Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new pony has the interior upgrade package and I have the oil pressure gauge. I noticed that it is always not in the middle and it is a little to the right of the midpoint. Is this a normal reading?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I'd guess so... there is were mine is and where it is in most cars...??

·
Registered
260 Posts
PonyPride said:
My new pony has the interior upgrade package and I have the oil pressure gauge. I noticed that it is always not in the middle and it is a little to the right of the midpoint. Is this a normal reading?
Yup. Just like mine.

·
Registered
100 Posts
remember that the oil pressure gauge is just a 'dumb' gauge--it only indicates pressure, not how much pressure there actually is (if it did, you'd see it bounce up and down depending on engine temperature and RPM's)

·
Registered
260 Posts
karazuba said:
remember that the oil pressure gauge is just a 'dumb' gauge--it only indicates pressure, not how much pressure there actually is (if it did, you'd see it bounce up and down depending on engine temperature and RPM's)
This seems questionable since another forum member claims to have caught a problem with an oil change (using the wrong type of oil) by noticing the lower pressure reading on the gauge after picking up the car. This was brought up in a similar topic a couple months back.

There is a possibility that the gauge is "slow" or electronically buffered somewhat to make it less sensitive to sudden small changes (note how slow it comes up when starting, for instance). The oil pressure gauge in my Chevy truck, which is also a real gauge, showed the same pressure at idle and at RPM for it's first 80K miles or so. Consistent oil pressure has always been an indicator, to me, of a nice tight new engine.

Years ago I built a hi-perf small block (302) with a Manley Hi-Volume pump and was pushing outrageous oil pressure (enough to blow the stock oil pressure gauge in my old Mustang off the scale, and to also make a blown rear cam seal a real bad problem for me a couple weeks later). In situations like that, I'd expect to see variance at idle and high RPM, but I think with this motor we're talking more in the range of 40psi aren't we? Should be able to hold that much pressure at idle in a new motor I'd think.

I could be wrong tho........Is there any detailed info that supports what you are saying, where did you get this info?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a 1999 Expedition and a 2003 Ranger that both have the 'Idiot' oil pressure gauge. This is not really a 'Guage' that shows the actual pressure but an indicator that the pressure is over a predetermined threshold. The sender unit is just a switch. This 'Guage' is no better than an idiot light. I am suprised that there has not been a class action suit against Ford for false advertising.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts