Ford Mustang Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Now I get your disclaimer at the end about how you don't condone doing something like this, but I have to add my own disclaimer:

Doing this will do nothing but rape your credit score and will likely end up costing more money in the end due to the CRAZY HIGH interest rates you'd ever likely see after a stunt like this.

Ford Credit is a division within FoMoCo, just like everything else. They could care less what everyone else is doing, they care about their department. They WILL NOT intervene on a warranty claim to save themselves from going through the hassle of a foreclosure and repossession. It's not their car, it's the owner's car. But they will take it from you if you don't make the payments. Nobody in the BANK that is Ford Credit is going to give a hoot why you didn't make your payments.

As stated above, this TSB changes nothing. To tune a car under warranty requires the understanding that you may damage something; to expect Ford to pay for it is madness. I haven't spent much time on here, but I am a mod at a Ford truck site and have yet to see someone complain about voided warranty who hadn't either neglected it or tuned it. Ford wants satisfied customers who return to buy more cars; screwing them out of warranty work is counter-productive.
Yeah FoMoCredit won't care. They'll sell the car w/ a blown engine for what they can and leave you on the hook for the remainder of the price between your loan amount and what they got for your car. + fees and all kinds of other BS. That would not be a very smart idea....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hum, all the guys at Amercian Muscle/Bama, Steeda and all the rest of the tuners sure are being mum on all this topic & thread. Sure would be nice to hear their side of the subject. Not stepping up and being quite just makes more suspicion.
I'm not against them or anything, the final burden is always on the end user, just seems like it's always brushed off. Appears that the Ford Racing/ProCal group is the only one that remotely puts any skin in the game. Come on guys, speak up.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Hum, all the guys at Amercian Muscle/Bama, Steeda and all the rest of the tuners sure are being mum on all this topic & thread. Sure would be nice to hear their side of the subject. Not stepping up and being quite just makes more suspicion.
I'm not against them or anything, the final burden is always on the end user, just seems like it's always brushed off. Appears that the Ford Racing/ProCal group is the only one that remotely puts any skin in the game. Come on guys, speak up.
I get what you are saying, but you "come on!" Do you really think they want to sell tuners that blow engines up? I doubt it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I haven't seen a Jon Lund tuned car blow their #8 cylinder or have any other tuner related issues. Weird it's usually the same tunes having the same issues.

This was always and issue, if you modified your car in a certain way and it was damaged due to the mod, the car manufacturer is not going to pay for it. Only difference is that Ford put out a TSB to stating what they would do.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've had diesels with high-powered chips, turbos, exhausts, etc. in the past so this is nothing new to me and it's the way it's always been. Like someone else said...... Ford is just reminding dealers to keep a check on warranty-voiding tunes and putting an end to speculation on the internet forums. I've always been the guy that constantly mods/changes my vehicles but I always remember in the back of my mind that if something ever goes wrong "I've gotta pay to play".

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Yeah, I don't see anything really new here. I mean it's an interesting debate of sorts, but at the end of the day the warranty is only intended for the condition the car was in at the time of sale (stock).

If you mod--any mod--and it's found the mod aided in a failure then you pay for it. Not really anything we didn't already know. If you take your car into the dealer with a bolt-on then they can see it. I always revert mine back to stock beforehand. However, you can't hide a tune. I'm sure there is a way, but I don't know what it is.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I hear putting the stock tune in, then running out the battery will clear the cache. Not sure if it works or not. I'd recommend not installing a tune, or not trying to defraud Ford if something does go wrong.

With that said, I'm more curious as to what's causing this specific failure than I am about whether or not someone gets a warranty claim.

Is it the reduction in knock sensors, bad gas, bad coolant for #8, why is it always the same type of failure on the same piston.... Give me answers!!! lol

·
Registered
87 Posts
I read these threads"Warning TSB is out, you mod u fail" and all i see is people buying a performance cars acting like this is something new for a manufacturer. I know its been said before but again " Ford must prove that the aftermarket part you installed or had done was the cause of the issue". All reports thus far are pointing to the tune, since when has a tune been bad for any car? Find the tuning company that tuned the car in question with cylinder #8 failure and use an alternate tuning solution. I dont know about anyone else here thats tuned, but my car runs a hell of alot better than it did with a stock tune. Honestly im scared to put my stock tune back on for fear of problems and slowness. I suggest anyone who purchased a 5.0L and is fearful of getting tuned or adding an intake, pls do the rest of us a favor and return your car for a fusion hybrid, because your shooting yourself in the foot with bad gas mileage.

-happy mustang owner here, had a shifting issue in the beginning, got it sorted out by ford with an INTAKE installed and have been happily modded and tuned since with no problems.

·
Registered
893 Posts
And for people bitching about Ford, this is common practice from ANY can manufacturer. Mess with the OEM components, if something fails, and the modified part(s) caused it, your warranty could be denied.

I have a Lotus Exige S. This car is essentially a street legal car designed for the track. Lotus put out a bulletin that people racing their cars would have their warranty denied in full. An owner had engine trouble. The dealer had found posts of his on a forum about him tracking the car and denied the warranty.
I'm glad you posted this for others to see.I've had a few people on different forums get a little upset because I dont talk about certan stuff on the internet regarding my car.

Heck I've heard of a guy who had his warranty voided because a dealer had footage of him racing his car at a local track.

This Magnason act comes up in every thread but the reality is you will be fighting a uphill battle against Ford Motor CO

Times have changed and these companies are using some pretty slick tactics to void warranties.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I have a Lotus Exige S. This car is essentially a street legal car designed for the track. Lotus put out a bulletin that people racing their cars would have their warranty denied in full. An owner had engine trouble. The dealer had found posts of his on a forum about him tracking the car and denied the warranty.
Mitsubishi will also do this. A friend of mine has an EVO X that suffered from some random engine problem (nothing major but nothing he could easily fix) the car was BONE STOCK and they denied any powertrain warranty work because they discovered that he had taken his car to an auto X event.

Fine print warranty lawyer jargon reveals that mitsubish will void a powertrain warranty if the car is driven in timed events. :nono:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I haven't seen a Jon Lund tuned car blow their #8 cylinder or have any other tuner related issues. Weird it's usually the same tunes having the same issues.

This was always and issue, if you modified your car in a certain way and it was damaged due to the mod, the car manufacturer is not going to pay for it. Only difference is that Ford put out a TSB to stating what they would do.
This guy says he did.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2628756-post11.html

which bums me out because although I haven't decided on which tune I want to run, I WAS leaning towards Lund's tune.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm glad you posted this for others to see.I've had a few people on different forums get a little upset because I dont talk about certan stuff on the internet regarding my car.

Heck I've heard of a guy who had his warranty voided because a dealer had footage of him racing his car at a local track.

This Magnason act comes up in every thread but the reality is you will be fighting a uphill battle against Ford Motor CO

Times have changed and these companies are using some pretty slick tactics to void warranties.
I remembered that GM denied warranty on a stock motor that failed at a HPDE. If I remember correctly it was a Z06. Nissan used to void your warranty if you used launch control.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
As I think most of us are aware, Ford monitors this site. Given the countless discussions about tunes and modidifications to cars, if you were Ford what would you do ? I know if I were in their position I would issue a bullitin. No company in their right mind would do otherwise after reading all the posts on sites such as this and seeing what people are doing to the new cars that they bought. Don't get me wrong. Ive done a few things to my car. The big car companies remember all to well what guys were doing to cars during the muscle car era of the 60's and 70's and the headaches it was causing them for warranty claims. :winks

41 - 54 of 54 Posts