Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this the dreaded trans problem?

I'm new to driving a manual but I've gotten pretty smooth with it and this is seeming less an less like a fluke. Car has just under 2k miles.

I'll be driving normally, accelerating up to speed and when I try to shift into third I physically can't move the shifter into 3rd. No noise, it just won't go in. Last time it happened I let off the clutch about halfway in neutral and then pushed it back in and this time I did get into third. Previously if I'd gone back down to second or straight to 4th and then tried third again, it went in like normal.

Does not do it all the time- in fact Id probably have no luck demonstrating it if I tried. The last few days have been hot and in the 90s. Hot weather may be a factor but as of now it seems pretty random.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
crap, i thought that was a problem just with the 2011's.
2012's have the exact same transmission as 2011's. The clutch assembly has been revised but otherwise it's the same Chinese MT82. My 2012 will grind in 2nd and 3rd gear at temperatures under 60F. The lockout problem seems more isolated but notchiness and grinding are pretty common and seem to be a characteristic of the transmission.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
The OP admits he's fairly new to manuals and he has a couple of random incidents so we jump to the conclusion he's got a bad transmission already? Wow.

I know when I was learning to drive a manual I never had any trouble getting the car into gear... ever.

ROFL! :kooky:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope it's me... or maybe a linkage slightly out of adjustment.

Thing is I went from weeks of no trouble- user error or otherwise to having it happen repeatedly for a couple days in a row which is why I'm posting.

Only interested in the mechanal situation and the last thing I want is to not have my car for several days while the transmission is torn apart. I don't have any interest in all the drama.

Guess if it continues/gets worse I'll make an appointment with the dealer. If something is wrong I definitely want it fixed.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Well the usual suspects will tell you you're driving it wrong. IMHO, PM Deysha and have your dealer look into it. It's unlikely they'll want to tear into the transmission.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Well the usual suspects will tell you you're driving it wrong. IMHO, PM Deysha and have your dealer look into it. It's unlikely they'll want to tear into the transmission.
I agree, talk with Deysha; because if there is a problem still persistent in their new design.. I am sure they would like to know more.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
What is your method of shifting? Do you grip the shifter and push it into third or do you place your hand behind it and push forward letting the shifter smoothly find its way into gear? I've found the latter the best way to engage third. One problem I've found is when there is something in the cup holder it changes my arm angle and occasionally I'll hit right between second and third if I'm trying to shift too fast..

·
Registered
292 Posts
What is your method of shifting? Do you grip the shifter and push it into third or do you place your hand behind it and push forward letting the shifter smoothly find its way into gear? I've found the latter the best way to engage third. One problem I've found is when there is something in the cup holder it changes my arm angle and occasionally I'll hit right between second and third if I'm trying to shift too fast..
+1
I found the same thing.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I know when I was learning to drive a manual I never had any trouble getting the car into gear... ever.
As with most of us who didn't have the MT82 as the first manual to learn. I had to learn on a crappy Dodge Daytona Turbo Z which was a coarse transmission but it never locked you out. The MT82 transmission is what it is. Works great for some people, average for others, and plain doesn't work right for some.

·
Banned
2,000 Posts
PM Deysha and get your car looked at if you're concerned. If nothing else, you'll have it documented should it become an issue in the future.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm somewhat assuming here...

Speed shifting the MT82 doesn't always work if you're not simply pushing it up and letting it center itself, before going into third. Trust me, this can be done quickly, with little to no practice! Any attempt to manually place it in third may result in a miss-shift, especially with our pattern six speed. In other words... trust the mechanics of the shifter, not yourself.

I learned on a 69 GTO 4-speed with a Hurst Shifter years ago... at first, I was fighting it all the time. Once I learned, I was a monster waiting for a ticket. "Honest Dad, I was just up shifting to the posted speed limit." <- Sorry, I had a flash-back moment.

If you're still having issues, I would suggest the Barton shift bracket (about 80 bucks). Very easy to install. This will help your second to third shifts under very hard acceleration.

Just my two cents worth!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I got to playing around and noticed that if I moved slowly into third I never had issues. I also sat parked and played with the shifter for a bit and discovered if you go from 2-3 just wrong there's a spot where it will hang up and you can't push it all the way in. I think this is what I was hitting and I think I know why.... of all the silly reasons.

It seems that when there's a drink in the cupholder my arm is thrown off just so that with the movement I've developed a muscle memory for that 2-3 shift I tend to hit that bind up point.

I haven't had a drink in the car much but it's hot lately so I have. So this may be it. I'll keep regarding it critically but this may be the only issue. It was just so weird having not done that for so long and then having it happen a bunch of times at once.

F

·
0 Posts
I agree, talk with Deysha; because if there is a problem still persistent in their new design.. I am sure they would like to know more.
Yes, both of your are correct. Please let me know so I can forward the info.

Deysha

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am having the same issue with second gear. Took my car to the dealer yesterday for a low tire pressure indicator (tire ate a nail) and mentioned this issue with them yesterday but they didn't even drive the car to look into it because thier transmission guy wasn't in until the afternoon. They wanted to keep the car a few days but I wasn't ready for that yet, but plan on taking it to another dealer soon.

The dealer chewed up my rim during a simple flat repair =( Working with the service manager there to see how we can rectify the issue and he said he should be getting back to me this morning.

G

·
0 Posts
Ok I got to playing around and noticed that if I moved slowly into third I never had issues. I also sat parked and played with the shifter for a bit and discovered if you go from 2-3 just wrong there's a spot where it will hang up and you can't push it all the way in. I think this is what I was hitting and I think I know why.... of all the silly reasons.

It seems that when there's a drink in the cupholder my arm is thrown off just so that with the movement I've developed a muscle memory for that 2-3 shift I tend to hit that bind up point.

I haven't had a drink in the car much but it's hot lately so I have. So this may be it. I'll keep regarding it critically but this may be the only issue. It was just so weird having not done that for so long and then having it happen a bunch of times at once.
I'm glad to hear you are really thinking about the issue and not jumping on the "crappy mt82" bandwagon. I hope things get sorted out:bigthumbsup

I enjoy the occasional Taco Bell here and there and the drinks can be rather large and obtrusive but I adhere to the "open hand" push into third and never had any issues shifting.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
246 Posts
After all of 100 miles of driving with the MT82, it does seem like a transmission that requires some unlearning of habits from other cars.

I almost have to shift it a bit like an old bug, thinking in terms of a diagonal, rather than a traditional H gate pattern (I assume that's more mental than physical, i know it's an H, but the closeness of the shiftgates and the self-centering gives it that feel).

I'm still learning the car — and taking it easy until I get a few shakedown miles on her — but I suspect that my shifts will get smoother and quicker with time, I've seen progress in just the few miles I've driven.

No complaints here...every car has its own personality and part of the fun is getting to know it.

J

·
0 Posts
It definitely takes some "getting used to" but it's pretty rewarding when you get it down. You have to shift much slower than other cars I've owned but it can be really smooth and solid when you figure out it's little eccentricities. For instance instead of shifting directly into 2nd from 1st I pause in neutral and let the shifter center and find it's way in. Downshifting to 5th is clunky unless you take it slow and let the shifter find it's way thru the 2 stage engagement of 5th. 4th and 6th are never a problem and I just pull back and it always finds home without a notch or grind.

After all of 100 miles of driving with the MT82, it does seem like a transmission that requires some unlearning of habits from other cars.

I almost have to shift it a bit like an old bug, thinking in terms of a diagonal, rather than a traditional H gate pattern (I assume that's more mental than physical, i know it's an H, but the closeness of the shiftgates and the self-centering gives it that feel).

I'm still learning the car — and taking it easy until I get a few shakedown miles on her — but I suspect that my shifts will get smoother and quicker with time, I've seen progress in just the few miles I've driven.

No complaints here...every car has its own personality and part of the fun is getting to know it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
It definitely takes some "getting used to" but it's pretty rewarding when you get it down. You have to shift much slower than other cars I've owned but it can be really smooth and solid when you figure out it's little eccentricities. For instance instead of shifting directly into 2nd from 1st I pause in neutral and let the shifter center and find it's way in. Downshifting to 5th is clunky unless you take it slow and let the shifter find it's way thru the 2 stage engagement of 5th. 4th and 6th are never a problem and I just pull back and it always finds home without a notch or grind.
1st to 2nd in a turn is tricky for me, I have to pause until I'm most of the way through the turn before I can pull back without issue and by then I need to rev match. 2nd to 3rd gives a grind unless I shift very softly and slowly, the same for 3rd to 4th. 5th and 6th give me no issues up or down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.