Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i been using 10-40 on my car for its oil changes.. i just noticed actually it says 5-20 on cap, so i will start using that now, cuz my oil change is within like 400miles. But i just wanted to know dosent that seem a little thin???
iwas thinking moble 1 full synthetic...

but i was just curious to the thickness of the oil

maybe i should go with 5-30?
my car has almost 40K (38K)

let me know
thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
Jr, I used Mobil 1 5-20 full synthetic 'till someone on here posted a link (wish I had saved it) from Amsoil or Royal Purple, I can't remember which. It broke down all the top full synthetic oils and blends from top to bottom. Of course, Amsoil or Royal Purple was at the top, with Castrol syntec the first or best (Walmart) brand listed. It beat the next one, which I don't recall now, by quite a bit. I'm sure any 5-20 syn. oil would be good, but the numbers form that comparison were lop sided enough to sell me on Castrol. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hi carguy

Read this article it might help you make your decission:

http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/engineoil_bible.html

I use Mobil1 full synthetic 5-30 but that's up here in Massachusetts.
You might want to go with the expensive stuff 5-40 (often used in Europe for Audi and other HP cars), or just go with a 10-40 full synthetic.

You know the conditions best, under which you drive your car.

Have fun cruisin'

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yo, you can use 0wt-30 if you want........the thicker your oil, the more HP you will be losing and/or power. AMS 0wt-30 is what I use........5wt-30 is good too. AMS oil will save your engine too......it's truely synthetic and is way better than Mobile 1.
BTW-The HP diff is minute between oils, but the overall protection and reliability is there with AMS oils.
TK

·
Registered
701 Posts
Totally agree with TK421DS. The AMS oil is (see tonns of tests) a very good oil. Unfortunately it is not free. :)

keep on cruisin'

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.