Votes: 4 33.3%
  • 18x9 American Muscle Version all around and new rear tires

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the current wheels (2008 style GT500's) and tires due to the price I got them for and it got me into 18x9.5's with some beefy staggered tires instead of my old stock 17's.

I "like" my current wheels but am starting to like the newer design GT500 wheels more. The good thing about these is that they are also 18x9.5's and are a factory fit. The newer GT500 style from American Muscle is nice too but doesn't come in 18x9.5 so I'd need to buy 18x10's in the back or switch to a more narrow tire in the back if I got the 18x9's.

So old or new? Any input from others who have done this would be appreciated too.

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
If the money is burning a hole in your pocket than pull the trigger. the new ones are really nice looking.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
the new ones look alot better, you can easily source them on Ebay

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the new ones look alot better, you can easily source them on Ebay
That is where I'm looking at them. $750 and free shipping for new in the box. I figure I can get $300-$400 for my current ones on craigslist.

There was a seller on ebay advertising (with the picture) "dark argent" versions (the all dark gray) but then the description said aluminum wheel with polished spokes and dark argent "inserts". I emailed them and then the main picture changed to the polished ones, the one in their auction still has a blue GT500 with the dark wheels, shocking...it's Blue Oval Industries. Of course they haven't emailed me back. :gringreen

·
Registered
927 Posts
you should go a step further and get the 2011 gt500 style wheels. man do they look good

Attachments

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Keep them or go with the AM versions. You already have staggered tires, right? The 2011's look too busy for me, and harder to clean. I like the original 2007+ wheels.

Frank

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keep them or go with the AM versions. You already have staggered tires, right? The 2011's look too busy for me, and harder to clean. I like the original 2007+ wheels.

Frank
I do have the staggered tires. The 2011's are not an option for me, they are 19's and 20's and as 2010gt1 has in the picture provided, they do look busy. If you look at the picture between my car and the American Muscle version, that is the 2010 GT500 wheel that I like.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
The 2010 GT500 style wheel is my favorite wheel for the S197+ bodystyles. They are simple and clean while keeping the factory lines and body panels pronounced, which is hard to do on a split 5-spoke.

What color were you leaning towards?

The black-machined finish would look killer on silver!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 2010 GT500 style wheel is my favorite wheel for the S197+ bodystyles. They are simple and clean while keeping the factory lines and body panels pronounced, which is hard to do on a split 5-spoke.

What color were you leaning towards?

The black-machined finish would look killer on silver!:bigthumbsup
The one pictured. I'm not big into the dark wheels and think a little shine is still good. If you guys had them in 18x9.5 I would have done it already. That way if I want to get tires to match the front so I can rotate them, I could. The 18x10's do look pretty sweet though. I'll be keeping an eye out for sales/discounts. :bigthumbsup

Also, an FYI AMStanger. Chris in your call center/customer service is doing a great job. He's helping me get a replacement Eleanor grill, mine came with a bit of warp. I knew the customer service you guys provide is great so I wasn't worried but it exceeded what I thought, that's the way to do business. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
The one pictured. I'm not big into the dark wheels and think a little shine is still good. If you guys had them in 18x9.5 I would have done it already. That way if I want to get tires to match the front so I can rotate them, I could. The 18x10's do look pretty sweet though. I'll be keeping an eye out for sales/discounts. :bigthumbsup

Also, an FYI AMStanger. Chris in your call center/customer service is doing a great job. He's helping me get a replacement Eleanor grill, mine came with a bit of warp. I knew the customer service you guys provide is great so I wasn't worried but it exceeded what I thought, that's the way to do business. Thanks.

Yes, Chris is a valuable asset to the team and I'm very happy to hear he is getting you taken care of!

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns in the future:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
So I got the current wheels (2008 style GT500's) and tires due to the price I got them for and it got me into 18x9.5's with some beefy staggered tires instead of my old stock 17's.

I "like" my current wheels but am starting to like the newer design GT500 wheels more.

[...]

So old or new? Any input from others who have done this would be appreciated too.
For my money, the newer ones would have to have some practical advantage over the older ones.

Lighter weight? Easier to clean? Clear-coated on the back as well as the front?

If none of the above, nor any other practical improvement, save your money. Once you are in the business seat and driving, you can't see them anyway.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I`m going against the grain by saying keep what you have. Those are far more unique IMHO.

·
Registered
68 Posts
With your car color I think the 2010 GT500 wheels wouldn't look good. In the picture they look bronzey. I agree with the AMstanger that the black and machined staggered wheels would look amazing. Haha you said "Chris" was doing a great job then AMstanger said he was awesome and look in his sig..."Chris Young" :heha:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With your car color I think the 2010 GT500 wheels wouldn't look good. In the picture they look bronzey. I agree with the AMstanger that the black and machined staggered wheels would look amazing. Haha you said "Chris" was doing a great job then AMstanger said he was awesome and look in his sig..."Chris Young" :heha:
Didn't even notice the name. The Chris I talked to said he didn't do any of the forums. Hmmmm. :D

The factory GT500 wheels have the same polish.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had a sign (not a Bill Engvall one either) when I went to a show & shine this morning to raise money for the Ronald McDonald house. I pulled in and parked next to another Mustang and when I got out he asked me how much I wanted for my rims, he wants another set for his track day events. I said $500 he said okay. So, decisions decisions. lol

If AMStanger is lurking, am I correct that I would need 18x9's in the front and 18x10's in the back for my current tires?

·
Registered
717 Posts
+1 on keep the current ones, but the 2010 GT500 wheels do look good. I think you will have a winner either way you go. +1 on AM's customer service. They are by all standards the best in service. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I keep seeing this picture and since my car is similar in color it makes me think about these. Also, I just found a set for $599 but I want to find out if they are brand new or take-offs that might have some knicks.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Different Chris, but there are 3 of us here, so you will see and hear of lots of Chris' activity around the company and the forums:D

I had a sign (not a Bill Engvall one either) when I went to a show & shine this morning to raise money for the Ronald McDonald house. I pulled in and parked next to another Mustang and when I got out he asked me how much I wanted for my rims, he wants another set for his track day events. I said $500 he said okay. So, decisions decisions. lol

If AMStanger is lurking, am I correct that I would need 18x9's in the front and 18x10's in the back for my current tires?

Yes, on the tire sizes you have listed in your signature, you would want to put 18X9s in the front and 18X10s in the rear.:bigthumbsup

I hope this helps!

Let me know if I can be of any assistance in the future!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm on a bit of a budget and the girlfriend is pretty understanding but 20's and all new tires.....too much money and too much headache. :gringreen

1 - 20 of 24 Posts