Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2010 Grabber Blue GT and I wanted the Factory HID headlights. If I found a set of Takeoff HID's from another 2010-11 How much work would be involved to make them work with my car?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Surely somebody out there has been curious about this besides me? I know I cant be the only one who wants to switch them out! Anybody have any idea how much work is involved? Anybody?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Anyone out there?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol Im guessing we're the only ones who have considered this...

·
Registered
298 Posts
U swapping out the headlamps with it or just the bulbs. Either way I would assume that the wiring is the same. If you get the headlamps and the lights wont wire the same then buy some aftermarket HID bulbs and it will be the same basically.

ddmtuning.com has them cheap. make sure if you go this route to get the apexicone kit with hi/lo bulbs

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was talking about the factory HID's You cant find them for less than $800, at least I couldnt anyway... I read somewhere else that you had to replace the entire harness and that the dealership would charge $5000 to do the swap. I found that hard to believe so thats why I came here to look for help. I dont really want to change the bulbs to HID tho, I thought about buying the Raxiom Projector headlights but I really dont know if I want to go aftermarket. I love the clean look of OEM parts...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I'd suspect the harnesses are different. The HID-equipped cars have a relay mounted on the passenger-side strut tower, and the wires merge with the major harnesses in the engine compartment on their way to the lamps themselves.

The photo is the lid-off version. Item is affixed to the passenger-side strut tower, bolted-on through two holes that are bare in some models.
The car has HID headlamps. I have the wiring diagrams and shop manuals, but hadn't made an effort to discover what this thing does. (Possibly the "Fog Lamps" relays? NOPE). This is called "Auxiliary Relay Box 1", and it controls the HID headlamps. Mystery solved.
Numbers on the two plugged-in items are:
F57B-14B192-AA
A small relay, ubiquitous among Ford models.
Inside the lid:
E-434E / E -1826C EPC

You got to figure that a factory-installed option that costs $600 or so is going to be very expensive, part-by-part. I'm afraid the alternative is aftermarket lighting, with all the attendant cautions.

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would these part numbers still be relevant to the 2010 model? I know the company Osram does the lighting on the new body fords so I think I may have to buy the Osram Ballast for the wiring harness...

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking but I'll relay my experience to you...
I tried to put the OEM HIDs from my '08 GT into my '06 GT (which obviously did not come with HIDs). Firstly, the plugs don't match up. However, you can cut that to make it fit (which we did). But once they were all installed and wired, they kept flashing off and on. I speculate that it was a headlight wiring issue - that the '06 was not wired the same as the '08.
I abandoned the idea and sold the HIDs (to someone who probably didn't realize what I did, but, hey, what a person intends to do with something they buy is not my problem).

Good luck! I hope you can accomplish your goal.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm just glad my car came with the HID's...but it may be easier to just trade for a car with factory HID's????

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought my 2010 GT used about a month ago and It had most of the options I wanted so I wasnt going to be too picky about it because I got a GREAT deal on it, so I dont think I'll be trading it in any time soon. But I think I have pretty much decided to keep the standard headlights on it, I dont want to spend about 1000 in parts to not know if it will even work. Thanks for the help tho!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes...it's a shame it's not an easy swap...like a harness from a wrecked-em yard then buy new lights?

But I'm thinking if nobody here has done it, it's probably very difficult...or too expensive?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I bought my 2010 GT used about a month ago and It had most of the options I wanted so I wasnt going to be too picky about it because I got a GREAT deal on it, so I dont think I'll be trading it in any time soon. But I think I have pretty much decided to keep the standard headlights on it, I dont want to spend about 1000 in parts to not know if it will even work. Thanks for the help tho!
I'd wait a little for the Ford hid kits to come out for the +2010.

They do have one for the 2005-2009 cars and it comes with the necessary harness for a plug and play install.
If you get a set off of an existing car there is a bit of cutting and splicing to do and as already posted it may not even work then.

Here is a link to one of the vendors selling the HID kit in case anyone's interested.
Ford OEM HID Upgrade Kit for Ford Mustang

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.