Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my oil last summer and only drove roughly 1K miles before I unexpectedly had to park the car, and haven't driven it since. I'm going to be getting the car back on the road, hopefully, and am wondering if the Royal Purple synthetic that I have in the car is still good.

·
Super Moderator
2,918 Posts
I changed my oil last summer and only drove roughly 1K miles before I unexpectedly had to park the car, and haven't driven it since. I'm going to be getting the car back on the road, hopefully, and am wondering if the Royal Purple synthetic that I have in the car is still good.

I am sure you know this, but you are going to get many different and a wide range of options here on this question. Notice I said opinions as they are just that as there aren't many facts on this.

Some say it was in the ground 1000's of years, in a bottle on a shelf for who knows how long, so why would sitting in your car be any different. I have been told that many times by many mechanics and friends when talking on this topic. Then you get the other side of since it is in your car it was open to the environment and moistures...

Personally I bought a car last year that was a "show car" and had less than maybe 1000 miles on the oil, but because it had been in there for a couple years I changed it first thing. Now of course that guy drove it every now and then and didn't worry about it. So who knows what is right/wrong or ok/not ok. I personally and my opinion would lean towards changing it especially if you are going to drive it hard this summer. I mean what is a $100 for a oil change if it saves you a few thousand from not doing it and something goes wrong. I look at it as cheap insurance. haha

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
Yeah I'd be 99.9% confident and comfortable that it is still good.

But I'd change it anyway, at least once a year. . . . however would not stress to much if I didn't get to it for a while.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Most likely still good and just fine, but I doubt you'll find a single oil expert to know for sure.

If you're worried about it, just change it. Not overly expensive to calm your nerves if you're going to worry about it.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
!,000 miles on a high grade synthetic oil in an engine that is in
good shape with little blow by is barely contaminated at this point.
It should be considered still good. There might a slight water contamination
but it will boil off once the engine is run for a little while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts