Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
This is not going to be good for Brenspeed's business. Has anyone heard of anyone running a BAMA tune having the #8 cylinder problem???

·
Registered
937 Posts
This is not going to be good for Brenspeed's business. Has anyone heard of anyone running a BAMA tune having the #8 cylinder problem???
I think they said there were 2 cars running BAMA, way back when they messed with the knock sensors. There was no real gain in power or performance, so they put everything back to factory values and have left them alone since. Just what I recall in another thread... :bounce2:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Have there been any #8 failures on a 100% stock vehicle yet?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Have there been any #8 failures on a 100% stock vehicle yet?

Another great question. I wonder how much of this is the same problem recirculating over and over. I feel for those it has happened to....

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
has to be tunes where either the knock sensors have been adjusted or these bafoons are running **** gas on aggressive tunes

·
Registered
459 Posts
On the one hand it makes me sick thinking about this happening. On the other, there are cars out there making tons of power on the stock pistons with no failures...wierd.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Brenspeed in the main thread advised that their tunes were safe and they did not manipulate the knock settings away from stock in the tunes they write.

From what I understand and correct me if I am wrong the tuners can either have a global knock setting (stock) or have the knock settings set for individual cylinders (not safe).

Continued reassurance from Brenspeed would be nice, given this latest incident supposedly involved one of their tunes.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont care which tuner it is, this **** is really depressing

·
Registered
568 Posts
How about some of the dudes beating the crap out of their cars in 90-100 degree weather.

Here is what Brenspeed said

This is actually the 3rd customer who has contacted us about this issue. 3rd customer in the last year and of those 3 we have probably sent out atleast 500-600 2011 5.0 tunes. The first customer of ours who blew a number 8 the Ford engineer covered it under warranty due to an oil squirter failing, the second (who i believe is a member on here) broke a rod bearing (split in half) and the third customer is this customer who you are reading about and the car hasnt been to the dealer to diagnose the issue. We have also heard of long tube headers causing this issue as well, which i find it very hard to believe, but again there are no facts, just speculation. The funny thing is that everyone is blaming the tune, but this is an ongoing issue (according to our local ford dealer) on the FORD tech forums and there is a lot of finger pointing going on. You all are just hearing about cars with tunes having these #8 issues on forums, but if you look at the facts 90% of the 5.0 customers on forums have their cars modified and are running tunes. These issues are happening on FRPP tunes as well as 100% stock cars, so its very hard to place the blame on the tune. All of the cars that we have heard about having this issue have been EARLY production cars, but who's to say that has anything to do with it, because we dont know the facts and probably never will. We have been running our most aggressive Race tune (more aggressive than we send out to customers) on our 2011 test car for the last 16k miles (on 93 pump gas) and have raced it at nearly all NMRA events and definitely a LOT of spirited driving and abuse (naturally aspirated and with over 600rwhp to the wheels with a Vortech). We also have 2 other 2011-2012 in house test cars with ZERO issues as well. Ford's OEM calibration has parameters in place to protect the engine and we DO NOT remove these calibrations or alter the parameters. If anyone has any concerns or questions feel free to call me anytime. I can be reached directly at 574.594.9559 ext 3.

Thanks,
Chandler

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
How about some of the dudes beating the crap out of their cars in 90-100 degree weather.

This is actually the 3rd customer who has contacted us about this issue. 3rd customer in the last year and of those 3 we have probably sent out atleast 500-600 2011 5.0 tunes. The first customer of ours who blew a number 8 the Ford engineer covered it under warranty due to an oil squirter failing, the second (who i believe is a member on here) broke a rod bearing (split in half) and the third customer is this customer who you are reading about and the car hasnt been to the dealer to diagnose the issue. We have also heard of long tube headers causing this issue as well, which i find it very hard to believe, but again there are no facts, just speculation. The funny thing is that everyone is blaming the tune, but this is an ongoing issue (according to our local ford dealer) on the FORD tech forums and there is a lot of finger pointing going on. You all are just hearing about cars with tunes having these #8 issues on forums, but if you look at the facts 90% of the 5.0 customers on forums have their cars modified and are running tunes. These issues are happening on FRPP tunes as well as 100% stock cars, so its very hard to place the blame on the tune. All of the cars that we have heard about having this issue have been EARLY production cars, but who's to say that has anything to do with it, because we dont know the facts and probably never will. We have been running our most aggressive Race tune (more aggressive than we send out to customers) on our 2011 test car for the last 16k miles (on 93 pump gas) and have raced it at nearly all NMRA events and definitely a LOT of spirited driving and abuse (naturally aspirated and with over 600rwhp to the wheels with a Vortech). We also have 2 other 2011-2012 in house test cars with ZERO issues as well. Ford's OEM calibration has parameters in place to protect the engine and we DO NOT remove these calibrations or alter the parameters. If anyone has any concerns or questions feel free to call me anytime. I can be reached directly at 574.594.9559 ext 3.

Thanks,
Chandler
Where is this happening to stock cars??? I have yet to see that..

·
Registered
356 Posts
Probably because people with stock cars aren't all over the internet reading about modding their cars. Websites tend to attract enthusiats that mod their cars. Even then, if you had 8-10 piston failures out of 10k cars, the failure is so small I'm sure there are other things to be worried about. There is no way to get good statistics or data from a web forum.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
I hang out on a lot of Mustang forums and have read nothing about stock engines failing due to the #8.

Aggressive Tune + Bad Gas + Hot Weather = #8 Failure

·
Registered
158 Posts

Thanks,
Chandler
So he mentions 'early production' cars.. well what exactly qualifies as 'early production'?
I have an April 2010 build date, which seems to me would put me into that category. Not very reassuring from my point of view.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I hang out on a lot of Mustang forums and
Aggressive Tune + Bad Gas + Hot Weather = #8 Failure

Agreed. I almost never run 87 octane and if i do, its because its raining all week and i wont get her above 4500rpm if that. (and thats on stock tune no less).

To tune a car and then put in 87octane, then race the crap out of it in 99degree weather...one almost has to ask...why arent MORE cars failing (i mean seriously, that combination of stupidity probably isnt as rare as you think and its amazing that the cars are holding up as well as they are with people like that out there...lol).

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I guess I'm the only person on this forum who actually remembers what they read, and I don't even have a 5.0L.

I work at a Ford dealership. We had one Mustang come in, a 2011 GT which had 6000 miles on it & a blown number 8 cylinder. It wasn't the piston that failed, it was the head. I talked to our mechanic & what caused it to fail was the Number 8 spark plug had factory flaw where the plug screwed into the top of the head over the Number 8 cylinder.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...king-other-members-cylinder-8-failures-7.html

I also find it funny that Ford released a TSB in regards to this issue which in effect stats any mods what so ever will void the warranty on the 5.0L.

Why would that be when the after market business has been so good, & is the reason why many buy the Mustang in the first place?

1. Tuners don't know what they're doing, despite the fact this issue hasn't happened to the 4.6L & 3.7L (any cyl failures) engines?

2. Because they designed it for max power in the stock configuration, unlike any of their other production street vehicle ever?

3. Ford made a mistake in the design process & don't have as much margin as they did with the 4.6L?

4. Or had/have manufacturing defects on some 5.0L engines?

Carry on.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I was told by my dealer I needed to get a tune in order to remove a couple of drivability issues I did not care for, although they are inherent on the 5.0L. When I went back last week I talked more about the tune and the dealer said they stopped installing tunes from the dealership due to the TSB. They were using FRPP tune and I was told the issue was that the tune was leaning the car out at idle, which in turn leaned it out across the RPM range. This made the car sound better at idle and offered better performance across the whole RPM range. The lean condition was what is believed to be causing the issue. Again this according to a trusted dealer. I dont know how the other tuners are mapping their tunes.

Needless to say I will be sticking with the sluggish throttle response and the hanging idle. :)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Probably because people with stock cars aren't all over the internet reading about modding their cars. Websites tend to attract enthusiats that mod their cars. Even then, if you had 8-10 piston failures out of 10k cars, the failure is so small I'm sure there are other things to be worried about. There is no way to get good statistics or data from a web forum.
Maybe, but until I hear of a stock one actually confirmed it is just hearsay.
There are enough tuned #8's confirmed to sway me from tuning. It's just not worth the risk.:nogrinner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts