Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I just had my motor rebuilt (3000 miles on it now) and have a question on the oil pressure. I am running 10w-30 and it the pressure is dropping to around 20 to 30 lbs at idle when warm. Would switching to 10W-40 resolve this and should a freshly rebuilt engine be doing this? How accurate is the stock sending unit?

Thanks in advance

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
without knowing your bearing clearences, 20-30 warm is ok. 10w-40 will raise it a little. and get a mechanical gauge to be sure. do not trust factory gauge and sending unit. :bigthumbsup p.s. go back to 10w-30 in winter, gets pretty cold there!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am fearing when the machine shop put in the new bearings the clearances are to great causing the pressure to drop when warm. I am unsure of the longterm affects of this even if the bearings are still getting lubricated?

Yep I will use 10w-30 in the colder months. To bad I can't drive it all year round but 5.0's aren't very good in snow, haha

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help.

I did some research on gauges and best places to mount them. Best to get an accurate reading in the first place.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Like they said, it's normal for it to come down at idle, especially thin oil like 10W30. If it really concerns you, go up to 10W40.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Eagle! I was hoping to get your input as well.

R

·
0 Posts
Your oil pressure is just fine.

with regard to gauges go with automenter & be sure to use steel braid lines is you go with mechanical gauges.....

mounting is strictly a place of personal preference.....

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
For piece of mind you could do a cylinder leakdown test to see if the rings seated correctly, I wouldn't say 20psi is FINE for a freshly built 306, it's acceptable but 40psi is what I'd like to see as well! throw Mobil 1 15W50 in there during the summer! But this could be something as simple as a bad factory gauge, like Reggie said throw in an autometer with braided line, DON'T use the plastic tubing the gauge comes with! In my 89 I had it mounted next to the headlight switch on the far left of the dash!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, where do you get the braided line at. I have been checking all over for the best deal but do you guys have any recommendations?

R

·
0 Posts
The reply's I could post up about this. But this Forum has higher standards, and would not be Work or User friendly.:D
I am glad to see you have exercised restraint out of respect to the forum.......:gringreen

Thanks guys, where do you get the braided line at. I have been checking all over for the best deal but do you guys have any recommendations?
jegs and/or summit......

http://www.jegs.com/c/Gauges-Tachs_Gauge-Installation-Components/10333/10002/-1

Most local speed shops usually will have what you need in stock......

R

·
0 Posts
The reply's I could post up about this. But this Forum has higher standards, and would not be Work or User friendly.:D
I am glad to see you have exercised restraint out of respect to the forum.......:gringreen

jegs and/or summit......

Gauge Accessories

Most local speed shops usually will have what you need in stock......

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I saw this website that doesn't look so bad. www.paragonperformance.com

Thanks for the link, I totally just missed the braided lines when I checked jegs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.