Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys was sitting in traffic this morning when I noticed my oil pressure gauge fluctuating between the o and m. If I sit on a hill with the engine facing down the gauge will sit right at the m once the engine is revved or under load it shoots right back up to o.

Normally the gauge will read right above the R

Here is a video

YouTube - VID 00003 20110119 0932

also I'm running 10w 30

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I would confirm that the gauge is correct first. That doesnt look too concerning to me since the pressure looks stable other than the twitch. Is that an electronic type? I think it is, it might just be freakin out. But try to test with a full mechanical gauge and see what it does.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would confirm that the gauge is correct first. That doesnt look too concerning to me since the pressure looks stable other than the twitch. Is that an electronic type? I think it is, it might just be freakin out. But try to test with a full mechanical gauge and see what it does.
OK Ill test with the Mechanical my only concern was when the car sits on a hill the gauge will drop to the m and stay there, once revved it will shoot back up to the o. This will only happen once the oil is warmed up, if the engine is below operating temp it will stay rock solid at the o

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Maybe because the pressure is higher when cold and is above that erratic area.

Maybe on the hill the oil pump is struggling, if you look at how the oil pump works, it shouldnt pump that erratic, but it could I suppose, I dont know. But it looks like a sensor issue.

Its just what I would do to eliminate a possible bad sensor/gauge.. and make sure that the oil is topped off and it isnt starving for oil on the hill.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i checked the oil its at full, It seems to go along with the idle. Maybe the sender unit is do for a replacement because I don't think the oil pressure would fluctuate like that

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.