Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built my wife a 65 Mustang GT convertible. Instead of using the tired 289, I used a 1986 - 1993 rebuilt 302 HO engine. I also used a March billet front end on the engine which eliminated the timing chain cover oil dipstick. I am now using the driver's side oil dipstick access. The problem is a I can't find a oil dipstick and tube that works. I have tried the Lokar generic dipstick for a 302 and it doesn't work. When inserting the dipstick, it hits on something inside the block.

I called CL Pony and others for a dipstick for this particular engine and no luck.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Are you using the '86-'93 oil pan or something different? The factory center mount dipstick is designed for this pan....
'86-'93 5.0 oil pan

A '65 pan looks like this.....
'64-'73 302 oil pan

You'll need a dipstick for your specific pan.

·
Registered
699 Posts
So, your using the double hump pan (as shown in the first link) and the dipstick tube enters the block right below the 3rd freeze plug on the left side? If so, a factory '86-'93 tube and dipstick should work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, your using the double hump pan (as shown in the first link) and the dipstick tube enters the block right below the 3rd freeze plug on the left side? If so, a factory '86-'93 tube and dipstick should work.
No, thanks to you, I was at the shop today and checked. The pan is the 64-73 type. That being said, I guess I need to find a oil tube and dipstick for that model? Will a dipstick work for that pan using the driver's side access?

Thank you so much for your help!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Will a dipstick work for that pan using the driver's side access?
I don't think so unless there's an aftermarket piece I'm not aware of. I believe you'll need the early timing cover with access for the dipstick tube. Is there any way to integrate the correct timing cover with the March pulley setup?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think so unless there's an aftermarket piece I'm not aware of. I believe you'll need the early timing cover with access for the dipstick tube. Is there any way to integrate the correct timing cover with the March pulley setup?
Unfortunately it won't. The March system requires their entire front end which includes their timing cover....

·
Registered
699 Posts
Well.....I'm at a loss! Try over on www.stangnet.com. There's a lot of very knowledgeable folks over there. Someone may have an answer. Worse case scenario.....sell off the March system ($$$) and go with an early timing cover/dipstick and stock pulley configuration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts