can do is install Ford's power pack. I love my car but I regret selling my 1999 Cobra and 1999 Lightning to get it. I should have bought a Focus and finshed my Cobra build.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I wonder if you got your gears swapped in an automatic to 3.73's and calibrated your speedo(no performance tune) with a tuner be enough of a reason to void your warranty in their eyes?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I wonder if you got your gears swapped in an automatic to 3.73's and calibrated your speedo(no performance tune) with a tuner be enough of a reason to void your warranty in their eyes?
I had Bama send me a pseudo-stock tune where it's simply my car's strategy file but modified to accomodate for my 3.73s. I doubt it would make any difference to Ford, but in case I get weary of having a tune that brings more power I can just switch to that.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I was thinking of a tune but I am thinking of another approach. How about the Edelbrock E Force Super Charger. It can be had with a full drive train warranty at additional cost. Besides how many people after they get a tune want more? Yes it is a lot of money but a blown engine with no warranty is expensive also.

·
Registered
435 Posts
So let see, if you get a Tune, have a problem, the dealer suspects the cause was a Tune, Ford denies your warranty claim, void's your power train warranty, sticking you with a potential $6000 service bill, or worse, leaving you stranded with a broken engine.

Now here's the twist. If you are financed through Ford Motor Credit, maybe someone experiencing the above situation should consider using a strong-arm tactic against Ford if they won't play nice, forcing Ford to fix your car. If you had to pay for the repair, potentially costing you $6000, you tell Ford to keep their car if they won't repair it, you stop paying for the car, and then take your $6000 and put a down payment on another car before the blown engine car hits your credit. Either way, Ford will still have to fix your abandoned car, while you acquire another car.

While I don't condone this, and the approach is very aggressive and morally wrong, you're credit will get screwed, but people, you have to be aware that consumers do have options.

I'm just saying....
Now I get your disclaimer at the end about how you don't condone doing something like this, but I have to add my own disclaimer:

Doing this will do nothing but rape your credit score and will likely end up costing more money in the end due to the CRAZY HIGH interest rates you'd ever likely see after a stunt like this.

Ford Credit is a division within FoMoCo, just like everything else. They could care less what everyone else is doing, they care about their department. They WILL NOT intervene on a warranty claim to save themselves from going through the hassle of a foreclosure and repossession. It's not their car, it's the owner's car. But they will take it from you if you don't make the payments. Nobody in the BANK that is Ford Credit is going to give a hoot why you didn't make your payments.

As stated above, this TSB changes nothing. To tune a car under warranty requires the understanding that you may damage something; to expect Ford to pay for it is madness. I haven't spent much time on here, but I am a mod at a Ford truck site and have yet to see someone complain about voided warranty who hadn't either neglected it or tuned it. Ford wants satisfied customers who return to buy more cars; screwing them out of warranty work is counter-productive.

·
Registered
437 Posts
OMG the sky is falling! Wait, no it isn't. Nothing changed with this TSB. There was always the chance that if you get caught modifying your car that you may have a warranty claim denied if they suspect your modification contributed to the problem.

As for an exhaust voiding my warranty because it pushed more power through the drivetrain than it is spec'd for, they can't pull that crap on me because I live at high altitude where I have 75 less hp than you sea level folks. So adding 15hp with some exhaust work still leaves me 60hp short of a bone stock car at sea level. So if something breaks up here, it certainly wasn't from pushing power beyond specs unless I go forced induction, in which case I'm obviously foregoing my warranty unless I buy the Ford Racing or Roush Kit and get a warranty through them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Easy...

Your exhaust components increased the engines TQ/HP output above the factory specifications, there by exposing other drive line components (transmission) to power beyond the scope of what they were designed for.

WARRANTY CANCELED.

Now go pay your lawyer and sue Ford Moto Co for the next 2 years, judges aren't mechanics either and don't think like them...

Screw warranty anyway... If your going to mod your car and something breaks - build it or replace it with something stronger so it doesn't break (or dont mod your car if you cant pay to play).
Wrong.

Your warranty will not automatically be canceled if you modify the system and the dealer detects it.

Your warranty may be DENIED if there is a problem with the powertrain and you have a tune.

You can have a tuned/modified car and have NO issues with the powertrain. Your warranty will still be in effect until something breaks and can be attributed to the tune.

·
Registered
92 Posts
And for people bitching about Ford, this is common practice from ANY can manufacturer. Mess with the OEM components, if something fails, and the modified part(s) caused it, your warranty could be denied.

I have a Lotus Exige S. This car is essentially a street legal car designed for the track. Lotus put out a bulletin that people racing their cars would have their warranty denied in full. An owner had engine trouble. The dealer had found posts of his on a forum about him tracking the car and denied the warranty.

So this is absolutely nothing new. Ford just issued this TSB to remind the dealers and to end all of the speculation on the forums. On top of that, I suspect there have been a "more than normal" number of failures and Ford is looking for common causes and modifications. Mission accomplished.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Easy...

WARRANTY CANCELED.

Yeah..? You show me 3 Mustangs, and I'll show you 3 different hp readings. You show me a dyno chart with an axle back installed, and I'll show you a stock Mustang that puts out more power.
As far as hiring lawyers, you can't bring a lawyer into Small Claims.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Post #23 at the link below sums it up better than any post I've read on numerous forums.
TSB concerning aftermarket tuning and modifications - Page 2 - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums
Completely agree, thanks for posting this!

lidserra said:
I read these threads and really laugh. Let me start with, I work for a powertrain component supplier and have investigated a couple 100 engine failures due to a supposed safe performance component being installed.

Let me tell you all, the engine manufacturers know what a performance induced/calibration failure looks like. We spend 100's of hours in durability dyno cells doing what the tuners do. The difference, we test for 2000 - 5000 hours to see a) what is the long term inpact, b) does the engine meet end of life emissions and fuel economy standards c) does the engine meet it's b10 and b50 life targets. (B10 = 10% failure and b50 = 50% failure). If your not sure what it means, read a package of light bulbs in your local Home Depot. When the package says lasts 1000 hours, this is the B50 life of the bulb. This means that 50% will fail before 1000 hours and 50 % will last longer.

Ok, regarding warranties... if you want to have Ford or any other manufacturer pay for failures, leave it as it was delivered. If you want to tune, play, tweak or what ever, be prepared to either have you component supplier (and if you read their warranties, they do not cover consequential damage) cover the failure or put some money aside for yourself.

Regarding disconnecting the battery.. don't you think the engine manufacturer would have thought about that? The engine control unit timestamps when the calibrations have be altered, they time stamp when they loose power, they record how much time elapsed between the loss of power and key cycles, and the emissions monitors all reset and require a prescribed number of drive cycles before they set to pass.

If you have a good dealer, they know the fingerprint of someone trying to hide a tune.. been there done that... it takes us about 10 minutes after we download the PCM to figure it out.. we know as much as the tuners do.

You can debate all you want if it is fair, but at the end of the day.. the warranty is for how they built the car for you.. not how you wanted to change it... if you tune.. pull up your pants, roll your dice and stop whining...

OK, I zipped up my flack vest.. hope you all have a great holiday weekend and enjoy your rides.. I'm off to pick up my new one today!

Lid Serra

·
Registered
170 Posts
I want to know more about these tunes causing faults. Reading the posts on here where people with tunes and bolt ons from the major companies are hitting the track and am hearing of no problems. I havent seen any post where someone is blaming their broken engine on a tune yet.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I want to know more about these tunes causing faults. Reading the posts on here where people with tunes and bolt ons from the major companies are hitting the track and am hearing of no problems. I havent seen any post where someone is blaming their broken engine on a tune yet.
Never seen an owner blame his engine failure on the tune, but remember that people don't want to admit responsibility for a high-dollar repair. Here's one who was tuned and broke his engine:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-gt-tech/301915-looking-other-members-cylinder-8-failures.html

Of course he blames Ford, but they were right to deny his engine damage because of the tuner he installed.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts