Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking at what kind of OBDII devices are out there (like the DashDAQ). It seems the ones that are 'tuners' are usually listed as illegal in California, but I'm wondering if just the regular monitors are okay. If I ever got pulled over would they just automatically assume the device was a tuner, ticket me, or confiscate my vehicle? I'm not sure how harsh the laws here are, seems like they really want to force everyone into a Prius through fear.

Are there other window/dash mount monitors that are recommended?

·
Registered
411 Posts
From a law enforcement view,having a scanner tool to diagnose a problem is not illegal,just do not keep it in plian view. I would call the local Highway patrol substation and ask then that question. Explain in detail so the answer will be what the situation calls for. Also ask them about other types of scanner just for reference.They will know the state staute and give you advise. California has some very different laws from the rest of the country. Good luck hope this was helpful.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Why would you want to hook up a perminent scan tool to your car????? Normally all you use them is for diagnostics. Any of them are good for a quick scan. but the better ones are more sofisticated and can display dealer specific codes as well as generic.

·
Registered
542 Posts
This is off topic but would someone explain to me why anyone would want to live in California anymore. They charge double for everything, have earthquakes, wildfires , restrict firearms, tell you what you can do to you cars, government is laying off people because schwartzeneger cant manage money. What is the benefit of living there?

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Monitoring your engine would not be illegal. Changing the engine parameters via a tuner is. It is stated right on the packaging.
I doubt that even possessing a tuner would be illegal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.