Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 GT that's heavily modified with Comp Cams XFI Stage 2 NSR Cams, Magnuson MagnaCharger Intercooled Supercharger, Steeda CAI, JBA Cat4Ward Headers, FRPP 4.10 Gears, FRPP 62mm TB, MAC Pro Chamber Mid-Pipe, Bassani Axle Backs and a few minor items. I've purchased 3 email tunes over the years (bought car new in 2006, supercharger installed in 2010) but she doesn't seem to have the seat-of-the-pants raw power I was expecting from this combination. Could it be that some of the performance mods are working against one another? I'm sure that a dyno tune would dial it in but wondering if it's money worth spending since the email tunes supposedly took into consideration all of the mods. Thoughts??

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Any of those email tunes give you tangible evidence, like a detailed performance report proving that they improved anything?

·
Super Moderator
1,630 Posts
I highly recommend a Dyno tune, considering all of your mods.

Reactions: marylandGT

·
2,805 Posts
For a relatively stock car the mail order tunes can be a "ok" route. Not ideal, but "ok"... For a more heavily modded car like yours I would say on a 1-10 scale it is a 10 being a must in my opinion.

Reactions: marylandGT

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys......looks like I'll get her on a dyno ASAP.

Reactions: MustangLife

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
agreed a good dyno tune would be best . . . but next best might be a remote tune with datalogging by Lito ([email protected])

·
Registered
486 Posts
A proper email tune will give you the same results as tuning on a dyno, it will just take longer.

Proper email tune starts with the base tune based on the engine modes. You then make saveral WOT pulls through the rpm range while data logging. The log file is sent to the tuner who then modifies the tune based on the logs and sends a modified tune. You repeat the process until you and the tuner agree its dialed in. This is no different than going to a dyno shop except with the dyno shop it can be done in a few hours.

Besides being less expensive one of the other advantages of an email tune is the ability to pay a nominal extra fee for "tunes for life". So in the future if you make additional modifications you can send the tuner a log and he will adjust the tune as required.

OP i would contact the tuner you used and talk to him about modifying the tune based on data logs before spending the bucks at a dyno shop.

As always your results are going to be based on the knowledge and experience of the tuner you use whether its the local dyno shop or an email tuner.

Dave

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Before I take her to get dyno tuned (or email tune with logging), should I replace the factory MAS? I've been looking at SCT BA5000 Big Air Slot Style MAF or Granatelli High Performance Slot-Style MAF. Was thinking of getting all engine related mods done before tuning. Not sure if I need one.....reason to ask your opinions.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A proper email tune will give you the same results as tuning on a dyno, it will just take longer.

Proper email tune starts with the base tune based on the engine modes. You then make saveral WOT pulls through the rpm range while data logging. The log file is sent to the tuner who then modifies the tune based on the logs and sends a modified tune. You repeat the process until you and the tuner agree its dialed in. This is no different than going to a dyno shop except with the dyno shop it can be done in a few hours.

Besides being less expensive one of the other advantages of an email tune is the ability to pay a nominal extra fee for "tunes for life". So in the future if you make additional modifications you can send the tuner a log and he will adjust the tune as required.

OP i would contact the tuner you used and talk to him about modifying the tune based on data logs before spending the bucks at a dyno shop.

As always your results are going to be based on the knowledge and experience of the tuner you use whether its the local dyno shop or an email tuner.

Dave
Thanks Dave. Your reply gave me an idea....back in 2010 when I first installed the MagnaCharger I purchased an email tune from Chris Rose, who at the time was with Tillman Speed. I data logged it and sent the log file to Chris who made several adjustments and the car ran great. However, in 2015 I installed the FRPP 62mm TB and purchased an email tune from JMS in MS thinking that it needed an updated tune. I had heard that Chris left Tillman and joined BAMA Tunes at American Muscle. I contacted them for the tune but was told that they don't tune for superchargers. Note that I didn't data log this time. Around that time I had a boat which consumed most of my free time so I left the Mustang setting in the garage without driving it much. I recently sold the boat and have refocused my attention on the Stang. It wasn't running as well as I thought that it should so I purchased another email tune from JMS and tried this time to data log, but couldn't get it to work so they sent me a "canned tune". After reading your reply this morning I decided to reflash the computer with the original Chris Rose tune that had been optimized per the log files and she ran awesome! More power and the boost gauge indicated more boost at WOT (5 PSI versus 3 max before).

Question, when you disconnect the battery for replacement, etc., do you need to reflash the computer? That's one of the reasons I figured it wasn't running well after battery replacement a few years ago. Thanks for the assist!

·
Registered
486 Posts
The tune is stored in non volatile memory. Disconnecting the battery WILL NOT cause you to loose the tune.

Dave

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Before I take her to get dyno tuned (or email tune with logging), should I replace the factory MAS? I've been looking at SCT BA5000 Big Air Slot Style MAF or Granatelli High Performance Slot-Style MAF. Was thinking of getting all engine related mods done before tuning. Not sure if I need one.....reason to ask your opinions.
I'm pretty sure the only reason you would need a different Mass Air Flow Sensor is if the signals are "out of range" on the current one, and I'm guessing that is probably not the case.

"Lito" (aka Manuel Pazo, [email protected]) has a great reputation for remote tuning using datalogs on these cars, including supercharged cars. (he is the "go to guy" for Department Of Boost supercharged cars.) With one datalog, he will be able to tell if you need a different MAF Sensor. He should also be able to help you figure out how to get the datalog to work; you will need a fairly current tuner and a laptop.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Ok. It sat for a while while you went fishing.lol. No problem. I love fishing!
You put a 62mm TB on it a got a mail order tune. Your not happy.
The boats squared away now the car car needs attention.
Full maintainance just like it was n/a.
Clean the air filter and maf. Clean throttle body. How old are the plugs, fuel filter and tyranny fluid.
New oil.
I'm not gonna get into suspension and rear tires. You know if they need to be addressed.
You've spent a lot of money getting this car to where it is. Now is not the time to try to convince yourself that data logging is just as good and cheaper, as a reputable dyno tunner that loves hot rods.

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
When I went from n/a to F/I on my ‘95 the first pull was only 240 some odd from a previous 223 on the old n/a tune. After the tuner guy did his thing it made 332. Tuning in real-time is pretty important when going from n/a to f/i.
No tuning is necessary really with a new TB. Larger TB’s don’t let much more air in than stock ones if any. The second tuner sold you a crap tune.

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
. . . . Now is not the time to try to convince yourself that data logging is just as good and cheaper, as a reputable dyno tunner that loves hot rods.
just to be clear, I wasn't trying to convince anyone of that . . . just offering it as a decent option if you don't have a dyno shop anywhere nearby or within a reasonable drive, or if you talk to the dyno guy and get the feeling he doesn't know what you are talking about

1 - 15 of 15 Posts