Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay boys and girls, I got seduced and I went ahead and did it...I traded in my '06 Fusion AND my '05 Mustang GT vert for an '06 F-150 with a 5.4L 300HP V8...NOT!!!!

Alright, I really did get seduced by Ford's 0% financing, and I did really trade in my '06 Fusion for a beautiful F-150 Larriat Crew Cab, with a 5.4L 300HP V8. NO WAY would I trade in the Stang. I was going to buy the black F-150 to match my Stang...but I ended up getting the burgandy (very close to the Mustang Redfire). After driving my Fusion, the 5.4L V8 of the F-150 seems like a whole different ride.

Anyways, just thought I would share with you all. Hope you all are enjoying your Labor Day weekend. :shigrin

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
nice truck, only downside is the difference in the amount of money your now going to spend filling up that F150 will probably be as much as the payment on the Fusion. 1 of only 2 complaints i have about mine. 12 MPG. no sh1t. it should have came with a fuel truck to pace it....:mad: two things ford needs desperately needs to improve upon in thier trucks: stereos and fuel economy. other than that, the new F150 is awesome and drives like no other truck i have ever had. 5 star crash rating and will tow 9900 lbs too, in a 150 series truck!!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Dont feel bad, Dodge trucks get worse gas milage than fords....and i know someone who has a F series with a deisel and it gets pretty good gas milage...as long as you dont Romp on it and keep the RPMs in check. I got rid of my full size GMC sierra because gas was starting to kill me, so i got a 4 cyl toyota to replace it. Its not as glamourous as my GMC, but the gas milage is awesome.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I did get seduced by mpg.

I traded my gas guzzling '04 Expedition for a '06 GT that takes its gas according to gas pedal input as opposed to just moving. Went from 12mpg to 19(ish)mpg and my family and I are very excited. After reading through the forum for a day or two I feel pretty lucky to have found such a sweet 5spd at 0%. There were only two on the lot that had just been delivered from 2 other dealers. I bought the Silver and an employee bought the black. They did have 15 auto GT deluxe cars but they paled in comparison after cruzing my car.
Everytime the garage door opens I almost well up!:D

Heres a link to pics from the day she came home. Windows not even tinted yet.

pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/[email protected]cglobal.net/detail?.dir=ed0bre2&.dnm=53b1re2.jpg&.src=ph

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
I had a 97 F-350 4x4 crew cab (460 V8). I think I got about 8 mpg. Got so I could no longer afford to drive it. Traded it a few years back for an 03 Ram turbo diesel (almost 20 mpg on th highway).

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear what you are all saying, but some background information may be helpful. First, my Mustang only gets 13-15 MPG in normal driving. I grant, it is mostly local driving. Even onthe freeway, and I keep her at 70 mph most of the time, I still only get 17-18 mpg.

Next, my Fusion wa sup for adoption because of the crappy gas mileage it got. It had a 3.0 V6 w/6-spd auto tranny. It was rated at 32 MPG. I tried everything with this car...I tried driving with cruise control on, staying right at speed limit (65 mph), I tried driving at 70 mph, and kept most of the driving on the freeway. I even let others drive the car who ar know for getting max mileage, AND after all that, I could manage was 22 MPG. I had taken the car in had it tested and still no improvement. Then to top it off, it had that nasty 3 second throttle lag. Again, nothing fixed that.

Lastly, my brother just bought the same truck and he then promptly took it on a 500 mile road trip, and he said he was getting 18-19 mpg on open highway. My new truck is rated for an average of 19 mpg. I grant, that is not likely to be accurate, but based on others I have seen, it comes damn close. So with 0% financing, my payment is only $100 more than the Fusion, and the gas mileage is not quite the same but is not grossly off. The F-150 is a much better ride in every aspect than the Fusion plus I have more utility with it than the Fusion.

So IMHO, the added cost for a truck, for which I have always liked and missed since selling mine years ago, is worth it compared to having a round the mill sedan that did not deliver what it promised.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
ive been averaging 23 to 24 in the stang:eyepoppin granted i live in a rural town with only 4 stoplights in the whole area... but dang, i got 14 mpg hard on the throttle at the drag strip....

·
Registered
412 Posts
I spend most of my time over at "F150online" and the rage over there lately is for guys to trade in their trucks for a new Ford Focus because of the poor gas mileage.

Don't expect great mileage out of your truck -- it just doesn't happen. I seriously question someone getting 17-18 MPG with any consistency on one of the new bodystyle trucks with the 5.4 engine. They are just such heavy vehicles that it's tough to do unless you've got a feather-touch on the gas pedal.

I've never even checked the gas mileage on my F-150 since I wouldn't want to let knowing how bad it really is keep me from enjoying the sound of my MagnaFlow cat-back system as I pull away from a stoplight! Of course, I have the luxury of only using my F-150 as a weekend cruiser, so gas mileage really isn't all that important to me.

Anyways, welcome to the F-150 family -- they're really nice trucks as long as you're not counting on them to be daily drivers that deliver great fuel economy. Get over to "F150online" and sign up -- lots of great folks with a wealth of knowledge about the vehicles!

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
502 Posts
Mr. V: I like the combo! Now, anyone you can't dust off in the 'Stang, you can crush with the truck! A bruising fullback and a speedy tailback...sounds like a playoff contender to me...:eyepoppin

Good pickup...in both senses...enjoy it like crazy!

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I have a 2000 F-150 that is my daily driver. I get about 18-20mpg locally (with a Triton V-8). Personally, I'm lucky in that I don't have to commute (I work out of my home) and only have to fill up maybe twice a month at best. Truck wise, the F-150 gets OK gas mileage. In addition to this group I also belong to www.f-150online.com which is a very good site. They frequently have several hundred people online at any given time. I post there under the same user name. If you have any questions, they're a great bunch of people.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you F-150 owners know where I can find a tuner (such as SCT XCal2) for the 5.4L Triton V8 for an F-150? Now remember, I excet the mileasge to be worse in the truck, but then again I was only getgtign 22 mpg in the Fusion, and in my opinion, the F-150 is so much nicer of a vehcile thgan the Fusion. Oh well, if anyone does know of a tuner fo rthe F-150, 5.4L V8, please let me know.

·
Registered
386 Posts
mrvandermey said:
Anyways, just thought I would share with you all. Hope you all are enjoying your Labor Day weekend. :shigrin
Wow , Congrats !!! The F-150 is an awesome truck. IMO , great move ...& trucks are practical besides retaining way more value. Post some pics when you get a chance .

·
Registered
126 Posts
congrats on the new ride. stay in touch and post some pics

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Off topic, sorry for all the mispellings in my last post, I am not the best typist to begin with, but when I type a post after enjoying a Labor Day BBQ (and some beer) and I am tired, my typing gets really bad.

I will post a few pics real soon. I must admit, she is a fine ride. Okay so maybe the prices at the pump may make me grumble, but money is not everything and in all reality, my Fusion was not doing me any favors with only 22 mpg.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
mrvandermey said:
Do you F-150 owners know where I can find a tuner (such as SCT XCal2) for the 5.4L Triton V8 for an F-150? Now remember, I excet the mileasge to be worse in the truck, but then again I was only getgtign 22 mpg in the Fusion, and in my opinion, the F-150 is so much nicer of a vehcile thgan the Fusion. Oh well, if anyone does know of a tuner fo rthe F-150, 5.4L V8, please let me know.
diablosport makes a predator for it. same price as the stang predator. no, you cant use your stang predator on the truck. different interface. i had the idea of buying a stang one, uploading a tune for the truck and the stang, unlocking it from one to install onto the other (since stang is a weekend cruiser mostly anyhow, i wouldnt need a tune in it all the time). but i was informed by a vendor of Diablosport that my idea wouldnt work because of the cable.:mad: he also informed me that the F150's economy cant be changed very drammatically. he said i might get 1 mpg better mileage, if even that. he stated that tunes on the F150 did more for HP and towing than anything else, and that the computer on the truck left little room for economy improvements.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hhhmmmm.....I guess I will learn to drive like an old man...or at least very close to the speed limit with "responsible" take-offs and "civilized" braking. I am buying a hard tonneau cover for both looks and very minor increase to efficiency (fuel mileage). I will be happy if I can 18+ mpg. If I turn out to get consisently worse, then I will pick up a throw away commuter.

·
Registered
412 Posts
mrvandermey said:
Hhhmmmm.....I guess I will learn to drive like an old man...or at least very close to the speed limit with "responsible" take-offs and "civilized" braking. I am buying a hard tonneau cover for both looks and very minor increase to efficiency (fuel mileage). I will be happy if I can 18+ mpg. If I turn out to get consisently worse, then I will pick up a throw away commuter.
Expect somewhere in the 13-14 MPG range with the new F-150 and a 5.4L 3V engine.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
ive been getting 12. my old 02 Z71 Ext Cab got 17, but the F150 is a bit heavier. the real fact is that fords have never been known for thier gas mileage, im surprised we get as good of gas mileage as we do from our stangs. that F150 sure drives damn nice though dont it Vandermey?:gringreen ill tell you something else too, it is a heck of a lot easier to park that supercrew than it was my 02 ext cab chevy. that thing had a turning radius like a mack truck. now i know why chevy is the only truck to come with optional 4 wheel steering.... they need it to negotiate parking lots.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I grant I may be hoping for a miracle in gas mileage, considering my FORD Fusion only got 22 MPG (it was rated at 32 mpg) and my FORD Mustang only gets 14-18 MPG (rated at 26 mpg). So it is likely the 19 mpg on the window sticker of the FORD F-150 my be a stretch. With that said, I may have mentioned this before, but my brother just bought the same truck a few days before I did, except his is the longer bed/wheelbase and is 4x4, and he is getting 18.5 mpg on the freeway on his last road trip. When I had my '02 explorer with the 4.6L, I consistently got between 18-21 mpg and I drove it hard.

Regardless of the gas mileage, I will say, the ride is nice. I did not sacrifice style or comfort...I got most of the bells and whistles. She is well equiped. Once upon a time, I had a Chevy Silverado with the 5.3L V8 (got 20-21 mpg) and then I sold it for some reason and have always regretted that decision. Now that I have a F-150, the Ford blows the Chevy out of the water. Very smooth ride. Barely can tell it is a truck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We just got an '06 GT convertible (150 miles from home). We averaged right around 25 mpg @ 65mph; we were duly impressed. Believe it or not, the Crown Vic we traded in would get 24-26 mpg hiway; our '89 Cougar (supercharged XR7) is good for 25+ hiway also. My '04 Hemi Ram QC 4x4 will knock down 19-20 hiway after some mods; Fram CAI, synthetics and a "SuperChips" programmer. The worst of the bunch is my 1963 Chevy BelAir (400 small block, 4 speed......); it only gets around 16mpg hiway. Thank god the Harley is good for around 45mpg. Rats, I just realized we have too many toys! Anyone interested in a clean 1989 Cougar XR7 w/87,000 miles? It's in the "Other Ford Cars & Trucks" for sale forum.

T

1 - 20 of 27 Posts