Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
What brand and viscosity oil are you using?

Also you likely won't see smoke as it isn't burning much off each time just it all adds up over each drive/time...
I don’t remember if you stated the oil you are using or not, but most synthetic oil doesn’t produce much (if any) smoke.
I use regular ole Pennzoil 5W-20. Not even the full synthetic type

·
2,801 Posts
I use regular ole Pennzoil 5W-20. Not even the full synthetic type
Hmm you are using the correct weight it calls for... I know for the track pack cars in the 11-14's they call for 5w-50 like in the Boss 302 if I recall correctly and this is because they assume track packs and Boss 302's will get track time. As far as I know the 13-14 GT track packs and your car shares the same motor as the 13-14 GT track packs 100% I believe so maybe since you are driving it so hard as discussed earlier it might not hurt to try 5W-50 to see if this helps your problem? I say that as a question as you should do some research or wait on somebody with a little more knowledge to say if this is ok and a good idea, but just something that popped into my head just now as a wonder...

Reactions: bluej_48

·
Super Moderator
2,336 Posts
I bought my 2011 Mustang NEW in May of 2010,I ran the Ford 5W20 oil for 250 miles,drained it and went with Mobil One 5W30.I was a mechanic for 35 years and have never been a fan of 20 weight oil in anything,my Mustang GT uses no oil between changes,I also use the Fram XG series oil filter,never a problem in the 10 + years of ownership.Good luck with finding a solution to your problem and keep us posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I bought my 2011 Mustang NEW in May of 2010,I ran the Ford 5W20 oil for 250 miles,drained it and went with Mobil One 5W30.I was a mechanic for 35 years and have never been a fan of 20 weight oil in anything,my Mustang GT uses no oil between changes,I also use the Fram XG series oil filter,never a problem in the 10 + years of ownership.Good luck with finding a solution to your problem and keep us posted.
I was thinking about running a heavier weight oil but I just checked the oil left in my car now and I just went down about a quart in about 300 miles. I recently went to a shop and set up an appointment for Thursday since the oil is going somewhere excessively

·
2,801 Posts
I was thinking about running a heavier weight oil but I just checked the oil left in my car now and I just went down about a quart in about 300 miles. I recently went to a shop and set up an appointment for Thursday since the oil is going somewhere excessively
Yeah a quart in 300 miles is an issue you don't want to ignore... Report back what they find.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote
21 - 25 of 25 Posts