Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an ‘03 GT. Occasionally there is a very low knock that seems to come from the passenger side rear. I notice it more when cruising in 4th gear and letting completely off the gas gently. I’ve also noticed it in other gears. It’s intermittent and unrepeatable. Turn the radio on and I can’t even hear it.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Well it could be a few items.
1. It could be the back lash on the ring not set properly.
2. it could be a loose shock
3. It could be a loose upper or lower control arm.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could you explain #1 please? (pardon my ignorance)

Would #2 and #3 not be repeatable? like if I bounce the car up and down?

fred-fred said:
Well it could be a few items.
1. It could be the back lash on the ring not set properly.
2. it could be a loose shock
3. It could be a loose upper or lower control arm.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
toolfan001 said:
could you explain #1 please? (pardon my ignorance)

Would #2 and #3 not be repeatable? like if I bounce the car up and down?
Unless you've had your gears changed, you can ignore #1.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
It might possibly be a torn or broken bushing somewhere back there. We had that problem on the front end of the wife's Cobra a few years ago.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree with bluestreak. I am going through that same problem with my 2000 GT and come to find out its the bushing on the control arm. Your best bet would be to invest in a new set of upper and lower control arms with new bushings.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
The last time I checked ( about 10 months ago ) there were no urethane bushing kits out for the '03 GT's. I think they changed something very minor on the '03 cars. I got a set OE bushings and compared them to 02 urethanes and most of them were the same, but a couple were somewhat different. Hopefully someone is making them now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Knocking

Could be a broken Sway Bar ,mine knocked in the rear ,drove me crazy ,took everything out of the trunk still did it ,so got on a creeper looked up inside,and you really couldn't see it but it snapped right at the bolts.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Maybe it's that Honda Civic you blew away last week. You thought you went by so fast he just disappeared in your rearview, but actually the force of your passing actually sucked him under your car and he's wedged up around your exhaust.

Go look. :winks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.