Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To sum it up..

I've been having trouble with my 91. I've had an issue with the starter constantly engaging until it completely drains the battery. Well one day at work I turned over the vehicle and it started doing it again. In my state of panic I drove away trying to get as close to home as possible because no one was able to drive that far to assist me. Anywho, I'm pretty sure it caught on fire and destroyed the teeth on the starter and the teeth on the flywheel. I'm a young worker bee and I don't have the funds and time to rent a hoist and purchase the parts to make the repair myself. Which leads up to this question.

Should I try and sell the vehicle as a rolling chassis? To try and cut my losses

Or.

Should I make my best effort to rent the appropriate tools and parts to repair it?

My grandfathers right hand man is an experienced mechanic and told me even if I fixed that I still have 1k-2k in suspension work to replace. Which has also made this decision very difficult for me.

What should I do????

·
Registered
621 Posts
I guess you learned a hard lesson. sorry that happened. Dis-connecting the battery would have saved you. It sounds like you have a stuck solenoid, which is VERY easy to replace. Not knowing the condition of the car, It's hard to advise you. You don't need a hoist to do starter or transmission work on your car. 2 grand worth of suspension parts, should get you a full race set-up for your Mustang. I would turn to a local wrecking yard to source some parts. If you have an interest in cars, you might want to poke around in the forums and see what people are doing, it might help you come to a decision.

·
Registered
654 Posts
$15 starter solinoid on the diver side inner fender is the problem, as for the flywheel dont pull the motor pull the tranny, a chilton manual and a craftsman tool kit is all you need and yah even $500 is too much for front suspension work, do it yourself not only will you learn enough to star giving advice to us, you'll be proud to drive a car you can say you fixed

·
Registered
102 Posts
you'll be proud to drive a car you can say you fixed
Amen to that. Ultimately you'll need to decide if you want to put money and/or time into your car. Personally the 87-93 foxbody is my dream car and I am lucky enough to drive one everyday. Mine needs a lot of work, but it dosn't bother me because I love to turn wrenches and It'll keep my Fox on the road.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.