Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

First, forgive me if this is an ignorant question. My 2006 V6 Pony Package is the first manual transmission car that I've ever owned, so I'm still fairly inexperienced. Since I got the car in September, every now and then (maybe two or three times a week), I have trouble getting the car into reverse. I try to put the shifter there, and it feels like something is blocking it. I usually have to run the shifter through the pattern (first through fifth), and then I can get it to go into reverse. I don't notice any sort of patter (location, weather, inclination/declination, etc.) either. Is this normal, or might there be something wrong? It's starting to get annoying.

Also, I've noticed that the rear window defroster sometimes takes as long as half an hour to clear the back window (just frost/slight ice, no snow). Anyone else have that slow of response with the defroster?

Other than this, I LOVE my car. I've got a picture of it at the Legend Lime Registry site.

Thanks,

David Green

·
Registered
294 Posts
Welcome to AFM!

there is a lock out for reverse from fifth gear, you must first shift to another position to bypass the lockout. it is a safety feature so that you don't shift from fifth to reverse while driving down the highway. all manuals are like this and it should be addressed in the operators manual.
If that is not the issue then I would just give it time to break in a little.
Nice car to learn a standard shift on by the way.

never had to use the rear defroster :eyepoppin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Usually I leave it in first when I have it parked (with the parking brake on). Should I not be doing this? I've got 6800 miles on it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
another thing to think about, and especially on lower gears is that the driveline must physically align itself or "mesh" when put into a drive gear. when stopped, the gears aren't turning and if they just happen to be tooth on tooth then they will not mesh, or engauge. the lower gears have less teeth than the higher gears and reverse is not synchroed making this effect more pronounced.
It will happen that you must sometimes get something to move before it will shift into reverse. Putting the trans into any gear will move something and often that's just what it takes.

If you have a good feel for what the trans is doing, you could hold some pressure against reverse and VERY SLOWLY let the clutch out just enough to let the gear engauge. However this method is not for the timid.

It's kinda hard to explain something that has developed into a reflex after so many years but it is so worth learning to drive a stick, you become to feel the connection between you and the car. It ask's and you respond, you ask and it responds.

I suppose it's possible for the trans to be just out of alignment enough to catch the lockout going into reverse. If you can get it to repeat the problem in front of a Ford service manager they should fix it.
I've got just over 6500 miles on mine and it is just now loosening up a bit, a good thing because when it was new it was fairly tight shifting.

I leave mine in first with the brake on. not all of the cars I've owned has had a working parking brake. Sshhhhh.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
anyone having a problem with 3rd, or is it me. i hate 3rd. cant find it sometimes when im running fast.... annoying.... i havent driven a stick in 6 or 7 years so i am still getting re-acquainted. my friend who has an 02 GT who has driven nothing but a stick all of his life and is very good with it had the same complaint about the 3650. he advised a steeda tri-ax short throw with its spring loaded 3rd gear assist. never has had to find 3rd again he says.... just wondering if i am the only one... and i agree with brnrkm, good car to learn or get re-acquainted with. very forgiving.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
GTNOS said:
anyone having a problem with 3rd, or is it me. i hate 3rd. cant find it sometimes when im running fast.... annoying.... i havent driven a stick in 6 or 7 years so i am still getting re-acquainted. my friend who has an 02 GT who has driven nothing but a stick all of his life and is very good with it had the same complaint about the 3650. he advised a steeda tri-ax short throw with its spring loaded 3rd gear assist. never has had to find 3rd again he says.... just wondering if i am the only one... and i agree with brnrkm, good car to learn or get re-acquainted with. very forgiving.
You are not the only one, 3rd sucks, It's an easy gear to miss :eyebulge:
As for reverse, that is why I use it to park with.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I used to have the same prob with my '97 Cobra. I simply pushed the clutch in a second time (double clutch it) and it solved the problem upon start up.

·
Registered
502 Posts
GTNOS said:
So happy to hear you say that...I've gakked on 3rd TWICE over 8 runs at the dragstrip. Thought I was the world's biggest choke artist ever...

·
Registered
502 Posts
My defroster is not so quick either. It's a lot of glass to heat, but I think the filaments are pretty thin too.

Solution? A car cover!

Happy trails, bro!

·
Registered
11 Posts
fellas welcome to the world of the t-5 transmission they all do that

ive had a few mustangs that had a t5 in it and they all were fairly clunky

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Missed shifts

I missed third on my test drive. Salesman is a huge Mustang fan and has owned something like 40 of them. I'll tell him about this list when I go in next. He mentioned that missing third is a very common problem. Mentioned getting a short shifter to solve it :) The shifter is waiting for the car to arrive. Short shifters do very little for kitchen tables. That's where mine is installed now. Along with my sequential tail lights, billet heater/A/C knobs... JBA mufflers are on the carpet mocking me.

TORTURE I TELL YOU!

Car arrives in January. Perfect time of year to work on sports cars, this close to Canada.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My Opinion on 3rd and Reverse

I have only had my 06 GT Vert about 1 week, I have had a hard time with 3rd once, it is easy to miss if you are not paying attention, however, I would not trade my t-5 for an auto any day. As far as going into reverse, if the transmission will not go into reverse right away, I just go into 2nd or another gear that is synchronized, this has worked for me so far.

06 GT Convertible Premium
Redfire w/dark charcoal

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Haven't had any issues with reverse, but agree that third is an easy miss if you're running fast and not paying attention. Had the same problem on my 93 Cobra. Shorter throw may help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts