Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone!! I know there have been numerous posts on this subject, but found no conclusive answers.

Questions:

What type of oil do the 2006 Mustang GT come with?

When should i do my first oil change and with what oil? Should i change my oil filter as well?

Thanks in advance guys!!!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have changed the oil in my 4.6L V8. I use Ford's Motorcraft oil and filter. My question is, how much oil has everyone been putting in to it. I put in 6L (roughly 6 quarts) and it still isn't full. I find the dipstick hard to get an accurate reading.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
The answer is in the manual, 5K for normal use. Break in not required.
V8-5W20 Oil V6-5W30
6 Quarts V-8, 5 V-6
Level should be between the two holes in the dipstick.

·
Registered
758 Posts
pcfrisch said:
The answer is in the manual, 5K for normal use. Break in not required.
V8-5W20 Oil V6-5W30
6 Quarts V-8, 5 V-6
Level should be between the two holes in the dipstick.
V-6 takes 5W-20 even tho it has a 5W-30 cap on it. Ford was cheap and didnt put the correct 5W-20 labeled caps on the 6. Per manual and dealer.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Hoodlum said:
V-6 takes 5W-20 even tho it has a 5W-30 cap on it. Ford was cheap and didnt put the correct 5W-20 labeled caps on the 6. Per manual and dealer.
That is strange, that is what it says in my 2006 manual, You would think they would have fixed it by then.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'll go verify when i get a second tonight, but thats what gets put in mine full synthetic 5w20 and I brought it up to the dealer and thats what he had told me. So know u got me all worried:tongue but ill go check my manual when i get a second.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hoodlum said:
I'll go verify when i get a second tonight, but thats what gets put in mine full synthetic 5w20 and I brought it up to the dealer and thats what he had told me. So know u got me all worried:tongue but ill go check my manual when i get a second.
Awright, now you got ME freaking out...I've put 30 weight in my Dix twice now, once at 1100 and then full syn at 2500. What kind of damage/problems are we talking about here, if it really is supposed to take 20 weight instead?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Ok, first I would like to appologize for scaring anyone who read my previous statements as I was wrong and I figured out why I was so confused. I got mixed up with what the book states and with what the dealer invoices were stating for full synthetic oil. The book is correct and so are the oil caps on the V6 but when I get it done at the dealer and I ask for full synthetic their system has it writing on the invoice 5w20 instead of the actual 5w30 full synthetic that they are really putting in there. Sorry for the confustion but maybe I'll be able to find 5w30 quakerstate instead of the damn 5w20 I looked all over town [email protected]$% :sterb::sterb::sterb::sterb:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hoodlum said:
Ok, first I would like to appologize for scaring anyone who read my previous statements as I was wrong and I figured out why I was so confused. I got mixed up with what the book states and with what the dealer invoices were stating for full synthetic oil. The book is correct and so are the oil caps on the V6 but when I get it done at the dealer and I ask for full synthetic their system has it writing on the invoice 5w20 instead of the actual 5w30 full synthetic that they are really putting in there. Sorry for the confustion but maybe I'll be able to find 5w30 quakerstate instead of the damn 5w20 I looked all over town [email protected]$% :sterb::sterb::sterb::sterb:
Sweet relief! Thanks for clearing this up...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Don't freak out too much about oil weights. You probably won't do any damage if you put in the wrong weight. Typically the lower weight oils yield a little better fuel economy which is why today's vehicles tend to use lower weights.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I used Mobil 1 5W20 synthetic. Changed at 1000 miles and 3000 thereafter.

Also I use a Mobil 1 Oil filter. Walmart has the Mobil 1 5W20, but I have to go to Autozone for the filter.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
And please replace your oil filter after each oil change. I cannot stress that enough!

·
Registered
9 Posts
zregime said:
Awright, now you got ME freaking out...I've put 30 weight in my Dix twice now, once at 1100 and then full syn at 2500. What kind of damage/problems are we talking about here, if it really is supposed to take 20 weight instead?
Relax man, you sure didn't cause any problems putting in 30 weight. If it were mine, I'd never put 20 weight in it, that's just Ford trying to squeeze a little more mpg out of it. 30 weight will protect better.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Fernando said:
Relax man, you sure didn't cause any problems putting in 30 weight. If it were mine, I'd never put 20 weight in it, that's just Ford trying to squeeze a little more mpg out of it. 30 weight will protect better.
This has me wondering as well since I can not get 5W-20 here. All I can get is 5w-30, but I'm also thinking that it won't make that much of a difference. Of course, I can always get it off base and pay about $25 "PER QUART". Can you believe it??? :eyebulge:

·
Registered
76 Posts
myromac87 said:
Hi, everyone!! I know there have been numerous posts on this subject, but found no conclusive answers.

Questions:

What type of oil do the 2006 Mustang GT come with?

When should i do my first oil change and with what oil? Should i change my oil filter as well?

Thanks in advance guys!!!!!
This is the wrong place to come to for a conclusive answer. Stick with the owner's manual and you will be fine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
owners manual, owners smanual. I wouldn't EVER put a light weight oil in my car. You're asking for more trouble down the road. Remember when the oil industry said to change your oil every 2000 miles? pssst, it's to get you to buy more oil!
You can put whatever you want in your engine, if FORD tells you that you HAVE to use 5w20 in your engine, then they have to provide the oil free of charge. It's called Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts