Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 gt. I was out of town for a while so when I came back I did a tune up on the car. Chnaged wires spark plugs. Fuel filter . U know the usual. And when I started it it didnt sound good. It started up fine but its making a hissing sound like air leaking and also sounds like a metal grinding. Not so sure if it is grinding but it sounds like it. Its also making loke a stalling noise as if it wants to choke. . Its not misfiring I checled the firing order not backfiring. When I look at the pulleys it seems to roll fine then when it wants to choke the pulleys seem to get stuck.
No vac hose are bad.
Press accel and it response fast then it starts to want to choke.
Can a bad oil pump do this?
I want to check oil pressure just to male sure but the cars sounds bad at idle im not sure if I want to risk it.
Anyonw had this preoblem or any suggestions?
I would appreciate.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
946 Posts
You said it hadn't been run in a while, the lifters are going to be louder for the first few seconds or even couple of minutes. Its possible your tps or egr got stuck shut from rust inside of it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
The oil pump is well-lubricated and rarely fails. Most likely you have an accessory frozen up.

I put my '85 5.0 TBird up for the winter one time and that's exactly what happened.

Take the serpentine belt off and make sure everything turns freely but with some resistance: alternator, AC compressor, power steering pump, water pump, idler, and tensioner. Inspect the belt and each pulley for wear.

If everything is OK then look deeper. Change the oil. Make sure it comes out of the pan freely without any debris or water. You probably have two drains, and if so, open both. After fully drained stick a finger in each and feel around the bottom of the pan for grit or metal shavings.

You can remove the distributor and then test the oil pump. Prime the engine using an inexpensive oil pump shaft, an inexpensive mechanical oil pressure gauge, and an electric drill. Remove your OE gauge and install the mechanical within sight of the distributor. Use a corded drill because the oil pump takes a lot or torque to turn at speed. Remember the shaft turns counter-clockwise. 500 rpm on the drill means 1000 engine rpm, so you should get at least 20 psi.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Remove your dis and check ur oil pump

1 - 4 of 4 Posts