Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oil capacity of your 2011 V6 Mustang

21K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  arnold66 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I just recently changed my oil for the first time in my 11 v6.

According to the owners manual, it requires 6 liters for the 6 and 8 for the 8. I followed the owners manual on my six and now when i check the oil dipstick, I am about a 1/4 inch over the max hole. The oil stops just before the second bend in the dipstick. What are your experiences with oil capacity and should i be concerned that the oil is a 1/4 inch over the max hole? Again it ends just before the second bend.

I have owned many cars, but I care for this car beyond any before and i relies I may sound paranoid, I just dont want to cause ANY harm to my new motor.

#2 ·
I'd never put in what the "capacity" is. You'll always have extra oil in there after your drain. In the 5.0, I'd put in 7 quarts with no worries, and then begin measuring with the stick by 1/4 quarts increments after that.... at least, that's what I did on my first change and it seemed to work finel.

#4 ·
+1

just don't blindly put in 8 because that is what the capacity is; remember that even though you drained your oil, the engine is not completely dry; there is some oil remaining on the engine internals which is why it is important to continuing to add/measure during the last half a quart or so.

#3 ·
Well If it makes you feel any better every book I have for my mustang (1990 GT) says it takes 5 quarts with an oil filter. Doing a oil change and changing the filter (which I change every time, but there are some that leave it on longer). Anyways everytime I put 5 quarts in it is always above the full mark by about a 1/4 inch and it has 103,000 miles. When ford replaced my transmission they filled the transmission back full of transmission fluid....even hot it is like 3 inches above the full mark.

Got a 1990 nissan truck that holds 4.5 quarts (and I have no use for a half a quart of oil sitting around, so the other half goes in it for a total of 5 quarts). This puts it about a 1/4 inch or so above the full line too...It has over 250,000 miles and no problems.

In my expereiences a 1/4 inch over the full mark isn't going to hurt anything....I'd be more worried about it being a 1/4 inch below the low mark, just my 2 cents on it anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.