Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1990 mustang has some low oil pressure. a couple days ago my mustang was low on gas and started sputtering. i thought it was from gas. then i looked at my oil pressure gauge (aftermarket mechanical) and it was reading 10 or 11 at idle. i got gas, went home and popped the hood. somehow my spark plug wire came off... wtf? anyways i plugged that back in and the sputtering was gone. started car, still low oil pressure. today i did a oil change and used 10w30. started the car and it all looked good. ran in the 30-50's then once the car got hot bout 190-200 the oil pressure went down to 11 at idle in drive. and about 20 in park. what could be a reason for this? my timing? my car is idling at about 7-800 in drive, and about 900 ish in park. what could be the problem? or is this just normal

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also when im driving at a temp of 200 at 50mph in overdrive at 1200 rpms, the oil pressure is at about 20-21.

·
Registered
511 Posts
how old is your oil pump/pickup? If you trust your gauge as being accurate then the pump/pickup are the two things i would consider replacing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not sure how old. but if it is that, how expensive and hard is it to replace?

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
sounds normal for 124xxx miles. with the big flucuation in pressure, the cam bearings are probably worn pretty good. just plan on a rebuild in the near future. also when you change the oil next time go a little heavier, that will help some. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
511 Posts
not sure how old. but if it is that, how expensive and hard is it to replace?
its pretty cheap to replace, the labor is a pain in the ass though. it can be done with the motor still in the car but it would be much easier to pull it. and if you already have the motor out you might as well rebuild it:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts