Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I noticed a fresh drop of oil on the garage floor yesterday after pulling the car out. I started looking around under the car with a mirror and flashlight and found this... sorry not the best picture but hopefully you can see the spot.

I'm attaching a better underside picture I found on the net for reference. I've also circled in red the spot where the leak is on my car. I've made an appointment with my dealer to have it checked out but I can't get there until Friday. Can anyone give me an idea of what this might be?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i hope they dont give you crap for the long tubes.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i hope they dont give you crap for the long tubes.
That second picture is not my car, it is for reference so you can get a better idea of where the oil is coming from since the first picture is a crappy phone shot.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
That second picture is not my car, it is for reference so you can get a better idea of where the oil is coming from since the first picture is a crappy phone shot.
ah ok. I changed the oil on my car yesterday and checked for leaks and everything was dry :worship
i dont want to take my boltons out for a dealer visit. good luck!

·
Registered
646 Posts
If it's dripping onto the ground, they won't give you any trouble about fixing it. I'd guess rear main or oil pan.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys! I'll let you know what happens. Unfortunately, I can't get to the dealership until Friday because of work.

F

·
0 Posts
Hey guys, I noticed a fresh drop of oil on the garage floor yesterday after pulling the car out. I started looking around under the car with a mirror and flashlight and found this... sorry not the best picture but hopefully you can see the spot.

I'm attaching a better underside picture I found on the net for reference. I've also circled in red the spot where the leak is on my car. I've made an appointment with my dealer to have it checked out but I can't get there until Friday. Can anyone give me an idea of what this might be?
Hey yellowrubiu,

I agree with you bringing your vehicle in to your dealership and get this diagnosed. Also, please message me with your contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealer so that I can escalate this for you.

Deysha

·
Registered
174 Posts
Does it seem to be transmission fluid or engine oil? Is the factory transmission fluid colored on the MT82s?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey yellowrubiu,

I agree with you bringing your vehicle in to your dealership and get this diagnosed. Also, please message me with your contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealer so that I can escalate this for you.

Deysha
Will do. Thank you.

Does it seem to be transmission fluid or engine oil? Is the factory transmission fluid colored on the MT82s?
Engine oil.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had the same thing with my car and only noticed it cuz it was sitting in my driveway over the winter and i saw the stain of oil on the ground.

Brought it to my local mechanic and it was a quart low. Have been keeping an eye on it since and havent gotten any more leaks.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I brought my car to the dealer this morning and had to leave it there and they will keep it over the weekend. I was told that it is leaking oil between the transmission and engine so they have to drop the transmission to see what it is and possibly order whatever part is needed to fix it. Not a happy camper right now and this certainly puts a damper on my father's day weekend, sucks for me. Oh well, I guess it is going to be a really looooonnng weekend for me.

·
Registered
160 Posts
So I brought my car to the dealer this morning and had to leave it there and they will keep it over the weekend. I was told that it is leaking oil between the transmission and engine so they have to drop the transmission to see what it is and possibly order whatever part is needed to fix it. Not a happy camper right now and this certainly puts a damper on my father's day weekend, sucks for me. Oh well, I guess it is going to be a really looooonnng weekend for me.
I wonder if this is the same problem that has caused the Quality Hold in Flat Rock? My rep from Ford CRC told me that they were checking for leaking transmissions.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I wonder if this is the same problem that has caused the Quality Hold in Flat Rock? My rep from Ford CRC told me that they were checking for leaking transmissions.
I doubt it, this does not appear to be a widespread issue. The OP's truck is a 2012, and we are well into the 2012 model year trucks.

But anything's possible I guess. :winks

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I went to pick up the car today after getting a call from the service department to tell me that it was ready. They had to drop the transmission and replace the main seal to take care of the leak.

Unfortunately, when I got in the car to head out I noticed the clutch pedal had very little travel before hitting the floor. It looks like something didn't get put back together correctly and whoever test drove it didn't quite notice this or maybe doesn't drive a stick often enough to notice - don't know, just giving them the benefit of the doubt here because to me it didn't feel right the second I stepped on it.

I'll have to try again tomorrow to see what happens. So more to come.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So my car is finally home. The rear main seal was replaced and all the work was covered under warranty.

The notes for the work done to resolve this state:

"...verified concern with vehicle installed dye into engine to locate leak removed transmission out replaced rear main seal and cover as per hotline..."

They also did my first oil change which was covered under warranty as a result of the work above.

I jacked up the car and crawled under there when I got home after putting a few miles on it and everything is squeaky clean. So time will tell if this resolved for good. As for my experience with the service department, well that is for another thread.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts