Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone actually used any octane booster on there cars... I know alot of them are just BS, and may only raise the rating .3 points or less.. But does Torco or any other brand really raise up the octane rating to match race gas 101 and up??? I drive my car to and from the track (30miles) and im not going to pay 6+ for a gallon of race fuel. IM sure not going to buy 16 gallons of it to fill the car... Id rather spend 20 on a bottle of octane booster.. I know snow works great too but i dont really want to run that on my car, or have it tuned for it..

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Nooooooo! Do not use octane booster. Quickest way to destroy your plugs. Buy good gas and occasionally use a bottle of Techron or Seafoam in the tank! :)

edit: Torco is the only one that's probably ok. Avoid stuff like that 104+.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Whaaat?! Don't buy octane booster??!! damn. I had 30kms of 87 fuel left when I put octane booster and filled up the tank with 91 for my race tune from bamachipsss!! I should've known it before =)

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Yeah, octane booster is a waste of money, just buy good quality gas and you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Whaaat?! Don't buy octane booster??!! damn. I had 30kms of 87 fuel left when I put octane booster and filled up the tank with 91 for my race tune from bamachipsss!! I should've known it before =)
I learned the hard way. Destroyed a perfectly good set of plugs. If you start running poorly, inspect and clean your plugs.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I learned the hard way. Destroyed a perfectly good set of plugs. If you start running poorly, inspect and clean your plugs.
+1. I lost two sets before I figured it out. I could not ever get either set to ever run well again. When I lost the second set I only used 1 bottle of that [email protected]

Find some race gas in your area. Some true 101 or 104 unleaded is gold..

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Toluene is a common octane booster. It's safe to use in your car, and won't damage the plugs. Racers have been using it for years. It's a pretty safe chemical. You can usually find it in most paint supply stores.

You can do a google search for the proper formulas. Generally speaking, a 10% solution will raise the octane 2 points. 10gals of 91 octane premium + 1 gallon of toluene = 11 gallons of 93 octane fuel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
if you go to the kenne bell web site it recommends only NOS brand red - off road booster, supposedly will not harm plugs and actually raises the octane a reasonable amount.

·
Registered
167 Posts
not only does it mess up your plugs it clogs up you catalytic convertors.... at least $400-500 a piece

·
Registered
726 Posts
Good, bad or use, don't use whatever. You are running boost and probably a lot at the track, i would't be relying on something like that, you need to know for sure. Run the race gas and be able to drive your car home, it will be alot cheaper.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Toluene is NOT a "safe" chemical: it's a very potent carcinogen whose fumes you do NOT want to breathe.
Yeah, there's always someone who doesn't do their homework.

According to the MSDS, "Severe and prolonged exposure to Toluene may cause drying and cracking of the skin".

It's clearly NOT a carcinogen any more than your cell phone is.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Dude- check the CDC site (that's Center for Disease Contol and not a spoiler site), NIOSH, the EPA, and pubMed articles and you'll find that toluene is a VERY potent carcinogen: that's why Californai REQUIRES a disclosure under Prop. 65 (the anti-cancer warning proposition) that it's presence in ANYTHING be disclosed.

Get your facts straight before you mislead someone here.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA. [email protected]
2,4,6-Trinitrotoluene (TNT) is an important occupational and environmental pollutant. In TNT-exposed humans, notable toxic manifestations have included aplastic anaemia, toxic hepatitis, cataracts, hepatomegaly and liver cancer. Therefore, it is important to develop protection measures and to monitor workers involved in the clean-up of ammunition sites. Haemoglobin (Hb) adducts of TNT, 4-amino-2,6-dinitrotoluene (4ADNT) and 2-amino-4,6-dinitrotoluene (2ADNT), and the urine metabolites of TNT, 4ADNT and 2ADNT were found in 22-50% of the exposed workers, but not in the control group. The exposed workers were wearing protective equipment. The levels of erythrocytes, haemoglobin, creatinine, serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase and lymphocyte levels were significantly lower in the exposed workers than in the non-exposed workers. The levels of blood urea and reticulocytes were significantly higher in the exposed workers than in the non-exposed workers. [...]
PMID: 17852074 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

·
Registered
121 Posts
Toluene is some freaky stuff.. I usually use it to clean/strip humiseal off circuit boards when testing them at work.. that stuff will eat through anything :hihi:

I used octane booster and injector cleaner on my '89 5.0 Crown Vic back when I was 18. I had gotten a job at Wal-Mart (fired after a week from doing burnouts and being on break all the time..) and this cart boy told me to get the stuff and we just poured it all into the gas tank because we thought the car would be 'uber-fast' afterwards.... and then I blew my radiator when racing a Saturn. That was when I was irresponsible... learned that you can hurt a car in many ways... like when I drove my IROC-Z into a dump truck... I've also heard of octane booster clogging up the injectors.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I used to work in a college chem lab and they wouldn't let us even touch that stuff unless it was first under a hood with the front nearly closed and we were nitrile gloved up and had protective aprons and glasses on.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.