Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what is the proper break in time for these 5.0s? The owners manual doesn't say, and my sales guy also didn't know when I asked him if it's 1000 miles.

I have to admit I've gotten on it a few times already, not from a standstill, but while I already have my speed up.

This car is so tempting. I'm worried I'll mess the break in up on my car.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
The reason it isn't mentioned in the manual is because there isn't one. It wasn't mentioned in my 2010 Super Duty's manual either! All the old school people will argue, but you may have noticed there aren't 8 track tape players included anymore!

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
According the manual no break-in period is required but then right underneath that they tell you not do any trailer towing or high-performance driving for the first 1,000.

You're also supposed to avoiding maintaining a set speed for X many miles to but I forgot how long that was off the top of my head. :D

So use your common sense. And keep an eye on the oil just to play it safe.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
You will get a ton of different answers on the way to break in your new car. Many people say it is ready right of the box with little or no break in needed. I think some of that is true compared to the older style engines where things took longer. I just didn't keep my 5.0 at any constant speed and stayed under 4500 rpm for the first 500 miles. Keep an eye on oil consumption as sometime it will use oil during break in. I am at 1200 miles and used about a half quart.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yea it'll use oil 'till the rings seat. If it was already broken in you wouldnt loose oil till the rings seated. There is a period of time you need to take it easy. I sell engines at Jasper Engines and Transmissions. I get the question a few times a week.

When asked about Break in. It differs big time for a hydraulic flat tappet cam vs. a roller cam.

For our roller cam engines. Easy driving for 1500 miles. DO NOT let the engine LUG and also watch & dont drive at the same PRM's for an extended period of time. Change the oil at 500 miles - Then at 1500. You should be Golden.

Something that is REALLY important -Is always forgotten about. The automatic transmission. If you have an automatic remember It's cold when you engine is warm. Let it warm up by going easy for a few minutes.

There's not much that hurts an auto trans more than getting in a car (10 miles or 50 thousand miles) - Letting the engine warm up - and then hot rodding out the drive or down the parking lot. Think about the trans and let it warm up if you can by easy accelerating.

Happy motoring. John.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
Yea it'll use oil 'till the rings seat. If it was already broken in you wouldnt loose oil till the rings seated. There is a period of time you need to take it easy. I sell engines at Jasper Engines and Transmissions. I get the question a few times a week.

When asked about Break in. It differs big time for a hydraulic flat tappet cam vs. a roller cam.

For our roller cam engines. Easy driving for 1500 miles. DO NOT let the engine LUG and also watch & dont drive at the same PRM's for an extended period of time. Change the oil at 500 miles - Then at 1500. You should be Golden.

Something that is REALLY important -Is always forgotten about. The automatic transmission. If you have an automatic remember It's cold when you engine is warm. Let it warm up by going easy for a few minutes.

There's not much that hurts an auto trans more than getting in a car (10 miles or 50 thousand miles) - Letting the engine warm up - and then hot rodding out the drive or down the parking lot. Think about the trans and let it warm up if you can by easy accelerating.

Happy motoring. John.
All due repsect sir, but I don't believe you can compare a remanufactured engine break in to a brand new engine break in. I know Jasper builds new engines too, but even that is difficult to compare to an assembly line engine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Oil change at 500 miles? C'mon, that is overkill! Not to mention a waste of oil and environmental impact.

Just take it easy on the GT for the first 1500 miles. Mine uses barely a 1/6 quart for the first 1k miles. I never took it to the redline during 1k nor at 1500 now.

Happy motoring. John.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I was wondering what is the proper break in time for these 5.0s? The owners manual doesn't say, and my sales guy also didn't know when I asked him if it's 1000 miles.

I have to admit I've gotten on it a few times already, not from a standstill, but while I already have my speed up.

This car is so tempting. I'm worried I'll mess the break in up on my car.
Owner's Manual Page 5.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Dig around enough and you'll find the general consensus on a modern engine built with modern machining is that seating the rings is the most important thing and should be completed in the first 20 miles of driving the car. I like this site's advice: Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Let the engine warm up completely and "drive it like you stole it" pretty much will properly seat the rings, taking it easy is not necessarily the best thing to do...there are no "tight" parts to worry about unless there's a amnaufacturer's defect in the machining process.

Mine saw the redline multiple times in it's first 30 miles and didn't get it's first oil change until 9600 miles ... oil never moved on the dipstick.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Mine saw the redline multiple times in it's first 30 miles and didn't get it's first oil change until 9600 miles ... oil never moved on the dipstick.
Bingo. I changed my oil at 5k, but that's cause the car told me to. I drove it like a Mustang after the first 5 miles off the lot and I had gotten used to it a little more. The first 500 miles on my car were some of the hardest I'd driven it. I have absolutely no issues with anything in the engine bay, no ticks, no strange sounds, nothing. I've read a lot of material stating to break in modern engines hard, and I'm sticking to it.

The same people that know more about oil and the motor than the Ford engineers are the ones that will tell you to break in easy, cause they've been doing that for 40 years.

Have faith in modern manufacturing, modern oils, modern filters and break it in correctly.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I would say that driving it like your stole it every time you get in the car is not advised for the first 1k miles or so. But don;t think that the car hasn't been redlined through the gears before it reaches your dealer. Ford QCs their cars on a roller dyno before it leaves the factory (according to a video I saw on the mustang factory on YouTube). And don't think that the guys driving the cars in the transportation process are easy on the car either. So if you want to got through a couple of gears on occassion in the first 1k miles, I personally don't see an issue.

I also don't see the point in a 500 mile oil change on a factory fresh motor. If the engineers thought this was that much of an issue, they would have put something in the manual about it. The earliest I would do an oil change on a GT would be 5k miles. But again, if you want to really know the best time to get an oil change, get an oil analysis done.

It does seem fairly universal that cars with <1000 miles shouldn't be lugging along in gear and should not be at one speed for a prolonged period. I can't say I've heard of a car where these two weren't recommended in the beginning.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wow - I didint realize who I was dealing with. - I forgot your momma and daddy bought it. I guarantee the engine you treat like that will never see 200K plus miles with only oil changes. It'll probably never see 100K and when it starts smokin' you'll blame it on someone else like you've always done.

I forgot it's never your fault when it starts smokin' you'll turn it into a pitty party and cry to momma. - you probably got your pants hangin low right now dont ya. You know you do.

I mean seriously - Do have a proof that this "drive it like you stole it-redline man, dude comon' redline ya already got got 26 miles on it man, it's broke in - break it loose dude" theroy works? No ya dont--'cause it's crap. You are talking about things you know nothing about.

You need to hush.

:gringreen silly boys..

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
Wow - I didint realize who I was dealing with. - I forgot your momma and daddy bought it. I guarantee the engine you treat like that will never see 200K plus miles with only oil changes. It'll probably never see 100K and when it starts smokin' you'll blame it on someone else like you've always done.

I forgot it's never your fault when it starts smokin' you'll turn it into a pitty party and cry to momma. - you probably got your pants hangin low right now dont ya. You know you do.

I mean seriously - Do have a proof that this "drive it like you stole it-redline man, dude comon' redline ya already got got 26 miles on it man, it's broke in - break it loose dude" theroy works? No ya dont--'cause it's crap. You are talking about things you know nothing about.

You need to hush.

:gringreen silly boys..
DDDAAAUUUMMM! Chill dude it's only an opinion!

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Like Rob and I mentioned, if all else fails, take a glance at the owner's manual.

Amazing how wildly confident some people are in about doing whatever they want to these cars then they wonder why they aren't running right and blame Ford.

And from what I've seen on here a 500 mile first change might not be as wild as you think. I forget who's posted it, but just a few days ago someone was showing us photos of some pretty big crap they pulled out of the car at the first oil change. I don't feel a need to do this yet and expect to be waiting until 4,500 or so, but I am keeping an eye on the oil.

PS Whining about the environmental impact of a single oil change at 500 miles when you are tearing around in a 412 hp high-performance Mustang GT V-8 so hypocritical I can't even believe I read it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Have my GT MT about six weeks. It's not my DD so only just broke 500 miles. Looking forward to potential trip in September to upstate New York and adding some mileage and drive time. Also had to re-learn driving the MT. No cruise control and avoided constant speeds which isn't hard given limited long distance drives. I usually shift before 3000 rpm but occasionally at 3500 to 4000. I am ready to push it higher but what rpms is reasonable? In the auto transmissions what's the highest rpm you see before it shifts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.