Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I don't know anything about them, but the cost is certainly low. If was me, I'd pay the extra cost for an xtreme supercharger, much cleaner, simpler setup.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, the compressor based chargers are too expensive - the base cost + shipping + installation + value of my V6 makes it close to the value of a similar GT. In such case I'd rather buy a GT and have a stronger base for even more power...

I'm looking for something cheap enough to make this V6 mod cost effective comparing to selling my V6 and buying a GT...

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I'm gonna look into this...heck its in Sunbury OH, that's right up the road from me!!! Is that where On 3 is based??

Sent from the "Angry 6er" via Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, some of their items on eBay say it's Sunbury others, Westerville - each location is thousands miles from me, so doesn't make any difference ;)

But if you could check this out that would be great.

If this can really work well on a V6, even if there is some more or less hassle with installation, this sounds like a really good deal...

I'm hesitating whether to buy and install this kit in my V6 or keep saving for a GT... telling the truth, I'd rather prefer to find somebody already having this installed in his V6 before I order, ship and install overseas...

I hope you understand my point :)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Good find! I'm actually really interested in this! The only thing I can see is you would need larger injectors. Also you would have to get a dyno tune.. Still brings it under 3 grand most likely.. A vortech kit is only 3450 on ebay though and it comes with a tuner that will get you going at least.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, concerning the installation and tune, in our Mustang Klub of Poland we have quite good member tuner working on HP Tuners software. He already tuned many of our cars including mine. The good thing about it is it's not a "standard" tune, but the tune done for a specific setup in a specific car (with sonda in the exhaust, live logging, etc.)

He also builds and tunes motocycles and builds turbos for other cars - HD Customs

He said he should be able to install and tune for reasonable money.

If you have not found it yet, HERE is quite a good write-up about very similar On3Performance turbo Kit installation in a GT.

As I said before - before I decide to buy this kit I'd be very interested in the results of any of you if you got tempted to install this ;)

I think that 3.73/4.10 gears + this turbo Kit can turn our V6 into quite fast beasts beating stock GTs with ease...

PS.
VORTECH is an option too, but if I read correctly, the On3Performance turbo kit should provide more potential than supercharger. The high output VORTECH is already 1k more. Depends on who prefers what - I like the idea of keeping the mileage and using the power only when needed. The gear swap should improve the low end where there is no turbo boost yet...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Yup, concerning the installation and tune, in our Mustang Klub of Poland we have quite good member tuner working on HP Tuners software. He already tuned many of our cars including mine. The good thing about it is it's not a "standard" tune, but the tune done for a specific setup in a specific car (with sonda in the exhaust, live logging, etc.)

He also builds and tunes motocycles and builds turbos for other cars - HD Customs

He said he should be able to install and tune for reasonable money.

If you have not found it yet, HERE is quite a good write-up about very similar On3Performance turbo Kit installation in a GT.

As I said before - before I decide to buy this kit I'd be very interested in the results of any of you if you got tempted to install this ;)

I think that 3.73/4.10 gears + this turbo Kit can turn our V6 into quite fast beasts beating stock GTs with ease...

PS.
VORTECH is an option too, but if I read correctly, the On3Performance turbo kit should provide more potential than supercharger. The high output VORTECH is already 1k more. Depends on who prefers what - I like the idea of keeping the mileage and using the power only when needed. The gear swap should improve the low end where there is no turbo boost yet...

To be honest, I like the idea of a turbo better than a supercharger. Just knowing the efficiency is higher makes me happy. And also turbo spool is THE. BEST. SOUND. I used to have a turbo GTI and it was so fun to listen to the spool up and blow off.

Hmm..... I'm going to have to think about this one. What kind of estimate is your guy thinking of for a turbo tune? I know there are some places in the northwest that will dyno tune for about 500 or so.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
To be honest, I like the idea of a turbo better than a supercharger. Just knowing the efficiency is higher makes me happy. And also turbo spool is THE. BEST. SOUND. I used to have a turbo GTI and it was so fun to listen to the spool up and blow off.

Hmm..... I'm going to have to think about this one. What kind of estimate is your guy thinking of for a turbo tune? I know there are some places in the northwest that will dyno tune for about 500 or so.
That sounds about right. A shop around here quoted me $500 for a dyno tune, and they offer complimentary retunes for later upgrades :thumbup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes, my tuner quotes something around that for a custom tune. the other good thing is he will do the whole install too so it's the best combination to have the same person to install and then tune.

so gents, when are you gonna install this turbo in your V6? ;)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
yes, my tuner quotes something around that for a custom tune. the other good thing is he will do the whole install too so it's the best combination to have the same person to install and then tune.

If I had the money I'd do it asap. I'm actually working on getting a 2nd job to help save for it.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
The on3 kits are VERY popular with the foxbody guys. You should find plenty of build threads if you google. The general consensus is, it's not quite as nice as the big name kits, you may have to do some slight tweaking to get all the piping to fit just right, but the gains/$ can't be beat.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
The on3 kits are VERY popular with the foxbody guys. You should find plenty of build threads if you google. The general consensus is, it's not quite as nice as the big name kits, you may have to do some slight tweaking to get all the piping to fit just right, but the gains/$ can't be beat.
I've looked around a bit and it seems the Fox kits need some tweaking but the S197s, from what I've read, fit like a glove. The only bad things I've read is their customer service sometimes leaves a little to be desired.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, here, thousands miles away and in different time zone, I have mainly to count on myself and the tuner that is going to install and tune this kit. Thi s is one of the reasons I'm looking for someone in US that would install this in V6 and confirm it works and how it works and what was the struggles, etc.

So, go ahead gents! :smilie no, really I'd be very happy to avoid being a pioneer in my situation ;)

One other thing: the turbo with auto tranny - I've read around and there are opinions that this is bad idea as with auto it will not be possible to keep the boost between gears shifts (however I think I can allwas manually switch gears 1-2-3-D with overdrive off, when I want to) but the others say it's just a matter of tuning to eliminate the turbo hole. The other thing is that I like the idea to avoid forcing the max revs when I do not need that much power and let the tranny shift below the turbo threshold but do the pedal to the metal when needed and then have the tranny tuned to keep the proper minimum revs.

What is you experience with such setup - turbo+automatic?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

I have the money to do it, but I don't have the time! Maybe this summer :)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I'll lend it to ya! But I gotta warn you, my interest rates are STEEP.
That's ok cause you only pay those if you intend NOT to default :p

I picked up a decent part time job today to assist in the mod department :thumbup:
Hoping this will be something I get early next year.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I wonder if this turbo can give our stang enough power to beat one of those sauburus lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts