Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I pick up my new (new to me) car next weekend (Sat. a.m. flight to Chicago and drive back to Wash/DC over 2 days): 100% stock tripleblack 2001 GT convertible leather/automatic. It has 37k miles, newish BFG tires, stock gray Bullitts. Reason for switching from the 96 is to have something more sedate and civilized. Car needs to stay reasonably quiet and smooth riding. I already have the following parts to go on it: Mach I chin spoiler, 3-pc Mach I grille delete kit, black 8" antenna, Sylvania Silver Star h/lite bulbs, and my Eradispeed+1 rear rotor set.

A 37k 2001 stocker probably needs brake pads, maybe a battery for peace of mind, and a whole lot of cleaning once the trip is over. Suggestions, attached pics of parts or other's cars welcome. Remember goal is smooth & quiet but w/style.
What would you do?

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
Congrats on the new Mustang ! Auto trans , you know what that means 4.10`s , and 50 Series Delta Flow flowmaster exhaust , quieter then the 40`s !

And deep dish rims for the back ! that would look great !

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
If you want to keep it smooth riding, I wouldn't replace the springs at all, I would look into urethane bushings and UCA/LCA's though. As for keeping the exhaust quiet, keep the stock mufflers and just replace the h-pipe with a good catted one.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BlueStreak03 said:
If you want to keep it smooth riding, I wouldn't replace the springs at all, I would look into urethane bushings and UCA/LCA's though. As for keeping the exhaust quiet, keep the stock mufflers and just replace the h-pipe with a good catted one.
-- I was thinking the same thing about the exhaust/thanks.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Anything planned for bolt-ons as far as intakes, pulley's and stuff like that?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Bolt-ons

BlueStreak03 said:
Anything planned for bolt-ons as far as intakes, pulley's and stuff like that?
-- My initial focus will be to take of things it needs (brakes including going to the Baer front kit) and to get it cleaned up including the spoiler & grill delete. Have no current plans to modify motor besides the obligatory K&N but will think on that a bit. I do have my previous spare set of Steeda Ultralite II's mounted w/Yokohamas that would probably look good on a black car. May also have the stock Bullitts painted black. Would guess next step, if taken, would be to lower car a bit but not decided. Everyone's opinions & experiences helps/thanks. -- edit: guess I should think about some decent sub-frame connectors in here someplace/Jeff

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Take the black Bullits off the 96 and put what ever other rims on it to sell it. Black on black on black on black... I also agree on the catted mid pipe to keep it somewhat quiet. How about some Mach 1/ Bullit springs to bring it down a bit (3/4 on an inch I think). I think I've seen the whole kit with springs, and sway bars and stuff together. I also think those light bars are sweet, black of course.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
dollarbill said:
Take the black Bullits off the 96 and put what ever other rims on it to sell it. Black on black on black on black... I also agree on the catted mid pipe to keep it somewhat quiet. How about some Mach 1/ Bullit springs to bring it down a bit (3/4 on an inch I think). I think I've seen the whole kit with springs, and sway bars and stuff together. I also think those light bars are sweet, black of course.
Thought about wheel swap but don't want the deep-dish rears on the new car. Possible solution is to get 2 more 17x10's but NOT deep dish, then use my existing fronts from the 96 and the 315/35's on the new 10" wheels. IMO, the deep-dish wheels give a sort of 'hot-rod' look that I want to avoid. Attached pic is 17x10.5" rear, non-deep dish. New car does have newish tires already. Also, the 17x10 & 315/35 combo has to be considerably heavier than the 17x8 & 245/45 combo, increasing unsprung weight.
You're right: the black on black look is probably where I should head.
Agree on catted mid-pipe: who makes good quality catted H-PIPE, not X-pipe. Bassini? Magnaflow? Choosing an H-pipe to maintain, as much as possible, the stock GT sound which I like.
Heard that the Bullitt kit is a bit harsh; harsh bad. My shop (the owner) suggests Eibach Pro springs w/Bilstein H/Ds. I'm tempted to try the MRT spring/Tokico kit if anything.

Determined to have no light bar and would get rid of rear spoiler if can find right solution.
Focus w/this car is definately looks first.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
FR500's

Storkdork said:
Style? Maybe a 2" cowl hood and a Cobra R front bumper and some black FR500 rims. That would look sick.
-- I do like the FR500's, black of course, especially w/the Baer brakes.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
And sort of developing a taste for the 3-wing spinners (no, they don't spin) on the Bullitt wheels

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I've always liked those 3 point knockoffs on halibrands and bullits.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bluestreak

BlueStreak03 said:
-- curious about your recommendation to replace the UCA/LCA's - purpose? and, which bushings would you replace? Rack & ?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
SPOILERS? -- what spoilers, if any, use and/or cover the holes from the stock GT spoiler? I'd actually prefer no spoiler (like Bullitts) but obviously have a trunk lid that already has holes in it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Meatball

Nice car! :worship
Besides some decent wheels, I'd keep apearance close to stock.
Put the money into the motor - spoilers won't make your car go fast...
But that's only my oppinion.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
engineer76 said:
Nice car! :worship
Besides some decent wheels, I'd keep apearance close to stock.
Put the money into the motor - spoilers won't make your car go fast...
But that's only my oppinion.
--- I have a paid-for $25,000+ 500hp car now; reason for selling is noise, gas mileage, & too stiff. Probably do very little performance-wise to the new one. I get a whole lot of comments on my 96 now, and it's almost always when the car is sitting still and motor off so looks remain a significant issue w/the new one. Honestly, I'm looking forward to quiet & relatively smooth w/the new one.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
If you can't find a V6 trunk, have a body shop fill the holes with weld, then smooth and paint. What about the 18X9 Bullits (maybe chrome!) all the way around would look sick! If your going for looks 18s do look a little better than 17s IMO. I agree the chin spoiler is a must though. Another thing I really think looks good is side exhaust, it is kinda pricey though. If your looking to keep it quiet I would say get mid pipe or cat back, not both. I can see it... lowered...18 inch bullits... side exhaust...and black @ss tinted windows! Man it must suck to decide which stang to drive each morning. :laughlitt

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll look into having spoiler holes professionally filled or replacement trunk lid - like the no spoiler idea.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
The new ride, sitting in a snowy parking lot, near O'Hare Airport. The drive home to Washington, DC was reasonably painless

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Was the car exactly as you expected? Hope you have fun with the new mods!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.