Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey its just about time for an oil change and I need input on what Brand I should use for best quality. I took my car to Firestone previously and they used 5w-40 Full Synthetic. I've decided to change my own oil from now on... (I feel more comfortable this way)... and I wanted to see what the best oil is... I was thinking Royal Purple or Mobil 1 Full Synthetic... Any recommendations?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No haha not really... its the only weight they have in Full Synthetic. Thats partially why I want to do it myself.​

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
stick with the 5w 20

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
It depends. For a street car that doesn't get beat on too badly, pretty much any name brand "Full Synthetic" will perform just fine.

STepping up to something like Royal Purple or Redline won't provide any real advantage, but will cost a lot more.

I never recommend M1 anymore. It's not a true synthtic, but it's priced like one.

·
Registered
41,825 Posts
I use the Mobil 1 synthetic oil. Seems to be working real good for me.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The Mobil 1 suits me just fine.. non of the oils you see really aren't "true" synthetics... Except for AmSoil and RP... I've heard RP messing with motors... If you want a good Full synth. Mobil 1 is fine... if you want the best, I hear it's Amsoil.

·
Registered
398 Posts
It depends. For a street car that doesn't get beat on too badly, pretty much any name brand "Full Synthetic" will perform just fine.

STepping up to something like Royal Purple or Redline won't provide any real advantage, but will cost a lot more.

I never recommend M1 anymore. It's not a true synthtic, but it's priced like one.
Where did you come by the information that Mobil 1 is not full synthetic? I've got two 5 qt jugs sitting in the garage now and they both state full synthetic on the containers.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Where did you come by the information that Mobil 1 is not full synthetic? I've got two 5 qt jugs sitting in the garage now and they both state full synthetic on the containers.
The term "Full Synthetic" is a legal term that does not necessarily mean the oil is really 100 percent synthetic.

It's like "All natural Ingredients" on a cereal box.

FWIW Mobil one uses PAO's but not for the base stock so it is technically a group III oil.

I believe Amsoil and Motul are the only true synthetics these days.
I'm not sure about Royal Purple.

Personally I find Mobil 1 and the new Penzoil Platinum to be very good oils.

You can read all about it here:

Bob Is The Oil Guy - Powered by Motor Oil

Mobil 1 switches to group III base oils :( [Archive] - evolutionm.net

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Steve's right. It's a marketing trick. "True Synthetic" should mean just that, a fully synthetic oil. M1 starts with a group II base stock, which is dead dinosaurs. A true synthetic uses a man made molecule derived from natural gas. These synthetics are more expensive. M1 used to be made like this. But they founmd they could make the same marketing claims if they used a cheaper base stock, and make the profit margin even higher.

M1 is on par with Penzoil and QS synthetics. Not a bad oil at all. People use them with excellent results. Certainly a step up from dino oil. But, M1 is $1.50 to $2.00 a qt more than others in it's class. Why so much? Because people will pay it, not knowing the differance. I saw both Penzoil and QS on sale last week for <$4 a qt. Around here, that's a pretty good price.

M1 is not a bad oil. But it is a bad value. And I hate the bait and switch game they played on us.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey motorcarft 5w-20 or 5w-30 are good and they full synthetic. (thats was in it when came off the line.) Just don't go racing.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Hey motorcarft 5w-20 or 5w-30 are good and they full synthetic. (thats was in it when came off the line.) Just don't go racing.
?????????? I think you better do some more research before inserting foot.:headscratch:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Steve's right. It's a marketing trick. "True Synthetic" should mean just that, a fully synthetic oil. M1 starts with a group II base stock, which is dead dinosaurs. A true synthetic uses a man made molecule derived from natural gas. These synthetics are more expensive. M1 used to be made like this. But they founmd they could make the same marketing claims if they used a cheaper base stock, and make the profit margin even higher.

M1 is on par with Penzoil and QS synthetics. Not a bad oil at all. People use them with excellent results. Certainly a step up from dino oil. But, M1 is $1.50 to $2.00 a qt more than others in it's class. Why so much? Because people will pay it, not knowing the differance. I saw both Penzoil and QS on sale last week for <$4 a qt. Around here, that's a pretty good price.

M1 is not a bad oil. But it is a bad value. And I hate the bait and switch game they played on us.
Excellent description!
FWIW I use either Mobil 1 5W-20 or the new Penzoil Platinum 'Synthetic' which seems to be getting very good reviews over on the bobistheoilguy site.

Whatever is on sale :wavey

As of Motorcraft oil it's a very good oil and not expensive if you catch it on sale at Wally World.
They make a full synthetic 5w-30 but I think the 5w-20 is a blend. Again, take the word "full" with a grain of salt.

What is more important is to change your oil religiously at 3-5k miles and to use the correct oil for your car along with a quality filter.
For the 4.6 a Motorcraft, Mobil 1 or Wix filter is a good choice IMHO.
If you like Fram, I don't, make sure you only use the top model which isn't too bad.
Do not use the bottom line models as they are pure crap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.