Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"what is the best souding exhaust for a v6?" "how do i make my v6 a v8?" "what exhaust should i get for my v6?"....

all of these questions can be found riddled within the v6 forums, 05+forums, and even the lounge! but the hard reality of the questions are that they cant really be answered by anyone but yourself. the only thing you can really do is arm yourself with knowledge, and that is what i am going to attempt to give you right here in this thread.

First things first, your v6 will NEVER sound like a V8, not in a million years, but that is not to say that a v6 cannot sound really great.

The first thing you should understand is that there are TONS of options, with 3 seperate sections of exhaust (exhaust manifolds, mid-pipes, and mufflers) the possibilities are almost limitless to what you can do, and each and every combination has the potential to sound entirely different than the next.

the stock exhaust on mustangs is 2.5 inches in diameter, do NOT increase the diameter of your pipes because someone tells you it will flow better unless you plan on running like 900 pounds of boost. basically, your sixer will not be making enough power to fill 3 inches or more of piping, just leave it be, or else you will actually lose power.

lets start with exhaust manifolds
the three options we have here are simple.
Longtube Headers- these can be purchases from someone like kooks, JBA, hooker, BBK, etc. for a nominal fee, which can easily reach 500-600 just for the headers themselves, not to mention the new midpipe you will need, but we will get into that later. long tubes will give your v6 a more hollow, pinging sound, more like a v8, but again, not quite there. not only will long tubes give you a more desirable, hollow, deeper exhaust note, but they also add the most power, easily netting you 15 little ponies to the wheels (or in most v6 cases, to the wheel :shigrin )

Aftermarket Shorty Headers- these can be purchased again, from companies like BBK, JBA, Pypes, etc but will not set you back like the long tubes will, with a price tag of anywhere from 250-450 they are a bit cheaper, but still not what you would call dirt cheap. BUYER BEWARE on almost all shorty headers, companies will claim gains of 10-15 horsepower for their shorty headers, but in reality, shorty headers will ONLY give you 1 or 2 horses, IF THAT. Shorty headers will NOT significantly change your exhaust note. they might make it a little smoother, maybe a little deeper, but not much, maybe not even enough to be noticable. Really, the main advantage of shorties is how pretty the chrome ones look under the hood! :bigthumbsup
my advice is....dont waste your money, either go big (long tubes) or....

Keep Stock Manifolds- the stock manifolds on the 05+ v6's breathe fine, as evident by the extremely minimal gains by upgrading to shorty headers. this is the cheapest, route, but unless you are upgrading to long tubes, this route is perfectly fine.

next we have midpipes, the section between the headers and the mufflers, these literally come in all shapes and sizes, but can be broken down as such. unlike the exhaust manifolds, this is a required upgrade for all dual exhaust seekers because our factory Y-pipe will not work.

before i get into the shape/size options, you need to understand your emission options. stock midpipes require you to have catalytic converters, which basically catalyze the poinonous exhaust gases, and make it break up into safe gasses (just a little chemistry lesson for ya! :bigthumbsup ). of course you can imagine taking these catalytic converters, or "cats", is illegal, but it is an option...

Off Road Pipes- these are the cat-less pipes i was talking about. people usually buy these pipes to get more power because the cats are very restrictive little devices. this will also give MOST cars a more aggressive sound. i say MOST because by most i pretty much mean GT's. most V6's with off road pipes get a real poppy sounding when you rev, and warming up the car wont make it completely go away! it will give you more power, but in my opinion, not enough power to overcome the undesireable sound.

High Flow Cats- another catalytic converter choice, this option doesnt delete the cats completely, but it makes them more wide open for increased flow, and decreased emissions control. with these, you might throw an emissions code, you might not, these are intended to be a happy medium between flow and emissions, but you could throw a code with these cats. you will gain power with these, and have less poppy-ness from your exhaust note, but that pop could still stay there, creating an undesireable note, make sure you do more research if you want either off road pipes, or high flow cats.

now that we got that out of the way, lets talk about se....sizes...

there are two sizes we need to worry about...

Normal length mid pipes- these are midpipes with the same length as your stockers, intended to be used with stock exhaust manifolds, or any shorty headers.

Shorty Mid Pipes- these are shorter mid pipes intended to be used in combination with long tube headers.

almost done, now we need to talk about the midpipe shape options there are available.

H pipes- these are the stock shapes on all GT's the two pipes go backwards from the cats, and are connected in the middle by a perpendicular tube, making the shape of an H, thus, the name h pipe. these pipes are considered to be pipes that give you the deepest, smoothest, and in many opinions, the most desireable "hot rod" sound. these come in shorty/normal length, off road, and high flow in both sizes

X Pipes- these pipes are usually used by mustang owners who want the most power out of their exhaust set up, as these pipe converge in the middle to form an X shape. again, these come in shorty/normal length, off road, and high flow.

Custom Pipes-here is another option that is gaining popularity. with this option you can just go to a local exhaust shop and ask them to either make you an X or an H pipe, or do what i did and have them cut your factory Y pipe, and just run two seperate straight pipes back to your mufflers. you can usually find a shop to do this, including installation of mufflers for around 200, if not under 200.

now the moment youve all been waiting for, the great muffler debate. choosing the right muffler for you is purely a "your taste" type of decision, and your "economic situation" type decision. i will do my best to analyze and break down just how some popular mufflers sound, but then again, it is just my opinion.

it all comes down to taste, and money, remember that...

here are just some popular brands and what i think they sound like

keep in mind, minor modifications sometimes have a big effect on the exhaust note, for example, with a CAI, flowmasters seem to go from pretty poppy, to mostly smooth with the addition of the intake....just keep it in mind. also keep in mind that mufflers usually get deeper and louder the more they break in.

any aftermarket muffler should net you about 7-10 horsepower to the wheels, or the aforementioned wheel. you will not gain any more power by going duals, than you would if you stayed with a single muffler (unless you get long tubes or an X pipe)

some popular brands include...
Pypes Violators
Flowmaster American Thunders
Mangaflow magnapacks
Borla Stingers
GT takeoffs
SLP loudmouths
Bassani
FRPP kits

lets start with what i have heard, and what i have.

custom piping (cut y pipe, two independant pipes back to the mufflers) stock headers, and dual pypes violators.

these mufflers are extremely loud, and just BARK at wid open throttle. they sound amazing when you get on it, but a tad bit queit at idle, but thats nothing a little idle adjustment cant fix (i moved mine from stock to 925 with an SCT SF3 tuner) the addition of the CAI deepened the tone a bit as well. these are nice and cheap, and sound GREAT, especially for the price.

next we have flowmaster american thunders (same midpipe as mine)
at only 100 dollars more than the pypes violators, these are probably the most popular mufflers for any year mustang. they are known for their deep, hot rod sound, but tend to be a little poppy on the v6's. but like i said, with the addition of the CAI, it really smoothed them out, making these some of the best mufflers ive heard for the price.

next we have Borla Stingers, i was not sure on the midpipe and header combo, all i know is that it was NOT long tubes.

these are hands down my favorite mufflers i have ever heard. they combine the deepness of flowmasters, with the smoothness of butter. some v6 guys are even happy with just ONE stinger because they sound so great. there is just one problem, they are 600 dollarsa pair. if you have the cash, and want a GREAT sounding exhaust, take a look into borlas!

magnapacks

these are an aggressive muffler, not as aggressive as violators, but also not as loud. im not TOO familiar on these so sorry for the skimpy info.

SLP loudmouths

SLP loudmouths are basically a mufflerless axleback option. these are illegal in most states because they do not feature mufflers or resonators. ive heard these in person on a GT and they are amazing, best sound ive ever heard for a otherwise stock GT, but with v6's its hit or miss. depending on your combo they could sound amazing, realy deep, and real loud, or they could just sound really loud, and sound like an old beater, ive heard both. you are taking your chances with this brand.

GT take offs

these are by far the cheapest way to go, with a price tag of 80 bucks from new take off, or for less if you buy from ebay or craigslist, they are 150 bucks cheaper than the next alternative. thes coupled with an H or X pipe sound pretty good, somewhat deep, but also very quiet. they are usually for people who do not want an over the top loud exhaust system, but still want a nice growl.

now, lets talk about the FRPP exhaust package, it has a price tag of around 800 dollars, and a lot of people think they should get it because it has the FRPP name on it. well basically you are paying 800 dollars for some GT takeoff mufflers, and an X pipe, something you could get for half that price. one thing you want to do when buying exhaust, is do research, listen to videos, do more research, listen to more videos, shop around, shop around some more. there is nothing worse than buying exhaust for 500 dollars and ending up not liking it.

one good idea would be to go to some car shows, mustang meets, etc. and ask around. see if any v6 owners have the exhaust you are thinking about, find out their set up, and take a listen to it.

just make sure you know what you are getting before you get it.

this by no means is a list of EVERY possible muffler combination and is by no means the only ways to change your exhaust note. there are also cams, and heads, and internal engine parts that will change the tone, but that will cost big bank.

if anybody wants to add analysis on their set up go ahead and post.

Reactions: kraffinan

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
silver, youve been here long enough to know that the exaust threads are the most popular questions by far in the v6 forums. its not gonna change. i dont agree with the stock cast iron mainfolds are as good as shortie headers. the tubes flow much better than the shared space cast iron, the collectors are bigger on the shorties and will flow better too not to mention the 20 lb weight difference. there was a good article i saw in 5.0 mag on v6 shortie performance but now i cant find it. if i come across it i`ll post it up. otherwise, good writeup :)

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well still, i cant really justify spending 350 on a set of shorties that will only give you 2-3 hp, just not worth it to me

i wrote this so whenever an exhaust thread pops up, i can just send this link. im getting tired of posting the same thing over and over!

i would love to see that article on shorties, but was it for a 5.0? because more power from the 5.0 would probably yeild increased results out of shorties, at least more so than the 4.0

·
Registered
72 Posts
so quick question i was planning on going with the loudmouths cause they seem to be the loudest, now I have an CAI plus I have an x pipe soo will they sound good with that combo or will they sound bad (anybody with experience with them)? and on american muscle they say they r legal in all 50 states but you say they are not sooo are they legal or are they not?:headscratch: (oh and by the way good thread, lots of info:gringreen)

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the loudmouths could sound pretty good with the CAI and x pipe if its catted.

michigan law states that all vehicles must have mufflers and/or resonators on their car at all times. thats how they get you, on american muscle it says they are 50 state EMISSIONS legal, which they are, because they dont remove the cats, and the mufflers have nothing to do with emissions, its all about sound control.

look up your local laws, and if it says you have to have muffs, the SLP LM's will be illegal just so you know

·
Registered
411 Posts
I dont care what anyone says, very well done and informative write up!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
495 Posts
You forgot the MAC boomtubes and axle back keke ;). The MAC axle back have a very deep tone with considerably less popping from the exhaust at rev. they have a great hollow sound when you get on it, but still stay very deep. they are a lot louder than stock but not louder than boom tubes or SLP loudmouth. Boomtubes are the MAC equivalent to the loudmouth. there is a bit of a drone with these, as well as with the Borla stingers. the MACs grow out of the drone as they mature, but if you really want to get rid of it, add insulation in your trunk and rear seats (which our cars dont have any)

·
Registered
954 Posts
i wrote this so whenever an exhaust thread pops up, i can just send this link. im getting tired of posting the same thing over and over!
These are my sentiments exactly.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
well still, i cant really justify spending 350 on a set of shorties that will only give you 2-3 hp, just not worth it to me

i would love to see that article on shorties, but was it for a 5.0? because more power from the 5.0 would probably yeild increased results out of shorties, at least more so than the 4.0
it was a article about the v6 4.0 that a shop modded up and did a bunch of testing. they were dialing in each mod with the dyno and sct tuner. it was on a link that someone had posted on here. it was a nice article too and they were impressed with the 4.0.i paid 114.00 for mine and they are well worth it. you dont have to go jba for 400.00, and i agree, thats kinda a waste of money just paying for a name. when it comes to mod gains, every little bit adds up in the end

I dont care what anyone says, very well done and informative write up!:bigthumbsup
i`m guessing this was aimed at me, but i agreed, it was a great write up.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Not really aimed at anyone in particular, I know this topic has been beaten to death like so many others and hopefully this well written thread will be another tool a person can use to get info rather than posting another"whats the best exhaust combo" thread.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
495 Posts
it was a article about the v6 4.0 that a shop modded up and did a bunch of testing. they were dialing in each mod with the dyno and sct tuner. it was on a link that someone had posted on here. it was a nice article too and they were impressed with the 4.0.i paid 114.00 for mine and they are well worth it. you dont have to go jba for 400.00, and i agree, thats kinda a waste of money just paying for a name. when it comes to mod gains, every little bit adds up in the end

i`m guessing this was aimed at me, but i agreed, it was a great write up.

what headers did you get? and where did you get them?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Very well done "SilverBullet07" I read the whole thing and agreed to every thing you said :bigthumbsup Tried to find some error and poke you but couldnt :laugh:
Im just going to add some more muffler options but cant write anything about them because i never had experience.

Mac axle backs:
The one i have and my favorite. As Corban said they are really making the V6 sound deep and aggressive for the price of drone which if you love the sound you'll force yourself to get use to it. On idle it has a beautifull rumble to it that i never found anything close to it.

Mrt:
These are kinda famous too but i havnt seem them for a while and no clue on description

Corsa:
Very similar to Borla Stingers with people claiming very little to no drone at all with a very deep and aggressive tone but they aint cheap $750 for a pair

JBA:
Havnt seen it on too many V6 and the one i saw was mostly miss than hit but i dont judge because they were only video and too many factors come into play (camera setup, mic strength, position etc...)

Chery Bomb Extreme:
These are not the glasspack that Cherrys are famous for, instead a really deep mufflers that i never heard on V6 :shigrin Ninosport carry these for GT and the sound clip was super nice, i wish one day i can try these on my 6.

MBRP Axle-back:
These are getting famous on GT crowds and sound really loud even on stock GTs, good looking mufflers with a fair price, never heard it on V6 but thats another option too

·
Registered
671 Posts
How about the Borla used by Shelby on the Terlingua? I heard that sounds like a beast but maybe its from all the other mods. Any input is welcome...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thanks for a very well thought out and unbiased primer. This should be a good enough guide for anyone considering exhaust modifications. I've been on the boards since 2005 when I bought my Stang and exhaust is the most asked about topic.
Nice job!

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the comments guys, someone asked about the borla on the shelby V6. Of course it sounds amazing. For one, its borla as said before, they are one of the best sounding exhaust I my opinion, and the other supporting mods are ridiculous

·
Registered
566 Posts
i would do the youtube research or if you have a mustang club i would go to there next meet and see what the guys have there and see what you like

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has anyone heard the SLP powerflo's IRL? Youtube scares me lol. The advertisement on there is for a single axle-back system. Sounds pretty good. $260 for a muffler is kind of upsetting... I just don't want to deal with the hassle of converting to dual when I will replace the car when I graduate. Let me know if anyone has any input on that.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
never heard power flos, but ive heard borla makes an excellent single muffler for the v6's

·
Registered
4 Posts
New Pony - will a muffler swap void the warranty?

Hello all,

:headscratch: I'm more than certain this has been asked in several places, but I'm going to ask anyway....

Just picked up a new '09 V6 a few weeks back (traded in my '05). I had just snagged a pair of GT takeoffs when I bought my new Pony.

The dreaded question now is - if I go ahead and swap my new stock muffler for the RH GT muffler, do I void the factory warranty? I've heard and read opinions all over the place. I actually have the H-pipe for the takeoffs as well, but I figured I wouldn't tempt fate by installing that too.

Thanks as always.

1 - 20 of 238 Posts