Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Although I am not as gas senistive as many others, and I do realize this is a truck and that there really is not a way to maximize fuel efficiency, I am still going to do several things to help it along. One thing I did notice on the window sticker, apparently the F-150 has a 3.55 gear ratio, that should help minutely. I am going to put synthetic oil in her (I hear that helps with 1 or 2 mpg), of course I am getting a hard tonneau cover (I have like those regardless of the mpg), and I am probably going to add a CAI and dual exhaust. I was going to use a tuner, but just talking to you all on this thread makes it apparent that wont help much. If I do become a slave to the pump, I will just go buy a little beater and run that to the ground.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Gearing

I personally have not gone this route (yet), but if you go to the "Dodge Talk" Forum and look under the 3rd gen Hemi Rams, it is noted by quite a few members that installing 4.56 gears :eyepoppinINCREASES:eyepoppin mileage. The Hemi Rams come stock w/ a 3.92 ratio; going to the 4.56's gets the mass rolling w/ less fuel and because of the deep 5th gear (2nd OD), it is claimed that cruising at normal hiway speeds is not affected. I don't know how deep the OD is on an F150, but it may be worth looking into.

T

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
mrvandermey said:
Although I am not as gas senistive as many others, and I do realize this is a truck and that there really is not a way to maximize fuel efficiency, I am still going to do several things to help it along. One thing I did notice on the window sticker, apparently the F-150 has a 3.55 gear ratio, that should help minutely. I am going to put synthetic oil in her (I hear that helps with 1 or 2 mpg), of course I am getting a hard tonneau cover (I have like those regardless of the mpg), and I am probably going to add a CAI and dual exhaust. I was going to use a tuner, but just talking to you all on this thread makes it apparent that wont help much. If I do become a slave to the pump, I will just go buy a little beater and run that to the ground.
hey vandermey, have you looked under the hood of your F150? if so, did you take notice of that mess of crap ford calls an air intake that is bolted to the engine? i mean it looks like a big plastic maze, has to be restrictive as hell. i would get a cold air kit for it, im sure someone makes one. get on one of those f150 forums, im sure someone can point you in the right direction. i would do it to mine, but if have 300 or so bucks to spend, ill buy one for the stang first... but the f150 needs one bad! it would add some hp and maybe even help some with the mileage. dang sure aint gonna hurt...

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
already thought of that, just ordered a K&N CAI and a hard tonneau cover. Looking to put dual exhaust on as well. Anything I can do lessen the stress of driving her daily, since I refuse to drive the Stang daily.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
ddellwo said:
Expect somewhere in the 13-14 MPG range with the new F-150 and a 5.4L 3V engine.
Okay all, just an update, I have driving my new F-150 as my daily driver now for a little over a week. I have put about 750 miles on her and I am averaging 17 mpg. I have ordered a CAI, dual exhaust and a tonneau cover hopiing to squeak out 3-4 mpg more. But right now, not doing too bad considering she is a 5150 lb. beast wiht a 300 hp 5.4L V8. Heck, right now I am getting better mileage in the truck than I am getting in my Stang.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hot Damn, I just came back from a road trip, I hit 18 mpg without doing anything to my truck. I just installed the K&N CAI today...YES, I did it myself (I am moving up with projects). I musxt admit, the hardest part was installing the seal on the heat shield. Next week I will be adding my tonneau cover (I decided to go for a hinged soft tonneau cover instead of a hard tonneau cover, in order to save on costs) to further increase gas mileage. Anyways, as promised here is a pic of my new daily driver. I was going to get a black truck or a Harley Davidson Truck in order to match my Stang, but decided that black is too much trouble to keep looking good and having one black car is enough. Enjoy. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
GTNOS said:
hey vandermey, have you looked under the hood of your F150? if so, did you take notice of that mess of crap ford calls an air intake that is bolted to the engine? i mean it looks like a big plastic maze, has to be restrictive as hell. i would get a cold air kit for it, im sure someone makes one. get on one of those f150 forums, im sure someone can point you in the right direction. i would do it to mine, but if have 300 or so bucks to spend, ill buy one for the stang first... but the f150 needs one bad! it would add some hp and maybe even help some with the mileage. dang sure aint gonna hurt...
After installing a K&N CAI, I am now managing a cool 19.5 mpg in my new F-150 (highway mileage of course). Without a doubt, I recommend a CAI. You can really hear the new intake when increasing in speed. I do not recall my K&N CAI in my Mustang having as much of an effect. In fact, since modding my Stang, the mileage has dropped significantly...like to 15 mpg. Whereas just adding a CAI to my F-150 has increased mileage by 2-2.5 mpg. I will be adding a tonneau cover in a few days to see if I can crest over the 20 mpg mark. Anyways, I am enjoying my new truck.

On another note, I took the Stang out this weekend to really break in the Baer 14" brakes. Boy was she a little hot....after breaking the brakes in, I cruised around for a little while to cool them off a bit. :hihi:

21 - 27 of 27 Posts