Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am from Toronto.

This is in regards to my automatic 2000 Mustang v6, 3.8L base model.

I bought the pre-owned car in 2007 with 1,21,000 kms already on it.

This January (2015), with temperatures in Toronto going in the negative and lots of snow, I had to go overseas for 9 months and I left the car parked in the garage with my cousin.

After few months, my cousin gave me a call telling me that lot of OIL has leaked from the car and the car wouldn't drive at all and the brakes are also jammed. I assumed that the engine oil might have leaked and the brakes are so tight because of car sitting in winter for so long.

I asked him to tow the car to a mechanic.

The mechanic said that along with brakes, the transmission oil has leaked.

He changed the brake pads, rotors (understandable) along with below:

Transmission kit
Gromet
Transmission Oil.

After doing all this the car's O/D Off light started to blink and the service engine light is also on. Car would run upto speed of 60-70 km/hr and after that become too heavy to drive.

I took the car back to mechanic. He said that since 2007 when I bought the car, I never bothered to change the transmission oil, now that he put the new transmission oil, the transmission is slipping and that he has seen it happening often.

He is advising me to either buy used transmission or re-built it.

But the O/D off light never blinked before the car was delivered to him.

The odometer now is 2,48,000

Can someone help if that's the case or some more inspection can be done before I put money into rebuilding or buying used transmission.

He has already charged me 1000$ for brake pads, rotors and other stuff.

- Can the transmission oil leak fully when the car is not running, if there is a small leak beneath the car from transmission? some loose screw ?

I am not very technical in these matters and I would appreciate the help.

Regards

(PS: the temp from Jan - april is very cold in toronto (upto -20 degrees), may be that can also be a factor?)

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
24,800 miles is very young to be developing such problems. If the car was driven while low on ATF, that could easily have burned up the clutches in the transmission. They tend not to wear out until close to 200,000 miles (give or take).

A blinking CEL indicates a misfire. I would be surprised if the spark plugs were worn at such low mileage, but having been in storage, I wonder if mice may have gotten in there and chewed at some wires...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

Thanks for the reply. Just a bit of correction. I drove the car for 1,27,000 kms (2,48,000 - 1,27,000) without changing the transmission oil. (You mentioned 24,800)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts