Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have heard this noise for the past few days now and not today i figured out how to recreate, now if i am going into reverse and i move back just like 2 feet and then put it in first and move car forward i hear like a clank or clunk noise and you can feel it "hit" or make the noise i dont know what it could be i have to get under it and have some one roll forward and back, but i dont know it comes from the rear like around back tires.
all you do is go back a few in reverse and then forward in first and it will make it just like a matter of 1-2 feet.

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
It must be your NEW chin rubbing the ground , you have to follow the directions silly , go back and put screws in it , masking tape will not hold it up by itself !:hihi:

just joking !

I will try it tomorrow , and see what happens !

·
Registered
491 Posts
U-joints maybe...

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
My advice: Don't go in reverse for 2 feet and then go forward. What even possesed you to go through that sequence to discover the noise anyways?

My Mustang makes lots of noises. Mustangs are noisey cars. I ignore them and accept them as part of the cars character.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I say also U-joints, but that would cause vibrations.

It could also be excesive play in the rear axle (ring gear out of adjustment due to side play, or axle shaft splines worn/crushed)

Put the car in neutral and see how much you can turn the drive shaft by hand. Does that sound like the noise you'v heared? You should not be able to turn it by much - just a couple of degrees.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
monkey boy, i figured it out and i can recreate the sound by going revrse 2 feent then forward but befor ei was hearing it when i back out of driveway or a parking spot and when forward.

i also thought u-joints... but not sure

also i had gears swap for 373s, all new bearings adn everything in the axle.. so i dont know.i am going to lift the car up later today and see what i can hear from underneither by spinning driveshaft and or tires and see if it will do the noise.

p.s. the lludness and feeling of sound is also influenced on how quickly you pull out of 1st.

·
Registered
701 Posts
You might also want to have a look at the brake pads. That might sound stupid, but if they get stuck and you pull away, they hit the bracket doing a similar clanking sound.
Make sure, especially with aftermarket pads, that they have the positioning clips installed and the clips being in good condition.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lifted car off back wheels and spun the driftshaft and i spun the wheels and nothing. i think maybe it might besomething with the loading when car starts to go with suspension...? any ideas. i am going to secure car and use motor to spin everything.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Check the Exhaust system also, might have come loose

·
Registered
701 Posts
Could be a good way to find out. Just pay attention - I don't want to hear anything about a "car guy" getting jammed underneath a car...

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey i lived car up on back, and used engine to move tires and it didnt do the thud noise.... not sure.

i lowered it and i let it roll back being in 1st and itrolled back with the angle of driveway and i went forward and it didnt do it.. its something to do with the transition from reverse to first.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Sounds like the 1st gear synchro is getting worn to me. Do you feel anything through the shifter when you hear the noise?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey, yea i have always heard noise though..... i have after markey shifter and it always makes all sorts of noises in every gear. when i first put it in i was like woah but after i heard a few other peoples then i was ok.

i think it is the gears actually. i was driving with g/f to go to dinner, an di put it in first and when i engaged the clutch it kinda bounced and i felt a clunk/thud from the rear end. and then i started to make the car bounce in first kinda like someone learning how to drive manual, and i made it do it again and again.. so i think i am going to take it to my mechanic(works for ford) who did the install.
let me know what ya think

·
Registered
701 Posts
carguy1985 said:
it kinda bounced and i felt a clunk/thud from the rear end. and then i started to make the car bounce in first kinda like someone learning how to drive manual, and i made it do it again and again.. so i think i am going to take it to my mechanic(works for ford) who did the install.
Still think it's got something to do with the splines on the axle shafts, or gear install (end play).
Just thought about something different:
If one of the springs in the clutch disk (not the pressure plate) is broken, you could be able to hear the same kind of sound transferred in the drive shaft/rear end.

Let us know, it woud be nice to know what it was.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.