Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided on some black bullitt wheels (18x9) for my black '06 GT (vert).

But now WHICH tires?

I live in NC, so rain is common, snow is NOT. I'd prefer all seasons since this is my daily driver.

I cant see to find a consensus on tire rack. My own personal experience is with the stock tires PZero (235/55/17). They seemed to work great, but im told the 255/45/18's will handle/wear totally differently.

Id like to spend around $200/ea or less if possible.

Help!!

·
Registered
13,191 Posts

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
There is a tradeoff between traction and wear rating (the higher the traction, the lower the wear rating, and the lower the life span you can expect).

I have had good luck with Michelin over the years, but they are usually pricey, but they also have their Riken brand name that they make which are good tires,and cost a lot less. The 255/45ZR18's from these guys run $131 each (plus shipping). These are summer tires, but with a good wet rating. This same source also has those Pirellis you mentioned, at $202:

https://www.tiresavings.com/tireShop.php?action=findCombined

·
Registered
259 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I'm beginning to hear more and more good things about Hankook Tires, the Ventus V4 ES, UHP All Season. Thinking of putting these on wifes GT Vert when due.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was also looking at BFGs, Super Sport A/S.

Interesting, a lot of the complaints for tires in this size is road noise.

This initially turned me off, but then I started thinking, with my flowmasters- I wonder if road noise would even be noticeable :)

S

·
0 Posts
I like the stock BFGs that came with the car (I don't know the model off hand, and I'm not at home to check).

Wet traction is good (or at least good enough for me), and after 27k (and regular rotations) they still have about 1/4" of tread above the wear strips.

·
Registered
16 Posts
:bigthumbsup[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]good call on the 18x9 all aroud so you can rotate. I went with wider out back 18x10 because I'm old school. (Fat out back) I got Nitto 555r and like them a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool...

I also decided I need to paint the ugly-as-sin calipers.

The guys from Discount tire offered to do it free if I supplied the paint- but thats seems difficult as Ive since read they need to dry 3 hours?

I assume he was offering to give them a quick spray when the wheels were all off...

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Decided on some black bullitt wheels (18x9) for my black '06 GT (vert).

But now WHICH tires?

I live in NC, so rain is common, snow is NOT. I'd prefer all seasons since this is my daily driver.

I cant see to find a consensus on tire rack. My own personal experience is with the stock tires PZero (235/55/17). They seemed to work great, but im told the 255/45/18's will handle/wear totally differently.

Id like to spend around $200/ea or less if possible.

Help!!

Eagle F1 all season, they have a 9 rating on wet and dry traction. They also have a rebate going on now.
Tire store manager on this site recommended them to me. I have noticed a huge difference when the pavement is wet over the OEM tires.
Goodyear Tires | Sport Performance Tires | Eagle F1 All Season

You really cant go wrong with these tires.
The rebate is 50 bucks, and if you go into a Goodyear/Just tires store and use a Goodyear credit card they will double the rebate, make it 100 bucks. Get 90 days same as cash, pay it off, close the account.
Most stores will price match, so get a quote say from a Discount tire, then shop a Goodyear store, then ask them to beat the price if they are higher.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
Michelin pilot sports are awesome...very quiet too, in tires you get what you pay for

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.