Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got gas the other day and reset the trip-o-meter to see what my MPG's are. They set to zero but then seemed to stay at zero, further the odo also stopped logging miles. It is a 96 V6. Is there a mini gear that needs to be massaged in the instrument cluster? This is not an electronic odometer. I was wondering if I could mess with it to get it working again, or just get one from a junk yard? Any help you could lend would be appreciated. Everything else on the instrument cluster seems to be functioning properly.

Thanks,
Dom

·
Registered
2 Posts
You need a new odometer gear kit. Late Model Restoration has them for about $40 and has installation guides on their website. Its not that hard to do. The worst part is pulling off the headlight switch knob. You can get a junkyard one, but you run the risk of it breaking too. This is very common on the 94-98's. I had to fix my 96 and my 98.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need a new odometer gear kit. Late Model Restoration has them for about $40 and has installation guides on their website. Its not that hard to do. The worst part is pulling off the headlight switch knob. You can get a junkyard one, but you run the risk of it breaking too. This is very common on the 94-98's. I had to fix my 96 and my 98.

Thank dude. I appreciate your feedback. I ordered the spur gear and the bevel gear from OdometerGears.com They were $25/ each plus $5.20 shipping. They also have step by step instructions too. I have already replaced bulbs in there, so this is just a few more steps.
Thanks again!
Dom

·
Registered
2 Posts
No problem! Been there, done that! Just be careful when twisting motor out not to snap the plastic tabs. I used a pair of channelocks and slightly pressed down while turning. I placed the cluster on a folded up towel to protect the pointers. Needlenose pliers will get the big gear out. Make sure you clear the holes where the big gear clicks in. Press it in and you're good to go. I also used the channelocks to press the worm gear on. Have fun!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts