Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
89 notch, clean stock car, T5, no major mods except suspension and exhaust.
165K kilometers, very clean daily driver.

The motor has leaked oil for some time. Last winter I replaced the rear crank seal, it continued to leak.
I think the oil pan leaks too. No loose bolts.
I now think that I have some oil misting out of the dipstick fill tube, becasue the ignition wires are around it and they have oil spray stains on them...

The car runs great, no check engine, pulls very stong, quiet, etc...

What causes crankcase pressure? Is there a PCV that plugs up over time? Anything else?

Thanks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
For sure check the PCV system as they can plug up over time. However, depending on the cars history you may be comming up against enough blow-by the PCV can no longer handle it all. On my 89 there is also a filter under the valve... be sure to check replace it.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Agreed. Replace the PCV valve and screen.

You could also perform a leak down test on the engine. You can get a gauge set for under $100. Just screw the fitting in each spark plug hole, hook up a air compressor, and turn the regulator up to 100 PSI and read the leak down.

If you have excessive leak down (more than 10-15%) you can use a stethoscope to listen to the throttle body, exhaust, oil fill cap, an radiator cap for an air leaking sound.This will give you an idea of what kind of shape your engine is in.

If you hear air getting into the intake, you have an intake valve not sealing, exhaust means exhaust valve not sealing, radiator means cracked head, block, or blown head gasket, and oil cap usually means bad rings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts