Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After running at the track today, I noticed a whining noise that was never there before which I think is coming from the rear. The tone stays the same with RPM and it only happens when I press the gas. I can press it very lightly and It starts once I let off it stops. I just backed the car out of the garage and notice gear oil on the floor, I don't know if its from the vent, or something is blown. Could this be a wheel bearing? I'm going to jack the car up to take a look. What do you guys think.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Check the vent first. Though foaming/overflow usually happens with taller gears. Hate to say it doesn't sound promising.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
That's a bad thing. Time to consider a rebuild/replacement.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well,

The car is in the air, the oil is leaking from the diff cover. I guess I didn't seal it good enough. That still doesn't tell me where the whining is coming from. I could not have lost that much oil to cause whining??

·
Registered
15 Posts
it may be the diff, my car was making a whining sound, drove it for a while than it finally let loose. the screw that holds the pin in the diff sheared off and destroyed the diff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.