Ford Mustang Forum banner
61 - 80 of 88 Posts
17,300 miles, Ford 5w20 Synthetic Blend oil, Ford FL820 filter.

Oil changed when computer prompts, approx every 5000-miles.

Engine tick started around 8,000 miles, sound just like the video someone posted several posts back.

Sound level is about as loud as dropping a penny from 3-4 feet on concrete.

All I hear is the injectors and I think that's what a lot of people are calling their tic.
I think you guys are exactly right. I'll be willing to bet that most of the people that are screaming about ticks, are actually hearing the sewing machine sounds of the injectors. 98% of those people have probably never owned a mustang and have no idea that this is what they sound like. My 09 GT500 ticked so loud from the injectors, I could hear it night and day when I was sitting next to a curb at idle. Its the nature of the beast. Im not saying that nobody has a legitimate head tick, but once that bandwagon leaves the platform, then tons of people jump on and its runs out of control. Its injector tick/

I think you guys are exactly right.
Lots of cars have injector tick. My 2008 EVO X had louder injector tick than the Coyote. The videos people have made sound nothing like injector tick and you would have to be a car complete car noob to confuse the two. I'm sure there maybe one or two people that wouldn't know any better but it's pretty ignorant to assume that the majority of posters here are idiots that can't tell simple injector tick from engine knock. Almost as bad as people telling the people with transmission problems that it's because they don't know how to drive a manual.:frustrated:

I think you guys are exactly right. I'll be willing to bet that most of the people that are screaming about ticks, are actually hearing the sewing machine sounds of the injectors. 98% of those people have probably never owned a mustang and have no idea that this is what they sound like. My 09 GT500 ticked so loud from the injectors, I could hear it night and day when I was sitting next to a curb at idle. Its the nature of the beast. Im not saying that nobody has a legitimate head tick, but once that bandwagon leaves the platform, then tons of people jump on and its runs out of control. Its injector tick/
Have you even listened to the video I posted? Does that sound like injectors to you?

Now quit cluttering up this thread with ignorant posts assuming that "98%" of the noise is injectors.

Sent from my DROID2 Global using tapa-whatzit-thing

Update...my car now has Motorcraft 5W-20 sythetic blend and a Motorcraft filter (as changed out by the dealer...they drained my Mobile 1) and it is still ticking and still at the dealership. Tick is still audible at a loud level.

Before criticizing, how about reading the entire thread to see if your argument has already been made. Post #34, please.

And, as Sky Render mentioned, did you bother to listen to the "ignitor" tick video? If you think that's injectors, you need your head examined.

Discussion starter · #68 ·
Again, this thread is not for debate. Just post your tick loudness and oil type.

You can dazzle us with your brilliance and argue with each other on a different thread.

Discussion starter · #71 ·
When car was new had no tick.
I changed my oil at 3k with pennzoil platinum 5w30,still have
no tick at 7k.

Tick

My tick started at the 1st oil change and is only louder after the 2nd oil change. Both changes used an FL500 filter and 5W20 QSPX Ford oil.
Tick sounds just like jweems video. I currently have about 11500 miles on it.

1st dealer said, at Ford hotline's prompting, that the noise is a normal characteristic for this engine. No repairs attempted.
2nd dealer replaced the belt tensioner, noise was still there when I came back to pick it up. They kept it and this time swapped out a pulley and told me it was fixed. Went by yesterday to pick it up and the noise is still there. Service manager told me that Ford considers this normal for this engine. Going to get the 3rd repair attempt out of the way soon.

Did not have tick before I did 1st change at 2500 kms With Royal Purple. Still do not have tick and am about to change oil again at 7500 kms. The royal Purple did smooth things out a bit though. My motor sounds like my 07 GT and my 09 Challenger RT.

You guys are all crazy. Just kiddin. You are right I didnt listen to the video. Now that I did its totally not the injectors. But I can tell you that my base GT I had that was made in 12/10 did this same thing when cold. And when it heated up after a few miles it went away.

Now, my new 11 GT/CS that was made in 7/10 did NOT do this from the dealership floor......................................UNTIL the TSB for the ac bouncing idle/hard to start reflash was done. Now it does this too when cold and goes away. Its appears it is tied to the TIVCT somehow, and that the TSB tune from ford also messed with the TIVCT timing somehow.

I thought there was something wrong with my first GT. But when I went to the new GT and it didnt have it I no longer cared. Then since I had that TSB done to the new GT with an older build date and now it DOES do it I am compelled to think its normal. Keep in mind that my older GT would have had that newer ford TSB tune on it from the factory because it was made way outside of that TSB date which I think cut off at 8/2010. Hope this sheds some light on the subject.

I don't have the "tick" either, but apparently even if you don't hear the tick you have the tick. Make sense of that. I don't hear a bird noise going "Caoo kaaa!" either so my engine must be making that noise too.

If you google it you can find some videos of what the tick sounds like. Its bad. I feel for anybody who has it. I hope it doesn't happen to my car. Fingers are crossed.

Discussion starter · #77 ·
I don't have the "tick" either, but apparently even if you don't hear the tick you have the tick. Make sense of that. I don't hear a bird noise going "Caoo kaaa!" either so my engine must be making that noise too.

If you google it you can find some videos of what the tick sounds like. Its bad. I feel for anybody who has it. I hope it doesn't happen to my car. Fingers are crossed.
That is great, no tick at all. What oil are you using?

Does your tick go up and down with the rpm ?
Yes it does. It ticks inconsistently at idle at gets consistent while in gear and under load up to about 1800 RPM.

Jiggy, thanks for having an open mind about reconsidering.

However, the ignitor tick is something that only comes on when the car is hot -- the hotter, the better. If your symptoms are only when cold, it is something else.

There were many folks complaining about a cold engine "piston slap" sound. It is much worse when the ambient temp is low, so not too many have complained about that recently. We should start reading those complaints again in October/November. Although, some can even hear it when warm outside (before the motor warms up).

Gt Style -- I just realized I hijacked the thread again. Would it help if I threw out an oil brand? :D

Discussion starter · #80 ·
Gt Style -- I just realized I hijacked the thread again. Would it help if I threw out an oil brand? :D
Dont worry about it. I am giving up on even trying. It is obvious the members of this forum (including myself) have the focus of a teenage girl. Mod, can you please just rename this thread to, "My engine ticks" LOL.....

61 - 80 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.