Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the Stang on it's first interstate weekend getaway this weekend. Ran about 2hours up to Canton GA, north of Atlanta. Overall, The car ran great, cruising at 80-90 in the HOV through town. Scarily enough, i was mostly running with traffic.
I had a strange thing happen twice, however. The first time I was headed up Sat, had been cruising 75-80, and downshifted to 4th to get around a slower car in traffic. After the clutch was fully engaged and I was accelating smoothly, it was like the throttle snapped closed for a split second. Even my wife noticed. I thought maybe the AC kicked on or something, but it was a significant punch, nothing the AC should have done.
Coming home yesterday, I had been running 80 coming through downtown and suddenly had to come to a near stop for a wreck. I got down in 2nd and accelated away from the initial slowdown, and it did the same thing again. Clutch was fully engaged, foot away from the pedal, and accelarting briskly, around 3500 rpm. It was a hard, splitsecond, loss of power. It happened so fast I didn't catch if the tach dropped. It was more significant than a cylinder misfire.

I haven't been able to recreate it, and it hasn't happend before.

Anybody else seen this? I got the distinct impression It might be tied to the ETC?

·
Registered
599 Posts
No. What you are describing sounds just like hitting the rev limiter, I Know from your post that is not what happened, it just sounds the same.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, I've bounced off the rev limiter once, and it was kind of like that, but just for an instant

·
Registered
538 Posts
Ive had both things happen to me and there both different. Ive hit the rev. lmiter once when I wasnt paying enough attention to RPM's during my first little encounter with chopped rice. Still smoked him even though I hit the rev limit. I did notice the engine RPMs decellereate. I think this is probably a normal safety feature.

Ive also had the motor act the way you described when downshifting into 4th at a high RPM. Once again tyring to show off my muscles on the highway.:winks
I thought I hit the rev. limiter in 4th when I downshifted but now I dont know now. Ive got around 4 k on the car and it hasnt happened again, yet. Thus could be interesting??

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hazmat-I'm in the mid 4ks on mine as well. The time I found the rev limiter, I dropped into first to go by a truck that had pulled over and stopped in front of me. I was a little pissed and let the tires do the talking. It hit just I was starting to shift to 2nd. I hit second and the power came back on like a swift kick in the arse. Fairly exciting, but I sure don't want to do it again!

·
Registered
538 Posts
ultraclyde said:
hazmat-I'm in the mid 4ks on mine as well. The time I found the rev limiter, I dropped into first to go by a truck that had pulled over and stopped in front of me. I was a little pissed and let the tires do the talking. It hit just I was starting to shift to 2nd. I hit second and the power came back on like a swift kick in the arse. Fairly exciting, but I sure don't want to do it again!
So do you think this is a normal reaction of the motor. Or should we just be carful not to go to crazy on the RPM's.:eyepoppin

·
Registered
110 Posts
same thing as orig. poster decribed here, at about 2000 mi, on mine it was not the rev limiter for sure. almost felt like a carb was loaded up and it needed to be blown out!

a while back there were other threads on this and computer snafu was the guess, aftermarket tuners are reported to help with over all drivability and the throt by wire delay on and off throttle

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not the rev limiter

I had the same thing happen too. Had been driving for a few hours, plus it was hot. Above 90 degrees. Downshifted and bam. Felt like the entire engine just stopped then started again. Almost like stalling then popping the clutch to get going again. I have over 6,000 miles right now and have not had the "stall" happen for a while. And did a 4 hour trip to go home this past weekend. No problems. Maybe just a bug in the system. I hope so anyway.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I was cruisin on the highway,went to pass someone and it hesitated 3 times in a row. Also the car hesitates froma stand sill when I give it a little gas.:sosad:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've had the same thing happen to me, or at least I think I have. I noticed, after driving my 05 for a few days after I bought it, it was doing the same thing. I noticed it more when I wasn't stopping on the gas. Right around 3200-3500 rpms, it seems like there is a small tug on the engine, that equates to a loss of power (it feels like the air conditioning cut on). Since I never run the air conditioning in my car, I knew that wasn't it, but it puzzled me. After I put about 1500 miles on the car, I installed the C&L cold air induction kit, with the performance tune that was developed by Alternative Auto Performance, set for 93 octane. I thought that with the new computer reprograme, it would smooth out this little glitche, but it didn't. When I stomp the gas pedal and rip throught the gears, I can't really feel it, but when I am slowly going throught the gears, say in normal driving, I can feel the difference. It's not a huge loss of power, and it only happens for second, but it has concerned me.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad to know I'm not the only one. I guess... Driving home last night on the interstate, I tried to recreate the problem with no luck. She pulled like a champ. tried different gears, downshifting out of cruise, etc,etc, and it was fine. (did you know you can catch 3rd at 80??!!) Interesting to note that last night it was cool, while this weekend it was up in the 90's. somebody else mentioned hot temps when it happened, I wonder if it's heat related.

I'v also noticed a barely-there blip on slow accelartion, but mines at 2250-2500. It seems to be smoothing out with time, and it's weak enough I can't swear it's not my imagination...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I read this post a couple days ago with interest, wondering what all the fuss was about.
Today....
My drive home from work is non-stop (literally) 60-80 mph for 40 minutes, then I approach a cloverleaf exit. Traffic is slow so a slow down, down- shift to 2nd a hit it to merge. BAM, it fell flat on its face. Like it had stalled for a second and caught itself.
It's kind of like these cars have two brains; the interstate one and the traffic one, and they don't like switching between the two.
I sure would think (hope) Ford knows something about this. Because there is no way the dealer is gonna recreate this thing.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, otto, hell, i can't even recreate it!!! But I guess, that's kind of a good thing. Not too common...

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have not had this happen to me yet. I have 10K on the car, got it in Feb 05. Certainly sounds like a glitch to me. You're right when you say the dealer won't be able to re-create it. You need to be able to reproduce it in order to have it fixed. These kinds of things are tough to find. But the performance tune did not fix it, which I thought it would. I will keep an eye out for this, as I drive my car 7 days a week.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Be Careful!

hey guys,
same thing happened to me on a roadtrip from D.C. to Mobile and back. I was a little worried and thought maybe i hit the rev limiter until the whole rear end shreded while on the hwy two days after i got back! smoke billowed from the rearend and it wouldnt shift. towed it to the dealership(century ford in MT. Airy,MD) and they hed to put a whole new rearend in it. Be carefull and have it checked. The mechanic said he was going to try to rebuild it until he opened it up. It took over a week to get the new rear from detroit and install it.
it happened right at about 5300 miles. guy said the pinion had not been installed correctly at the factory. also, make sure they put the brakes on correctly afterwards. mine were popping and had to bring it back in for a day.
On the good side, the dealer has been great to me and i didnt even buy it there. nice guys.also everything is covered under the warrenty. havnt had the problem since.
hope this helps

05 min gray GT, stock

·
Registered
176 Posts
Found what may be the answer to my problem.Was told by the dealer that the TPS may not be "meshing" with the computer.The fix would be getting a new TPS and a reflash.??Can someone put this in English please.I'm not really that savvy with engine talk.

G

·
Lets see if this helps:
Dom Portwood: Hello, Peter. What's happening? We need to talk about your TPS reports.
Peter Gibbons: Yeah. The coversheet. I know, I know. Uh, Bill talked to me about it.
Dom Portwood: Yeah. Uh, did you get that memo?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah. I got the memo. And I understand the policy. The problem is, I just forgot this one time. And I've already taken care of it so it's not even a problem anymore.
Dom Portwood: Yeah. It's just that we're putting new coversheets on all the TPS reports *before* they go out now. So if you could just remember to do that from now on, that'd be great. All right!
Ok... that should cover the tps... =)

·
Registered
176 Posts
me don't understand:?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
137 Posts
What??? You have never seen "Office Space"????????

Mmmmmmmmm... yeah.....

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That'd be greeeaaaatttt.....Thaaaaaannnnnks.

Damn TPS!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts