Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a college Kid with really not a lot of money. i changed my oil today, and i know my oil tank has been slipping on the threading, i thought it might be the plug so i bought a nice new bolt and it worked out, but today when i removed the drain bolt most of the thread from the hole in the tank came off. so basically the bolt wont tighten... i have an oil leak, and was wondering if there is any way to maybe make some sort of secure new bolt nut system without having to buy a new tank?. also if there is any way to maybe stop the leak for now because i cant work on the car for a week or so. thank you so much
Chad

·
Registered
306 Posts
on the thread issue i would re -tap the hole so that you will have nice new threads. You could then just get a new larger drain plug to fit the new hole.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Hello correa66,
Good luck in college. Do your best - it is important.

As for the car. - - The "tank" is called an oil pan just so you know.
You may be able to re-thread as advised. It is not strictly necessary to replace the whole oil pan, the threads can, sometimes, be repaired and a new drain plug installed. There is also a rubber plug that you can get at any parts store. It comes with a tool that you can install and remove it with. It does not rely on threads so it can be used no matter how bad it is stripped out. Oil pan replacement is a last resort.

Do well in school. Print Dad

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen to my 66. Unfortunately I was.... and still am...on the other side of the world from my car. It's in N.Z and I'm living in Canada. Thankfully my dad discovered the problem and fix it. He removed the oil pan, tapped out the hole, bought a new plug and it's now as good as new. It's a common problem according to a parts store owner, but this is only the second time I've heard of it :shrug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts