Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok at work so ill do the best i can with the time i have...installed autometer oil and water gauges on my 89 stang started it up to make sure they worked and the oil pressure gauge was at 50 psi...shut the car off...cupple days later i was driving and everything seemed normal...i downshifted into 1st and i heard a loud chirp noise and i looked at my gauges and the oil was at 15 psi...not saying that it dropped after it made that noise its just that was when i noticed it.... pulled over looked under the car for leaks then i added another quart of oil....no pressure change at all...when at about 4000 rpms the pressure goes back up to 50 but then dropps back down when de-accelerating...just changed the oil in it cupple days before and added 4 quarts back into it...just got the car bout a month ago....and havent driven it much until the other day...no water temp change after that happend or the car operating differently than it did before...what the hell is wrong??? any info greatly appreciated...thanks

·
Registered
254 Posts
is the autometer mechanical or electrical? if mechanical are you using the cheap nylon tube or did you buy the braided stainless steel hose? i would check with a separate guage to eliminate whether or not the new autometer guage is correct. one can be bought for a couple dollars at any parts store, and hook up directly to block where the sending unit hook up is. will eliminate the guage.......or possible you spun a bearing and too much oil is getting by on one of the journals at low rpm, and isnt noticable at higher rpm's. did you also say you only add 4 quarts of oil???

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they are electrical gauges and i really dont think they are bad because like i said it was at 50 psi for a while then dropped down after running it for a while.and yes i only added 4 quarts of oil (that is how much came out) after i checked it several times it said it was full...i thought this was odd also.any other ideas?? is there any way to tell for sure if i did spin a bering?? and if so is it hard to change??i will check on the gauge and let ya know in a cupple days on that.thanks a lot.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Electrical guage senders use the threads as a ground. If you used sealer, and that includes silicone tape, it might have increased the resistence and would show a loss in pressure.

Also, check and clean all the ground wires in the engine compartment.

Did you read 50PSI at idle? That's WAY too much for your motor at idle. 15PSI is OK for a hot idle and should gain about 10PSI per 1K RPM . At redline you might see 50PSI.

BTW, a 5.0 w/filter will hold close to 5 quarts, NEVER only put in what you took out. Use the dip stick? :?:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes i did use the dipstick and it said it was full...well if 50 psi is too much at idle then that must of been the pressure at cold temputure then it dropped when it got hot...it gets to about 50 psi at red line like you said.sorry just kinda scared me when i looked and saw it was that low.im only 17 and dont know that much about cars...my brother does but i didnt feel like asking him lol...so you think that 50 at cold oil temp is ok and it drops down to 15 at hot oil temp is ok?? do you think that is what could of happend??

·
Registered
118 Posts
did you start the engine before you checked the dipstick? if not you got an inacurate reading because there was no oil was in the filter. as already stated, 5 quarts with a new filter.

·
Registered
215 Posts
At one point Fprd used the worng dipstick in the Mustang 5.0, there is a service post on it somewhere, I will look later. Anyway, mine has the same thing, when I was down due to my surgery I had mine changed at a shop and they asked me why the dipstick was showing over full when they only put in 5qts.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes i took out 4 quarts and i was like wow that was bout a quart low...then i put in another 4 quarts and started it up and checked it and it actually said it was a little bit over full...and i was like...ok????...and yea thanks for looking for that post man

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.