Ford Mustang Forum banner
81 - 88 of 88 Posts
I am more than willing to try a synthetic blend next time I do an oil change, but that won't be for a couple months. (Unless someone wants to send me 8 quarts of synthetic-blend oil!) :kooky:

I had a technician at a Ford dealership tell me that he used a Purolator filter and Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 in his personal car and his tick all but went away.???
I didn't have the tick until I replaced the factory fill with Pennzoil Platinum 5-20 and a Puralator Pure One filter. Though it's intermittent, it's there more often than not.

As far as what's causing the tick, I'm with the OP. Here's what I wrote in the tick sticky at the top of the page...

nite said:
This IS a normal characteristic of the engine, when there's no mystery lube added (whatever it is they added to cidsamuth's engine).

Ford added the mystery to the first fill, knowing that no one would drive a brand new car off the lot if they heard that noise; not even if Ford assured them that it was normal.

That explains everything that I've read here, including the fact that some have had the tick since new (maybe some were missed, or just didn't respond to the lube the same as others) and then others only got the tick after their first oil change.

Solution: Live with it, or make Ford supply you with whatever that lube is (pretty sure it's not XL-17).
I'll add that I do hope a different brand or type of oil fixes it, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Also, I don't believe that all 5.0's will encounter this tick, but Ford added the mystery lube to hedge it's bets, as they knew that good percentage would have it.

With wind chills it can get down to -40C up here in the winter and the 0W grades provide better cold start protection at low temperatures. I'm only thinking of using it as a winter oil.
I used 0w20 Amsoil in my 07 GT for 4 years with no problems. The car ran like new when I traded it. It gets hot down here.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.