Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ticking sound so am going to attempt to adjust my valves. I show good oil pressure on guage but how do you know how much oil should be pumped up to the valves? I think that just because the oil pressure guage shows good I can still have a problem with circulation is true? Should i be able to see oil flowing around all the valves or what?
thx! Jason

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just went through this. In my case I ended up having a stuck lifter.
With the valve covers off oil should spurt up, but there won't be any "oil pressure", per se. Everything will be covered with oil and drain back down. You could certainly have a circulation issue if no oil is present. If you chose to adjust your valves with the engine running, it will make an unholy mess.
I used the following method to adjust my valves.
Kelly hotrod - hydraulic valve adjustment procedure

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Hello jasondred,
I would like to say to Blastfurnace - nice to see you sharing your
knowledge on the forum. This is what makes this a GREAT place.

jason - -just to clear things up a bit - -with the motor running you should
see oil run down the center of the rocker arms on all rockers. Do NOT look
fpr a huge stream but a steady little flow.

Often you can tell the condition of the circulation by looking at the
condition of the top of the head and the return holes in the lower corner of the heads.
What I mean is if the top of the head is caked and cruddy - -you could have issues.
If you take the valve covers off - -make certain to NOT drop any gasket material
in the head. Also look at the lower corners and you will see larger holes where the oil returns to the oil pan. Make sure the hole is open and clear.

TIP - -see if you can find a set or single valve cover at a flee market.
Not sure what motor you have but if it is a 289 - -get a set of used valve covers,
cut the top off - - -used to adjust the rockers without all the oil going over the exhaust.

So you cut the top of the valve cover off - -remove original valve cover - replace with you new (cut cover). You do NOT have to use sealant on the cut off valve covers. You just want them to keep the oil in the head.

Let us know if you need more help

Print DAD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts