Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the track last night and the car started smoking. Initially, I was very concerned . . because it was a lot of smoke. Upon examination, I found oil on the outside of the engine . . it had sprayed(?) from somewhere and was visible on the outside of the valve cover, the intake manifold, and other places in the engine compartment. The smoke was from the oil running down on the exhaust manifold.

The only thing I can think of is that, somehow, the oil sprayed out of my dipstick tube. I can't find anywhere that it is leaking, and there isn't any discernable loss in power/performace. Oil pressure is fine and there are no worrisome noises. All of the oil is on the dipstick side of the engine.

Anybody have any idea what this could be?

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Clogged pcv valve is where I would start. It sounds like your motor is building too much internal pressure and the dipstick was the first place it found an exit. I'd replace the pcv valve before your gaskets become the next target.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, GhostDog. I'll check it out today. I'm hoping it's something simple like that and not a gasket. It's hard to determine the direction of the spray. And, it doesn't do it under normal driving conditions . . . just under boost at the track.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There is also a little screen under the pcv valve on the 94-95's which is not needed and will add ventalition. You can also put valve cover breathers on. Make sure your vaccum lines are connected to your blow off valve on the charger system.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Looks like I'm gonna go with an external breather. Hopefully that'll solve it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.