Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 mustang GT 4.6

so I got a missfire on my 8 cylinder pulled my codes. figured I burnt out a spark plug or somthing along that line, decided I was going to install my frpp cams I have had in the house for a month at the same time.

when I pulled my plugs I found oil coated on it here's some pictures. quick list of what I have done to my car.

bbk long tube
no cats
roadrunner muffs
diablo tuner
had check eng lights do to no o2 sensors so I have been running rich for about 5k now.
installing frpp hot rod cams

could this carbon build up caused from running rich or could it be somthing worse?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
i may be corrected on this, but the oil you see on the extended non threaded part of the plug is normal for this design. The tip location which is the bussiness end of the plug looks pretty good to me. perhaps a little lean if anything.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Add

Just a thought a Catch Can would not hurt. The plugs as stated above at the electrode look ok. I replaced mine with the Brisk at the same time as the CMDP's and Cams and Catch Can.

T Wayne in Iraq

·
Registered
298 Posts
Those plugs look quite normal. That is just carbon build-up. No need to worry.

·
Registered
398 Posts
They look too wet for me to say they're normal. When you did your cams did you replace the valve seals? I'd recommend putting new valve seals in along with a catch can.

I just did my seals over the winter and it wasn't too bad a job. Just make sure you put each cylinder just before TDC in case a valve drops down it won't fall so far that you'll have to take a head off.

G

·
had check eng lights do to no o2 sensors so I have been running rich for about 5k now.

You said it yourself...if the chamber filled with the air/fuel mixture and you shut the engine down before that cylinder fired it is going to come out wet looking. Add to the fact you say you are already running rich.

Before you go pulling things apart and if you do suspect vlave seals, take a look at the exhaust at start up. You will have a good plume of blue smoke. Take it one step further and pull a header. You should be able to see oil collecting on the back side of the valve.

I think you are fine:bigthumbsup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts