Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not getting fuel

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  speedytang 
#1 ·
My 89 2.3L is trying to start but can't. It is not getting fuel. I have been told to first replace the fuel filter, then the fuel regulator switch and then if it still doesn't start replace the fuel pump. Where are all of these parts located? Where is the fuel pump? Where is the fuel pump regulator switch? Where is the fuel filter?

#3 ·
First tell us if it primes when you turn the key. It will make a little buzzing noise in the gas tank for about 2 seconds. If it doesn't, try pushing in the red button on the fuel safety shutoff switch. Its behind the driver's side brake light. Check it again and let us know what happens.

#4 ·
He has an 89,so it doesn't have a fuel switch in the trunk. I would first check to see if it is getting power at the pump with a test light when the key is on and spinning. If you have power and don't hear the pump running then your pump is bad,if not check all fuses and relays. Not a bad idea to change the filter too.

#5 ·
almost stock said:
He has an 89,so it doesn't have a fuel switch in the trunk. I would first check to see if it is getting power at the pump with a test light when the key is on and spinning. If you have power and don't hear the pump running then your pump is bad,if not check all fuses and relays. Not a bad idea to change the filter too.
I keep getting my 95' 5.0 mixed up with the foxes. I believe the pump will only run when the engine is running or for around 2 seconds when you turn the key to "on". The pump is powered by a relay under the driver's seat which gets activated by the pcm. The pcm turns on the relay by a sensor in the engine. I think it is the stator but I could be wrong. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. But anyways, the relay is fed power from the starter cylinoid, through a fusible link. The fusible links are known to deteriorate and burn up.

#7 ·
FYI: Any car sold for the US market that has a electric fuel pump has a impact switch. Yours is behind the tail light panel. You have a little plug you remove and your finger will find the switch. If the car does not prime check your fuses first then the impact switch in the rear panel. If these fail then use a 12volt test light on the relay under the drivers seat for voltage ignition off and voltage when ignition on will be a two points of contact on the relay. If this test then now your at the fuel pump replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.