Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just found the reason my 351w wouldn't turn over after i installed the pistons it was one of the thin oil control rings on the #7 cylinder. A dimple in the spring compressor let it poke out slighty and it bent up and slid against the cylinder wall. It scored the wall but it wasn't a deep gouge or anything more of a series of 3 wavy streaks. Their about a 1/4 inch wide and spaced a 1/4 inch apart. It felt slightly wavy at first but it smoothed out with a little buffing from a sos pad soaked with wd40. I can't really feel it now if I press my finger down real hard I think I can just barely feel a wavy pattern as I go across the streaks.

I'll try to get a pic up today or tomorrow but on it's face does it sound like I have a major problem with these streaks? The block was just bored out to .060 so it'd be trash if I have a problem here. And if that turns out to be the case I'll probably go totally freakin insane:eyebulge:. I'll be foaming out the mouth while tearing peoples arms off and flailing around like a chimp who had a dozen condoms full off cocaine burst in it's stomach:taz:. Any thought's about the streaks would be greatly appreciated lives may be on the line here:eyebulge:

·
Registered
511 Posts
it depends on how deep they are. personally i would re hone that cylinder, as long as those grooves arent too deep.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it depends on how deep they are. personally i would re hone that cylinder, as long as those grooves arent too deep.
I'll go by oreilly's tomorrow and get a honing attatchment for my drill the block was honed at the machine shop. I just went and scrubbed a little more with a sos pad and I can't feel it at all now. I can see the 1/4 wide streaks but I can't feel them so shouldn't that indicate their not too deep? If after I hone it I can still see the streaks but I can't feel them am I screwed? I put a compression ring in the cylinder and evenly slid it down and it didn't catch or seize up even slightly as I slid it down the cylinder. If this would just result in a very slight loss in power than no prob but if this a big deal I'm screwed.

·
Registered
540 Posts
60 over on a stock windsor is border line forsure. I never go past 40, but it is stroked w/ spray

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
60 over on a stock windsor is border line forsure. I never go past 40, but it is stroked w/ spray
Yeah this will be a pretty mush stock 351w in my 95 gt. Now the 408w I'm gonna build for my 84 lx hatchback will be a different story:cooldude:. And I got a 3 row radiator for my 95 so I figure it should be ok.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I shine a light down the cylinder I can see the cross-hatch pattern through most of the way down the streaks. I thought I heard that if you can see the cross-hatching through the streak you were ok. Does that sound right? I'm still gonna spin a honing tool through it tomorrow.

·
Registered
511 Posts
if you can still see the cross hatching then it should be ok, but you would be smart to hone it anyways.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you can still see the cross hatching then it should be ok, but you would be smart to hone it anyways.
Definetly man I totally agree I don't want my rings to have a hard time breaking in. Thanks for the help man I feel better now.

·
Registered
540 Posts
You've got the right idea.:bigthumbsup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts