Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have a new one. Or at least, I think it's a new one. Haven't seen anyone post on this before, but if someone has, I apologize in advance.

My car: '05 GT, 5 speed manual. Recently, I've noticed a noise when engaging the clutch from one gear to the next. It doesn't happen when I'm driving sedately... only during spirited driving, when engaging the clutch quickly and giving it gas at the same time. Noises are always hard to describe in words, so please bear with me. It sounds something like a zipper, or a "card in the spokes". It only lasts a fraction of a second, perhaps 1/4 to 1/2 second while the clutch is engaging. Again, it only happens when I'm giving it a lot of gas and letting the clutch out quickly (as one would do when accelerating briskly). Normal and smooth gas/clutch combinations don't produce the noise.

I thought I heard something a while back, but with the windows up and A/C on, it merely sounded like a momentary engine "ping". The few times I heard it then, I thought I might have gotten a bad tank of gas. However, today, I took advantage of a beautiful fall day and took a ride in the country. It was the first time I drove it with the windows down, and was enjoying the sound of the exhaust, from the wonderful sounds during acceleration, to the burbles it emits when slowing down. Since the windows were down and there was no A/C to mask noises, I noticed the noise I described above. It really isn't a bad noise, like metal on metal. It simply strikes me as an odd noise. It may well be "normal", due to any number of things. Perhaps it's the CMC valves cycling. Maybe it's the variable valve timing system working. I don't know. All I can say is, it's an unexpected noise which concerns me. Surely someone else has experienced this too? I don't mind it if it's normal. I just want to know if something's wrong. Thanks to all in advance.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
I think I heard this also, but oposite the way you are describing. I heard it a couple times when I was going slow shifting from 1st to 2nd in a parking lot.

·
Registered
403 Posts
doubt its similar, but...

my old f150 needs a throwout bearing, started leaking a bit this summer- if it gets a little low on fluid and gets a wee bit of air in it, it makes a kinda 'zipper' sound at release too. I'm almost sure these things are self bleeding by design, so doubt if its got air in it, but maybe its just sound of the oil getting forced rather quickly back into the little master cylinder? Ever try quickly releasing clutch with engine off just to see if this might be a normal sound, if quickly releasing clutch?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think Im getting the same thing you are. Mine sounds kinda like a clunk or a thug when the clutch engages while Im driving pretty spirited. I took it to the dealer a while ago about a noisy transmision and to fix the gas tank problem and they replaced some syncros which quited the transmision but the clunk is still there.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Someone I work with just had his '05 transmission replaced because of syncros. They replaced them the 1st time and this time they replaced the transmission. His car only has 8k miles on it. He is not the best at shifting since this is his first manual since 1970's but riding with him he is not all that bad. The clunk I have heard riding and driving his car and I think it is the first drive shaft hitting the middle bearing carrier because I heard this when driving my dually I once owned and that is what it was on it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The weather was beautiful today, so I was driving with the windows down once again, which enables me to hear the noise better. While I still don't know what's going on, I did discover one thing. While it does happen on spirited upshifts at the point of clutch engagement, it's not the clutch itself. Today I heard it do it in traffic when I was part throttle in 2nd, then jabbed the throttle. The clutch was hooked up, so I can say with confidence it's not that... it's more a function of jabbing the throttle suddenly. I then tried it in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Does it in every gear, more so at lower speeds for that gear (higher load). So, I suppose it could be a momentary engine ping, but like I said before, it really doesn't sound like that. Who knows, with aluminum block and all, maybe some things sound different than I'm used to. I'm going to fill up on premium gas next tank (not that I should have to), and if it still makes the noise then, it's likely not an engine ping. I'm still wondering if it's somthing like the variable valve timing having to change suddenly, and therefore it's a normal noise?

Thanks everyone for your input.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Our stangs have a 2 piece driveshaft and the thunk you hear is the "slop" from the input shaft to the tranny. It collapses and telescopes depending on the torque at that moment, and the angles of the shafts. If you travel at say 50 mph on a level road in 5th gear, let off the throttle, then step on the throttle, you'll hear it. The 2 piece driveshaft is supposed to be more durable, but it sure is noisy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is that what the noise is? I have it too. I notice it the most 1st to 2nd when driving slow. Makes sense that it is the two piece driveshaft. It isn't very loud but you can hear it with the radio turned off. I like listening to the exhaust sometimes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have/had the same issue. I took it into the dealer and they repositioned the driveline and retuned the exhaust. 90% better.

·
Registered
361 Posts
So sorry to start this thread again....but I think I have the same problem. However, my Dad thinks it may be the rear-end?? Any thoughts on this? Mine's like a clunking noise and it it happens when the clutch is engaging - usually when I'm driving 'normal'. Has anyone reported this problem to the dealer and it's been the rear-end gears??

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Have someone crawl under the car, and manually twist the driveshaft back and forth.
Most likely you'll find the source of the noise -> play in the drivetrain.
Mustangs have had this for decades.
No cause for worry.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well, this may all be rubbish as i don't own a mustang, but.....
What you guys are describing sounds like shunting, when i'm in the states, if i'm ever in a manual, the person driving has variable skills in shifting, i'm not getting at anyone, but nearly everyone i've ridden with is rough on re-engaging the gears, any lack of precission here will be maginified during "spirited" driving and over deliberate driving (fast driving and slow speed stuff)
The noise is basically the play in the drive train taking up, you go stamping on throttles with a a locked diff (what all auto's use normally in top gear, as far as this subject is concerned, all manuals are "locked diff") then you dont have the constantly variable trans taking up all the play and smoothing it all out for you. The more this is done, the more play will wear into it all and eventually something is gonna wear right out or just be a pig to drive, you should never stamp on the throttle from no throttle at all in a manual, its not the way to drive a manual.

Basically, its highly unlikely to be something worth worrying about, i'd just practise being a smooth shifter ;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
D*mn Yanks and their barbaric driving practices.....

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
fordgrl99 said:
So sorry to start this thread again....but I think I have the same problem. However, my Dad thinks it may be the rear-end?? Any thoughts on this? Mine's like a clunking noise and it it happens when the clutch is engaging - usually when I'm driving 'normal'. Has anyone reported this problem to the dealer and it's been the rear-end gears??
most noticable from 1st to 2nd? yep, have had the same noise on both the 05 roush when i had it and now in the 06 GT. i have talked to every friend i have with mustangs (which is a lot) when i told them almost all replied "second gear clunk" and explained to me that while the Tremec 3650 is a tough transmission, it is certainly not eligant and is in fact the noisiest transmission ever put in a mustang. but also one of the best. and that clunk is normal. sure is irritating though...:sosad:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts