Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today on my way home from work my car waw making a funny noise it sounded as if it was struggling but i still seemed to have the same amount of power. The sound was only really noticible when I was accelerating also when sitting in park the rpms moved up and down a bit and the car was shaking alot. When i got home i opened the hood to listen but it sounded more like it was coming from under my car. Im no expert but i was wondering if anyone has experienced something like this?

BTW I drive a 86 LX 3.8L

Thanks

-Guardian

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Blind_Guardian said:
Today on my way home from work my car waw making a funny noise it sounded as if it was struggling but i still seemed to have the same amount of power. The sound was only really noticible when I was accelerating also when sitting in park the rpms moved up and down a bit and the car was shaking alot. When i got home i opened the hood to listen but it sounded more like it was coming from under my car. Im no expert but i was wondering if anyone has experienced something like this?

BTW I drive a 86 LX 3.8L

Thanks

-Guardian

With a car that old, it could be anything. Ist look for spark/ignition problems, could be a cracked/dirty distributor cap, then look for fuel problems (filter, clogged injectors, gummed choke, etc, then check your vacuum lines.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well today i starte my car and after it warmed up it sounded a little better but i still sounded a bit like a helicopter when i drove but after it warmed up it stopped.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
sounds liek something loose, check any heat guards around the bottom, possibly over the cats.

Other than that if it's a loud clicking noise... Could be a misfire/plugs

Maybe even (god hope not) Crank shaft bearings.

Does it sound fine at low rpms but as you rev up it starts to go clank clank clank clank? and the sound goes faster with more RPMS?

Could be a rod too in that case.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it does get louder with higher rpms but its hard to explain the sound. It is the sound of my engine but it is louder than my engine. ok this will sound dumb but my engine is like vroooooooooom and over that i hear a loiud vroom vroom vroom as i accelerate. Also the rpms jumping up in down wasnt casued by this it was because i was signaling.... Stupid sterop and its poweer taking lol.

Well that was the dumbest way to explain a noise but i think it will help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.